Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for anyone at any stage out

Getting nervous about my upcoming surgery. Anybody feel like answering a few questions to help me get through some jitters I'm having? 2weeks from today! I've learned tons from this board already. Like for example even after 6 months of going to my Dr. I didn't even know your band doesn't get filled until a month or more after the surgery.

1. Any regrets?

2. Is there anything you did not expect after surgery? Any surprises?

3. How long before you returned to work?

4. How long before you felt normal again?

Getting nervous about my upcoming surgery. Anybody feel like answering a few questions to help me get through some jitters I'm having? 2weeks from today! I've learned tons from this board already. Like for example even after 6 months of going to my Dr. I didn't even know your band doesn't get filled until a month or more after the surgery.

1. Any regrets?

1. None! 115lbs down in less than a year? No complaints or regrets from my mouth.

2. Nope. The gas pain hurt at times but was bearable with pain meds and walking.

3. 2 weeks; could have gone back in a week but had the paid leave so I used it.

4. I'd say 2 weeks or so post-op I felt much better. At 3 weeks I felt great.

1. No regrets, I am happier than I've ever been in my life. I'm no longer depressed and realized my depression was physical and not chemical (which makes sense why I never felt antidepressants never worked).

2. The only thing I was a little surprised about was how much my throat hurt after being intubated. I've intubated tons of animals and never thought about how uncomfortable it can be. I did not get a lot of gas pain. I wanted to die the first day, but I knew it would be painful, I only took the pain meds the first 2 days (not every 4 hours) and once on day three and only because I got TOM and had bad cramps.

3.I went back after 1 week and I have a physical job. I cod have gone back at day 6-7 but I had already taken off. I even dug my car out from under a foot of snow to go back ( I was really bored at home )

4. I felt pretty normal at day 5. I mean I was still a bit sore getting up and out of bed and sitting, but nothing horrible. I guess if you meant no pain at all, probably at 2 weeks (I think)

Day seven for me and I am ready to go back to work. Tomorrow's the day!

Have had no issues other than the soreness. Once I could sleep on my side I felt 100 % better.

Walking 2 miles a day and plan to work up to 4 by 4th week.

No hunger till today, I need to increase the amount I eat at each meal. I have been careful not to fill up and feel uncomfortable.

Surgery went so much smoother than I expected. I am going to credit that to my surgeon and staff at hospital. They were awesome, I was home by 6 that evening.

Only had 2 days of the pre liquid diet so that was easy.

I have no regrets. It has been 18 months since my surgery.

The pain from gas was a surprise. I walked to relieve it. Also, took Gas-x strips(the kind that melt in your mouth).

I am retired, but resumed normal activities, other than heavy work, after about 2 weeks.

Good luck to you. It was the best decision I have made in a long time. Karen

1. No regrets - wished I had done it sooner.

2. Gas Pains- intense for a few days & also having to sleep on my back for a couple of weeks. My first "stuck" episode - I read alot about it but was not prepared when it actually happened.

3. I'm a school nurse so I was out for the summer & worked as needed at a hospital. I could have returned to work about 10 days afterwards. I went back to the hospital at week 3 - energy & pain wise I was fine but some days it was difficult to make sure I was getting my required Protein & fluids in for the day just because I was busy - which meant I was "starving" at the end of my shift.

4. It took about 2 weeks to feel Ok, by week 3 I felt great & was back to my regular routine/activities.

1. Any regrets?

1. Only that I didn't get it done sooner.

2. I didn't know that I would have staples.

3. I had 2 weeks of vacation.

4. I felt normal after about 4 weeks. Takes a while for energy level to return, then it just goes up and up and up!

5. I recommend that you take measurements before starting and take monthly measurements afterwards. There are times when the scale slows to a crawl, but you'll notice that you're improving still by checking your measurements.

Best wishes to you!

Sue

1. No regrets

2.Gas pains were awful but got through it!

3. 2 weeks

4.4 weeks back to normal! I love being banded

1. No regrets

2.Gas pains were awful but got through it!

3. 2 weeks

4.4 weeks back to normal! I love being banded because it gave me hope and my life back!

Thank you so much for all your help and support. I will definitely measure. I already lost 20 and regret getting no real before pics or measurements earlier than now. Found out another new thing from exploring this board. I thought i would have only 2 scars, I don't know why. Now I see that it will be five. 11 days now. I guess my biggest fear is that I will literally miss food. everything seems to revolve around food, from every holiday, to me going out to lunch with my husband every Thursday, company picnics, carnivals, dinner out with friends, and popcorn at the show. I know the old saying nothing tastes as great as being thin feels, and I believe it, but still I am afraid.

1. Any regrets - no

2. Is there anything you did not expect after surgery - was totally not ready to be scared to eat for the first few weeks

3. How long before you returned to work - surgery Wed, home Thursday, worked from home started Friday. Back to office Monday.

4. How long before you felt normal again (I did passed psych evaluation - but my friends all agree - I was never "normal" :-) Physically maybe 3 weeks.