Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I was banded on April 15th. I go to the dr. tomorrow for my 2 week post op apt. I am very anxious to see what all he has to say to help ease my mind on a few things. 1 is that I can not stand the Protein shakes at ALL!!! They make me so sick.. blah!! Is it ok to NOT drink these?? I have such a weak stomach to them! Also, my starting weight was 296 before my PRE-op diet,... lost 12lbs was down to 284 day of surgery. I am now at 274... but havent lost anything in the past couple of days! Its like I am at a hault!!! uhggg..! I am now on my mushie stage!! (Thank GOD) now I dont feel like I am starving myself.... I have sense of smells that I never thought I had.. hahaa... I can smell everything when it comes to food lol.... I am nervous and anxious for my first fill tho.... I HATE the thought of vomiting like some of the posts Ive read about ppl over doing it and getting sick, or the band being to full.... so that scares me alittle after the fill. Please if anyone has any advice to give me , I would really appreciate it . I have been over weight ALL my life, and I am so ready to start my new beginning to being healthy!!!!

congrats on the weight loss so far! don't weigh yourself everyday it will drive you nuts ( i have to tell myself that too haha) and yes Protein is so important. now that you are on the mushie stage you can eat more protein filled things (eggs, Beans, tofu, hummus, fish) if you eat more protein filled things it will make you feel more full. I would still drink some Protein Shakes still or get the unflavored and mix it in your food instead of drinking it. hope that helped! oh and i was just banded on 4/22 but my dr has taught us well lol.

Protein in any form is a must. You dont get protein, you stop losing, you lose hair and you destroy your muscles as they breakdown. So try various kinds. My surgeon actually provides one called Chik and it is not bad. I also found one already mixed that is Atkins Advantage. I love chocolate and get the Royale, I feel like I am cheating and lucky for me, I am not. Your body is healing right now so and that should be the focus at this point. DO WHAT THE DOCTOR says to a T and you will succeed and do very well. The fill is something that causes anxiety to everyone, UNTIL you have it done then you see it is a breeze and it is all to help you on your way. As far as throwing up goes, you don't have to. Ever, if you chew small pieces avoid things that do not work well with the band, such as bread, broccoli and other fiberous foods you will be fine. DO NOT DRINK AND EAT< wait at least 15 minutes. I was told if you do it once you will never forget. They were right. Seriously, the best thing to do is follow the directions. You need to try several Protein Drink options as it is so important especially at first. Now that you are on mushy, it will get better. Protein is number one then veggies. AND I AGREE stop weighing. I had to remove the scale for awhile. It is not a true weight as we women fluctiate so much each and every day and you can not be a slave to it. If you have not done so yet, MEASURE!!! Take your measurements. As you go along you will have times you do not drop as much as you think you should. if you measure you will see it is still coming off. I keep a chart and i weigh every month on the 20th. This has been a life saver. Also continue reading and posting. There are things doctors can not tell you and family and friends don't know. We have been through it and can offer a world of knowledge. Like before you put anything in your mouth in the morning, drink something hot, tea, coffee even hot Water with lemon, It relaxes the band to help your first meal to go down. If you have an issue with throwing up, go back to liquids for 24 hours. You are irritating your band if you try to continue to eat and it can cause damage. So pay attention to your body. Do not be discouraged that you can eat more than you think at first. That you feel no restriction, it will come, I promise so do what you are suppose to and you will eliminate unneeded issues. Please ask and I will help, but be strong and smart. We did not put this on over night and it will not come off that fast. This is a tool, not the cure all and we all have to be reminded of that. Best of luck Feel free to friend me or send me messages any time.

Thanks for your replies... I am going to ask my Dr about the Protein shakes and what I can do to subsitute it , to still get the Protein that I am needing!! I think trying to get rid of the "head hunger" is going to be the hardest, but I must keep myself busy inorder to not do that!!!! I cant wait to start excercising!! I think the hardest part of alll of this was giving up the POP.. woah!!! Pop was my best friend.. ahahahaaaa..... also quit smoking too!! YAY for me :))))) If any of you all can tell me some certain foods to becareful of when eating after a fill , I would appreciate it .. I see alot of people cant do bread very well.. uhgg I love me some hot fresh rolls heheeh :P ... but I knew when I decided to get this, there was going to be much stuff I would have to give up!! but I dont mind.... me being healthy is much more important then the anything else !! I am so glad I found these forums :)) Much better to talk to someone about this, that has had it done, then people who know nothing about it .....

PROTEIN in any form is a must. You dont get protein, you stop losing, you lose hair and you destroy your muscles as they breakdown. So try various kinds. My surgeon actually provides one called Chik and it is not bad. I also found one already mixed that is Atkins Advantage. I love chocolate and get the Royale, I feel like I am cheating and lucky for me, I am not. Your body is healing right now so and that should be the focus at this point. DO WHAT THE DOCTOR says to a T and you will succeed and do very well. The fill is something that causes anxiety to everyone, UNTIL you have it done then you see it is a breeze and it is all to help you on your way. As far as throwing up goes, you don't have to. Ever, if you chew small pieces avoid things that do not work well with the band, such as bread, broccoli and other fiberous foods you will be fine. DO NOT DRINK AND EAT< wait at least 15 minutes. I was told if you do it once you will never forget. They were right. Seriously, the best thing to do is follow the directions. You need to try several protein drink options as it is so important especially at first. Now that you are on mushy, it will get better. Protein is number one then veggies. AND I AGREE stop weighing. I had to remove the scale for awhile. It is not a true weight as we women fluctiate so much each and every day and you can not be a slave to it. If you have not done so yet, MEASURE!!! Take your measurements. As you go along you will have times you do not drop as much as you think you should. if you measure you will see it is still coming off. I keep a chart and i weigh every month on the 20th. This has been a life saver. Also continue reading and posting. There are things doctors can not tell you and family and friends don't know. We have been through it and can offer a world of knowledge. Like before you put anything in your mouth in the morning, drink something hot, tea, coffee even hot Water with lemon, It relaxes the band to help your first meal to go down. If you have an issue with throwing up, go back to liquids for 24 hours. You are irritating your band if you try to continue to eat and it can cause damage. So pay attention to your body. Do not be discouraged that you can eat more than you think at first. That you feel no restriction, it will come, I promise so do what you are suppose to and you will eliminate unneeded issues. Please ask and I will help, but be strong and smart. We did not put this on over night and it will not come off that fast. This is a tool, not the cure all and we all have to be reminded of that. Best of luck Feel free to friend me or send me messages any time.

I know one of the things my surgeon said was that Protein shakes are a no no for most banders after surgery. But other forms of a Protein IS A MUST! The reason why he said no Protein Shakes after surgery was because they are essentially just liquid calories....but to each his own. I am by no means an expert...just telling you what I was told. Take care and good luck!

:)

Thanks :) ... Ya know I find it so crazyyyy that so many Drs have different ways of doing things..... I have a whole list of questions to ask him tomorrow at my Apt. :)... I will let you all know what he tells me about the Protein stuff.... its so weird right now , cause its like I dont even feel like I have even had the band.....I know when I get that first fill, things are gonna change lol...

btw: Can someone plz tell me how to add the weight loss ticker?? I dont think I did it right lol :P

I know one of the things my surgeon said was that Protein shakes are a no no for most banders after surgery. But other forms of a protein IS A MUST! The reason why he said no Protein Shakes after surgery was because they are essentially just liquid calories....but to each his own. I am by no means an expert...just telling you what I was told. Take care and good luck!

:)