Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded

Hey All,

I am from Puyallup, WA and I was banded 9 days ago, on April 18, 2011. I had my surgery done by Dr. Robert Michaelson out of North West Weight Loss Surgery (he operates out of the surgical center there, but my surgery was done at Evergreen Hospital in Kirkland.)

I had my first follow up yesterday, and between the 7 days pre op liquid diet and 8 days post op, I am down 24.4lbs already. I have 195.6lbs left to go...and I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm really looking for support from people who have been banded, because I am having some emotional issues. I have anxiety already, but it has gotten worse since surgery. I want to stay positive, but it is hard when I am crying and scared everyday. Any positive advice or words of wisdom?

-Thanks!

Liz

Hey Liz,

Explain the source of your anxiety? I did not have any but I am a cheerleader for those starting out. How can I help?

I have had struggles and ups and downs, but never worried. For me this was my last hope and it has been a real journey to say the least. I love my new life, the energy, the giving clotes away. It is just amazing at what has been done and the transfermation to my heart and soul. I think differently, I eat differently. I really am having the time of my life, I think the liquid diet has a tendancy to make people a little down but you should be starting mushy foods and then solids, so it has no where to go but up. The postitives are, you are doing something for you, you are taking charge of your life, food is no longer the boss of you, you are making yourself healthier and adding to the years of your life. You are giving family and friends more time with you. You feel better about who you are. A new personality, the real one will be coming out and you will shine. What you are dealing with now is so temporary. The future has nothing but postitives ahead. So get over the blues, the negatives and start enjoying your new life. You are becoming the best you possible one meal at a time.!

Tell me what I can do to help.

I had mine on 21st - also felt teary and anxious. Put some of it down to low blood sugar, some of it posdt anaesthetic blues, some of it down to fear both of what I had done and fear of the unknown. My way of dealing with it = just caring for myself and not having high expectations of what I can achieve for a couple of weeks.

Hey All,

I am from Puyallup, WA and I was banded 9 days ago, on April 18, 2011. I had my surgery done by Dr. Robert Michaelson out of North West Weight Loss Surgery (he operates out of the surgical center there, but my surgery was done at Evergreen Hospital in Kirkland.)

I had my first follow up yesterday, and between the 7 days pre op liquid diet and 8 days post op, I am down 24.4lbs already. I have 195.6lbs left to go...and I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm really looking for support from people who have been banded, because I am having some emotional issues. I have anxiety already, but it has gotten worse since surgery. I want to stay positive, but it is hard when I am crying and scared everyday. Any positive advice or words of wisdom?

-Thanks!

Liz

Hey All,

-Thanks!

Liz

Hi Liz,

Boy, can I relate!! I was banded on April 21, 2011. I felt totally the same 2 days post surgery. I just started crying and couldn't stop for about 3 days. It was very scary!! I even called my doctor the Monday following and told him I wanted it OUT! Of course he said no, I had to wait a month. I blamed the anestitia (I know I misspelled that word, sorry) and the pain meds, tylenol with codeine did not help me.

When I went in for my follow up almost a week later I felt better and I am willing to try it, I do get the anxiety but only because I have had nausea for the past two nights, not sure why but its a pain in the butt!!! I want everything healed and I want to be back to pre surgery health. I know I need to be more patient but its hard at times.

I have started some soft food and that has helped me feel more like myself prior surgery. I lost 10 pounds and glad to hear you lost almost 25 pounds, thats great!!!

We both need to try to stay positive and know this is going to help in the long run.

Knowing it can be removed does put my mind at ease though. In order for me to be successful with the lap band I need to be completely happy with it.