Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nothing tastes the same

I am banded since last Wednesday April 20,2011 and on all liquids right now. The problem is nothing tastes good right now. My morning coffee is gross!! I used to love my morning coffee. Now I can just barely get it down.

Protein Drinks, chicken broth, Tomato Soup all tastes YUCK!!!!

Please tell me this temporary. ANd if so how long before food tastes good?

Thanks!

I can't speak about the coffee part (BECAUSE I DON"T DRINK IT !)

But I'm willing to say that your body is going threw a change.

It's almost like detoxing. You don't eat anything anymore wright?

So the body is wondering where all this fantastic food is.

Well it's no longer there.

So the body is going threw a change, and trying to adapt.

and not liking it.

In time when the body is no longer interested in these foods.

I'm thinking some of them will interest you.

Give it time.

My husband had cardiac surgery last summer and there were several foods (including coffee) which after the surgery no longer tasted good to him. He is getting his taste for them back gradually, but it did take time. I think it was just his body reacting to the surgery.

Personally, I don't notice a change in what I like since my surgery, but I'm not eating much yet, either.

My husband had cardiac surgery last summer and there were several foods (including coffee) which after the surgery no longer tasted good to him. He is getting his taste for them back gradually, but it did take time. I think it was just his body reacting to the surgery.

Personally, I don't notice a change in what I like since my surgery, but I'm not eating much yet, either.

I never noticed a change either.

But like your husband/surgery/recovering.

I believe it will come back in time, for the person that POST this, and anyone else.

We've talked about this at LapBand meetings.

I really think it's the detox thing and ketosis (sp?). 4 weeks out, I'm not as attracted to sweets as I was. chocolate still doesn't taste great. It doesn't taste different, I just dont see I'm it what I once did. I have no desire for bread at all. fruit tastes great as do most normal foods. I'm happy.

I had no taste or smell for like a week after surgery ahha, it came back. It's from the anesthesia.

you're not alone. I was banded the same day! I used to love my Protein shakes...part of my daily diet for some time now. I can barely stand the way they taste, even their texture seems different. I HATE chicken broth too. I'm totally dumbfounded by it all. Let me know how things are going for you. How are you doing today? I took a few bites of some no no's..... shame on me.

I am banded since last Wednesday April 20,2011 and on all liquids right now. The problem is nothing tastes good right now. My morning coffee is gross!! I used to love my morning coffee. Now I can just barely get it down.

Protein drinks, chicken broth, Tomato Soup all tastes YUCK!!!!

Please tell me this temporary. ANd if so how long before food tastes good?

Thanks!

you're not alone. I was banded the same day! I used to love my Protein shakes...part of my daily diet for some time now. I can barely stand the way they taste, even their texture seems different. I HATE chicken broth too. I'm totally dumbfounded by it all. Let me know how things are going for you. How are you doing today? I took a few bites of some no no's..... shame on me.

I am to afraid to try anything other than liquids!! I got down some Protein, chicken broth and a small orange pineapple drink. Just a few more days until some mushies. I can't wait!!

Once I was back on solids I had a low fat cheese stick as a pre work out snack. It tasted so gross to me. I could'nt eat it. I tried them again about 6 months later and it tasted fine to me.

In regards to liquid post op I used Mrs Dash non salt flavorings. Add it before heating and the spices/garlic will reconstitute.

I was banded Aug. 24th, 2010 and a lot of things still taste odd to me. I also seem to have a greater sense of smell. My husband is always commenting on how well I catch scents...not always a good thing! :lol: Sometimes things taste good and sometimes they don't. Can be very frustrating.

Good luck!!!

There are still certain foods I can't stomach; I think my body get used to not having them for so long that it no longer likes them. Luckily most of the food I can't stand to eat is yunk food (quite convenient), but there were other foods that I didn't like initially after surgery that I'm beginning to enjoy again. I think it varies from person to person but losing a taste for food is quite normal, especially if it's been cut out of your diet for awhile.