Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good day everyone! I know this has probably been asked but I can't find it. I was banded on Monday, 4/18. I cheated a little on the clear liquid phase and at some mushies...nothing stuck and no problems. My question is....the side where the port is at....looks "swollen" (as swollen as a chubby belly can be). I can tell that it is swollen and is that from the surgery or is it because I tested the waters and tried some mushies at Easter. I have not eaten anything drastic like a steak or hamburger...just some mashed sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes on Easter...oh, and a little snack size can of tuna. Mostly done the liquids like chicken broth, popsicles etc., but on Easter I did eat that stuff. Belly does not hurt (but incisions are so itchy!) --- just curious if this lumpy swollen belly is normal at the port site???

Thanks

P.S. Just curious, how many have cheated during their week of "clear liquids" after surgery? I had a week of clear liquid before w/3 Protein shakes and then another 7 days of clear liquid with NO Protein Shakes.....I was craving something to "eat"....feel guilty but like I said, I didn't eat ham or anything to "hard" on the stomach? Just curious how many others cheated?

Good day everyone! I know this has probably been asked but I can't find it. I was banded on Monday, 4/18. I cheated a little on the clear liquid phase and at some mushies...nothing stuck and no problems. My question is....the side where the port is at....looks "swollen" (as swollen as a chubby belly can be). I can tell that it is swollen and is that from the surgery or is it because I tested the waters and tried some mushies at Easter. I have not eaten anything drastic like a steak or hamburger...just some mashed sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes on Easter...oh, and a little snack size can of tuna. Mostly done the liquids like chicken broth, popsicles etc., but on Easter I did eat that stuff. Belly does not hurt (but incisions are so itchy!) --- just curious if this lumpy swollen belly is normal at the port site???

Thanks

P.S. Just curious, how many have cheated during their week of "clear liquids" after surgery? I had a week of clear liquid before w/3 Protein shakes and then another 7 days of clear liquid with NO Protein shakes.....I was craving something to "eat"....feel guilty but like I said, I didn't eat ham or anything to "hard" on the stomach? Just curious how many others cheated?

On my second week I tested the waters and ate something mushy before my diet said I could and I felt fine that day but the next two days where not good. I had to go back to Clear Liquids until my stomach felt better. I am very careful about moving forward with the food. I am on mushies now and some days are great the then some days are not. Weird how that works. Stomach must still be healing. My belly was swollen too but that is going down. Incisions are very itchy too.

It's normal to have swelling at the port site. I had some swelling for a few months. I was banded six months ago and that area is still tender sometimes.

You should be careful and follow your doctor's orders for the post op diet. The stomach is still trying to heal. That's why they have us on liquids and then mushies.

I didn't cheat on my liquids post op only because I was not hungry at all. I was on liquids for 2 weeks before and that was HORRIBLE. The 2 weeks after was ok for me. It was so weird because I thought I would be so hungry, but I wasn't. I could barely get all of my shakes in each day.

You're fine, it's normal. I was still swollen about a week later. Try to stay on your doctors orders though about what you should eat. Congrats btw!!!

My doctors office had us do a liquid diet the day before the surgery. After surgery we had to do 4 weeks of a liquid diet. Because I had to go back to work and I was starving. I called the office and the assistant in the office told me to go on mushy foods. But when I went to the doctor a week later, because I had so much pain and gas, the doctor told me I should have really waited a few more days. That your stomach is swollen and really needs the rest. At my doctor's office we don't do the mushy stage, after 4 weeks of liquid you can go right into eating your regular diet. I was a little nervous of that, so I did eat soft foods.

I did liquids for three week. No cheating. It was rough. But I was scared to cheat. I also want to succeed this time. Cheating is how I ended up here! ohmy.gif

I cheated BIG TIME!!!! I was about six days post op and ate rice Beans and chicken taquitos...and hot sauce and lettuce and Tomato. It wasn't painful at all, but I felt guilty as hell about it! I told my Dr and they didn't scold me too bad, just told me to stick to full liquids and move to mushies the next week. At this point I'm almost a month out and can eat what I want. Can't wait til I get my fill on the 2nd.

We are band twins - I too had my band on 4/18. I haven't "cheated" but I also havent been hungry. I have been religious about getting the Protein in as I know my body needs the Protein to heal. I make my first shake in the morning and add extra liquid to it in order to Water down that taste and to get in my liquids. My daughter picked me up some of those little plastic shot glasses - in the party section - and I pour my shake into those one drink at a time. I love the V8 Soups in a box and if they are a bit flavorless I just add a pinch of sea salt.

I do confess to drinking a 6oz cup of coffee first thing in the morning (I have asthma and allergies and something about the warm coffee helps with the bronchial passages first thing in the morning without having to be medicated). I don't seem to be having any issues with my tummy except that swelling you mentioned. Because I had a previous scar my Dr chose to put the port in the center .... and the itching ... well that is a sign of healing. However, I do put on a bit of medicated ointment and a bandage over to "numb" the area to ignore the itching.