Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last year this time I was down to 174 pounds and was between a size 12-14 depending on the jeans. I'm currently ranging between 157-160 pounds (a year later) and now find myself in a size 6 jeans - YIPPEE. I thought that I wanted to reach 145-150; however, I am happy were I am and don't want to get to the ideal weight the BMI chart states for normal weight (140). At the rate I'm going if I went as low as the BMI chart says I'd be a size 0.

I exercise 4 days a week, spending 2-3 mornings boxing (1 hr each session) and swimming 2-3 evenings (45min each session). I've come to realize I'm losing inches as muscle is replacing the fat. Yes, I'm tossing the BMI stats and going with size and how I feel, which is GREAT. I have lots of energy and can out walk both my husband and 16 yr son. I sleep well now and take NO meds. I'm done fixating on pounds and that damn scale.

That's awsome! I too fit into small sizes and got off all my meds so I know how good that feels. Keep up the good work!

that's amazing- congratulations!

That's awesome!!!!! I agree with you if you are healthy, look great and feel great forget that chart! I size 6 is wonderful!

Super!!!

That's great! I say if you're fine the way you look and feel right now than stay where you are. I may change my number too as I get closer, as I've been obese my whole adult life so I have no idea what I will look like

Congratulations! I agree about the exercise and that BMI stats don't tell the whole story. It lets you weigh (and eat) a lot more and fit into a smaller size. I weigh 150 lbs and also wear a 6. I think the exercise lets you pack it in a lot better. Are you fully recovered from your Tummy Tuck? Back into heavy exercise and your old sizes and everything?

Your post really inspired me- I am exactly where you were last year. Today I am having one of those- I feel fat and think I gained back all the weight I lost kinda days. I have lost about 58 pounds since August and would like to lose about 30 more to be really happy. I hope that I am where you are next year or very soon. I have been working out with a trainer for about two months- and am hoping this fat is turning to muscle!

Good for you--the number is NOT everything!

That's great! I say if you're fine the way you look and feel right now than stay where you are. I may change my number too as I get closer, as I've been obese my whole adult life so I have no idea what I will look like

Hi Jess55 - Thanks! I know exactly how you feel as I've been obese my entire adult life and am glad that it's behind me - for good. Continue on your forward progress.

Congratulations! I agree about the exercise and that BMI stats don't tell the whole story. It lets you weigh (and eat) a lot more and fit into a smaller size. I weigh 150 lbs and also wear a 6. I think the exercise lets you pack it in a lot better. Are you fully recovered from your Tummy Tuck? Back into heavy exercise and your old sizes and everything?

Thanks LapNYC. Congratulations on the size 6, I never thought this would happen and find myself looking at the tag of clothes in awe. Yes, the tummy tuck went fine, I went in Monday to get an adjustment - I had a dog ear on the right side. About a month ago the PS did some Lipo on the area to correct it; however, it was still there (yet smaller) he had to remove it surgically in his office with a local. The incision was a breeze, those darn shots to numb the area was a different story. I go back next week, crossing my fingers that this did the trick. All in all I'm VERY happy with the results of the TT. Yes, I back to pre TT activities, boxing, general cardio and swimming.

I'm taking this week off until the incision from the adjustment heals. Hey, what happens if we continue to drop sizes? I worry that I'll have trouble finding small clothes - going from one extreme to the other, though, much happier on the smaller of the extremes.

Your post really inspired me- I am exactly where you were last year. Today I am having one of those- I feel fat and think I gained back all the weight I lost kinda days. I have lost about 58 pounds since August and would like to lose about 30 more to be really happy. I hope that I am where you are next year or very soon. I have been working out with a trainer for about two months- and am hoping this fat is turning to muscle!

Hi Shoegal - hang in there. Last year I found I continued to hit plateau after plateau; however, my sizes continued to go down. I was extremely frustrated as I gauged my success on pounds. Don't do that to yourself. I still feel fat and find myself looking at earlier pics to put things in perspective. Also, the more I exercise the less movement I see on the scale, I've been told by the doc repeatedly that muscle weighs more than fat - I think pounds are pounds. Anyway, don't get discouraged the one thing I wished I'd done was take my measurements; that way you'll see the inches go down even if the scale doesn't move. Sounds like you're doing great!! Keep in touch and let us know when you've reached your goal or if you need a little push now and then. I need a push on a regular basis and thanks to the trainers at the gym I'm getting it.

Good for you--the number is NOT everything!

Thanks! So very true; it took me a year to realize that numbers aren't everything. I still sometime lapse into that frame of mind and quickly remove myself from the scale :)

a HUGE thanks to everyone. Wishing us all continued success.

Your head is in such a good place!!!! You are indeed doing what we all want to accomplish...change our lives and get moving....!! I am interested in knowing more about boxing, it sounds intense!

Mimi

Your head is in such a good place!!!! You are indeed doing what we all want to accomplish...change our lives and get moving....!! I am interested in knowing more about boxing, it sounds intense!

Mimi

Hi Mimi -

I try hard, I recently lost my job and refuse to let this derail me. I know that there are better things ahead, I just need patience and definately need to keep myself busy so that I don't let myself get in a bad place. Boxing has been key to keeping me on track. I get up on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 5:30 for my 6:00a class - can't say that I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed but I feel so much better once I'm in class - also the guy that sits at the front desk looks forward to me walking in the door as I greet him with "GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE!!!" - he said he really missed my greeting when I was out healing w/TT.

I'm 49 and there are people in my class from their early 20's to late 60's, we all go at our own pace and the instructor pushes us as we wouldn't push ourselves - he now knows us enough to know what each is capable of. Check your local gym and see if they have something. We spend the first 1/2 hour doing various cardio, the last 1/2 hour we put on our gloves and start punching. By the way, it's a great way to rid yourself of stress.

I've been doing this for 6 months now, I had to stop for 3 months while I healed from the TT, now that I'm back I tend to shy some with the ab workouts but that's just me being overly cautious. Oh, I never boxed a day in my life until I started this class - go for it!