Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone actually NOT cheated on 2 week pre-op diet?

Hi guys,

I know how important the pre-op diet is to shrink your liver and make it a safer surgery, but did you actually complete the whole two weeks without slipping up once? I start my diet on Monday and I'm hoping I can do it without cheating. If I do cheat, maybe I'll just have a piece of grilled chicken or something. But hoping I can make it!

Hi guys,

I know how important the pre-op diet is to shrink your liver and make it a safer surgery, but did you actually complete the whole two weeks without slipping up once? I start my diet on Monday and I'm hoping I can do it without cheating. If I do cheat, maybe I'll just have a piece of grilled chicken or something. But hoping I can make it!

I managed to complete the 2 weeks without slipping up. What helped me & continues to help me is that I told my coworkers that I was having the lapband surgery.Furthermore, I am an RN& am responsible for the care of the bariatric patients. I also lost 17lbs on the Optifast liquid diet.

I didn't cheat. I knew my doc was going to fill my band if I lost enough weight. I lost 9lbs and got 5cc's an hour after surgery.

It is worth it to NOT cheat and it sets a tone for the rest of your journey. NOTHING and I mean nothing feels as good as health or taste as good as knowing you gave it your all. If you give in now, you will give in later and that is not the best for your success, Do this all the way the right way or don't do it all. I am just saying, IT IS WORTH DOING IT RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING. Don't sabatoge your journey already!! Just don't do it. I beg you to follow the Dr. order to a T and you will have huge success in the days ahead.

I did not cheat either...it's getting it into your head that you will not. Even three weeks after the band I have still not cheated, because all I would be cheating is my weight loss. ( No chocolate in over amonth I must be crazy!!!) Good luck

Hi guys,

Yes, that is what the pre-op diet is for. However, it does have side effects: moodiness, extreme hunger, depression, anger, fatigue, tiredness, weakness, etc. This is how I felt during my pre-op diet and my surgeon is very liberal about his (I have attached a link below). Of course I cheated (I guess within reason)! LOL! I went to Red Lobster and ate some grilled stuffed fish and a salad (with dressing), but I avoided the biscuits and I went to Cheddar's and I got a baked chicken breast and broccoli and green Beans. If I had the willpower to stick to a restrictive diet that has me feeling like I am about to pass out and snapping at everyone because I am so miserable I would not need the band. The lap band has curbed my hunger, which always plagued me while dieting. I would become so hungry I would get tired of it and just say fuck it and eat everything in sight. I knew the band would help and it sure has. I hope you can make it too, but do not beat yourself up if do wind up eating that chicken breast. I couldn't imagine sticking to nothing but liquids for 2 weeks. Good luck!

My Surgeon's Preop Diet

I cheated every day except one of my 2 week Optifast diet. But I ate only salads or chicken breast with veggies. I ended up down 11 lbs in the month between consult and surgery. I also rode my bike a few times including one ride over 1:40 and another just over an hour.

This is day 8 and SO FAR i have not cheated. I almost lost it today because our office had a pizza party. we usually order a salad with the pizza and of course, the day that i would actually eat the salad, they didn't order it. Once i smelled that delicious aroma wafting by me I thought for sure I was toast. i walked into the room (looking for the salad) and saw a veggie slice of pizza. i put it on my plate and walked out the door. i walked into the kitchen area (which was empty) took a piece of broccoli and a Tomato off of the pizza, ate it and tossed the rest of the slice in the garbage.

my next hurdle is a friday night meeting where they will order from a place that has the absolute best garlic bread on the planet. fingers crossed that they at least have a salad. today was very difficult.....but i can see the light at the end of the liquid tunnel, so i am going to do my very best to take it one day, one meal at a time and not cheat.

That is some great will power to have the slice of pizza on your plate and only eat the veggies.

I'm still amazed that I did it. if it would have been day 1 or 2, forgeddabouditt, i would have totally eaten that sucker, but now at just a week away from surgery, i really had to think about what i was doing.

Thank you all for the advice. And you're right-- it's not worth it to cheat. I don't WANT to cheat, but we'll see if my head can overpower my stomach, lol. I am actually allowed one small meal a day-- a Protein like lean chicken or fish and salad or veggies. I can substitute that for a Lean Cuisine/ Smart Ones/ Healthy Choice as long as it's not pasta-based and is meat and veggies based. But that is seriously like no food for me, as I'm guessing it's the same for you guys. I'm hoping the hunger pangs will subside though and I'll be able to get through it.

This is day 8 and SO FAR i have not cheated. I almost lost it today because our office had a pizza party. we usually order a salad with the pizza and of course, the day that i would actually eat the salad, they didn't order it. Once i smelled that delicious aroma wafting by me I thought for sure I was toast. i walked into the room (looking for the salad) and saw a veggie slice of pizza. i put it on my plate and walked out the door. i walked into the kitchen area (which was empty) took a piece of broccoli and a Tomato off of the pizza, ate it and tossed the rest of the slice in the garbage.

my next hurdle is a friday night meeting where they will order from a place that has the absolute best garlic bread on the planet. fingers crossed that they at least have a salad. today was very difficult.....but i can see the light at the end of the liquid tunnel, so i am going to do my very best to take it one day, one meal at a time and not cheat.

Nice job!

i start my pre-op diet on may 9th...surgery may 20th....mine is all liquids. i'm praying for strength to do this and dont want to go with the mindset of allowing myself one slip up. that's what got me in this mess in the first place. the fact that i can have Soup and Protein shakes i'm praying will be enough. i hope i dont end up in the corner rocking and nawing on my arm! LOL!

Best wishes!

Thank you all for the advice. And you're right-- it's not worth it to cheat. I don't WANT to cheat, but we'll see if my head can overpower my stomach, lol. I am actually allowed one small meal a day-- a Protein like lean chicken or fish and salad or veggies. I can substitute that for a Lean Cuisine/ Smart Ones/ Healthy Choice as long as it's not pasta-based and is meat and veggies based. But that is seriously like no food for me, as I'm guessing it's the same for you guys. I'm hoping the hunger pangs will subside though and I'll be able to get through it.

I did Opti-Fast (5 shakes per day w/nothing else) for 2 weeks prior to surgery & did not cheat. You can do it. For me, each day got easier & it was almost like a cleanse. I lost carb & sugar cravings & got used to drinking Water vs. sodas etc. Again, you can do it!!