Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally approved...now on an emotional roller coaster

Hi

I am a "newbie"!! I finally got approved for the Lap Band through my insurance, after a year of appointments and anxiously awaiting the approval from my insurance I should have NO DOUBTS..RIGHT? I feel like I am on an "emotional roller coaster". Don't get me wrong I am over the moon that I got approved..but now I am so scared about whether or not I made the right decision choosing the lap band over the gastric bypass. Scared about the liquid diet,scared about having enough will power to do this. Are all of these "feelings" normal?? Would love to hear from some lap band patients and hear your experience and/or any advice. Thanks so much:) TLM

I thought the hardest part of the process was the checklist of tests that I had to go through before the surgery. As far as liquid diet, mine was 2 weeks, I won't lie, it's wasn't the easiest thing, yet it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Start doing some of the behaviors now, like cutting out bubbles (soda, seltzer etc), concentrate on eating slowly, and what I think helped me the most in the first weeks was understanding that the first 6 weeks is about RECOVERY, not WEIGHTLOSS....... If you lose some during that time it's great, but don't overdo it...... Lastly I will say that through this journey always remember that losing slow, and plateauing as frustrating as it can be is so much better than gaining and the "old way of life"....... Good Luck

Absolutely. I was very scared. Bariatric surgery is a drastic step, but it is helping me do what I never could on my own in 30 years of trying to lose weight. It isn't always easy, but for me it has definitely been worth it.

I would recommend getting lots of emotional support: check out the support group meetings in your area, consider seeing a therapist if you don't already, boards like this, journaling, supportive friends, etc.

Good luck to you and take care,

Pixistix

MINE TOOK A MONTH JUST TO DO ALL THE PROCESS AND OK BY INSURANCE AND BOOM SURGERY. I REALLY HAD NO TIME TO THINK ON MINE. I WAS SCARED TO DEATH I HATE SURGERY. NOW I NEED TO GO SEE A DOC ABOUT A HYSTERECTOMY (HOPES TO GOD GETS IT) BUT I HEAR FROM PEOPLE ON HERE IF I GET SURGERY I HAVE TO HAVE ALL THE Fluid OUT OF THE BAND.

MAKE SURE THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. IF YOU ARE HAVING DOUBTS IF I WAS YOU I WOULDN'T GO THROUGH IT UNTIL YOUR SURE. THAT IS JUST ME. I HOPE YOU MAKE YOUR RIGHT DESICION. MY BRAIN NOT WORKING ON SPELLING I AM SURE YOU KNOW WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY.

I WISH THEY WOULD ADD A SPELL CHECK ON THIS THING. JUST UNDERLINING IT ISN'T HELPING :(

Glad you posted so I wouldn't have to repeat exactly what you said! Do you have a surgery date yet?

Hi

I am a "newbie"!! I finally got approved for the Lap Band through my insurance, after a year of appointments and anxiously awaiting the approval from my insurance I should have NO DOUBTS..RIGHT? I feel like I am on an "emotional roller coaster". Don't get me wrong I am over the moon that I got approved..but now I am so scared about whether or not I made the right decision choosing the lap band over the gastric bypass. Scared about the liquid diet,scared about having enough will power to do this. Are all of these "feelings" normal?? Would love to hear from some lap band patients and hear your experience and/or any advice. Thanks so much:) TLM

I had all the same fears and then some! Now that I'm 4 weeks out I can look back and say "no biggie," but if you read my blogs... I suffered. Actually the first two weeks aren't as hard as you think, as there is a lot of bloating and stress about having it in there that makes you not want to eat at all (at least for me). I def thought about food, but it was head hunger. I very rarely feel hunger now. I have to stay on top of myself to eat. Even with no fill, it's working. In the scheme of things what is a month to 6 weeks of your life? It's a small price to pay for happiness!

I haven't had the surgery yet, I am scheduled for May 4th, and I, like you, am scared to death. I really, really, really, really dreaded the liquid diet part of it. i am currently on Day 2 of the liquid diet and I have 12 more days to go, but I can tell you from my 2nd day perspective that I am not hungry. I have been kinda taking it slow and not doing a ton of extra physical activity, but honestly, I found both at the end of yesterday and the end of today it was difficult to get my last shake in because i was pretty full (with fluid). i drank them though because i knew i had to have the calories and the Protein. i'm sure by day 14 i'll be singing a different song and I'll be done with this, but from my past dieting experience, the first 3 days of a diet are the hardest, and I have never gone cold turkey off of food before, and it's not that bad.

some people are even allowed to eat like 4oz of chicken or fish on their pre-op diets, but i'm not. it is STRICTLY liquids and 2 cups of vegetables (plus Jello, sugar free popsicles and broth.

The most difficult part so far is the mental feeling that i should be eating something. but it's a MENTAL thing. you'll be able to do it. (at least that's what i keep telling myself :D ) anyway, my Day 3 starts tomorrow. I'll let you know if I get hungry.