Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

regret city....what have i done?

Omg this is to funny I swear to you I just got done crying like a baby to my hubby! I even told him I was going to have it taken out because I have ruined my life..thank you so much for your post! I am going to try and calm down and give it a try.

Dont be depressed! I had my band put in on March 1, 2011. It has been a month and a half and I have only had trouble eating 1 item, steak. Everyone is different in what they can handle and what they cant handle. bread is not entirely out of the picture however from what I have heard you have to toast it and eat it in very small pieces. I have not tried it because carbs are bad for weight loss but I definitely understand your addiction to bread.

The best advice I can give you is to try whatever you want but eat it very slowly and in very small pieces. The only way items will get stuck is if you eat big chunks, dont chew it enough, and eat too fast.

I am eating, fish, chicken, hot dogs, burgers, ham, turkey, deli meats, tuna, shrimp, cottage cheese, various cheeses, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, italian sausage.

weight.png

Sweetie - I know it's scary but I promise, we all went through this stage! This is a HUGE change of lifestyle - there are certain things that you might not be able to eat, but - you'll soon learn that you won't miss them all that much. I can still eat bread - not a lot of it and only later in the day. Not everyone's band/body is the same!

HANG IN THERE - it will get better! I'm a year out, I've lost 94 pounds and I have ZERO regrets about getting the band. You'll be in that category too! You're in the tough stage right now!

Omg!!! When I saw what you wrote I laughed out loud!!!! BECAUSE I was so there I FREAKED OUT!!!!! After surgery I cried and cried, my poor husband didn't know what to do for me,I thought my life was over ,ever thing I loved to do was over!!! Going out to dinner with my family movies and popcorn I had a few panic attacked WELL I am here to tell you it's not true you will be sooooooooo fine, i go out to eat I just eat different things but I dont miss it, you learn you will be ok. I didn't know how addicted to food I was, I even called my surgeon a week later to say I was wrong and I think I want this lap band removed, he just laughed at me. Now this July 2011will be 2 years since my surgery and I can't imagine not having this lap band

Omg!!! When I saw what you wrote I laughed out loud!!!! BECAUSE I was so there I FREAKED OUT!!!!! After surgery I cried and cried, my poor husband didn't know what to do for me,I thought my life was over ,ever thing I loved to do was over!!! Going out to dinner with my family movies and popcorn I had a few panic attacked WELL I am here to tell you it's not true you will be sooooooooo fine, i go out to eat I just eat different things but I dont miss it, you learn you will be ok. I didn't know how addicted to food I was, I even called my surgeon a week later to say I was wrong and I think I want this lap band removed, he just laughed at me. Now this July 2011will be 2 years since my surgery and I can't imagine not having this lap band

I am 7 days pre-op and have been in depression since my surgery..I wish I would have not gotten it..there is a lot I did not find out until after I was banded...I am just know hearing about thus stuck thing...that scares the hell out of me...I think will never eat anything other than tuna and yogurt out of fear this will happen to me...bread is my favorite food I had no idea i would have to give it up completely...I thought this band was just about portion sizes not being deprived....what have I done to myself?

I felt the same way after I was banded. I got depressed in the hospital and then after I came off the pain medicine...about a week later. I went back to work about 12 days post op and everyone noticed that I lost weight. That helped a lot. It is hard to give up a "friend" not that food is really our friend. Hang in there. Things will get better and better. I am one month post op and have lost 18lbs. I have so much more energy and my clothes are getting too big. You may be able to eat all the foods you love.....it is hard to say what the band will do. Just follow your surgeon's recommendations and you will do great!

Hugs!!

Dont be depressed! I had my band put in on March 1, 2011. It has been a month and a half and I have only had trouble eating 1 item, steak. Everyone is different in what they can handle and what they cant handle. bread is not entirely out of the picture however from what I have heard you have to toast it and eat it in very small pieces. I have not tried it because carbs are bad for weight loss but I definitely understand your addiction to bread.

The best advice I can give you is to try whatever you want but eat it very slowly and in very small pieces. The only way items will get stuck is if you eat big chunks, dont chew it enough, and eat too fast.

I am eating, fish, chicken, hot dogs, burgers, ham, turkey, deli meats, tuna, shrimp, cottage cheese, various cheeses, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, italian sausage.

weight.png

thank you so much for your post...you really helped me! I am writing down the foods you listed LOL

I think what you are feeling is completely normal and you are not alone. I am a little more than 2 months out and there are a lot of things that I have been able to enjoy that I thought would be out of the question. I have had pizza (but instead of eating 3 or 4 slices, I have had one small slice), a small portion of Pasta, a chicken wrap, and I've even been able to eat a subway sandwich. If I eat a tougher type of meat, i.e. steak or a pork chop, I just make sure I cut it small and chew well. I've managed to eat out quite a bit and just force myself to make smart decisions. Believe me...you will not be deprived once you become more comfortable with it. There are times when I think about what I used to eat and feel like I just want to take a huge bite of something and indulge myself (i.e. a bacon cheeseburger and mozz fried with gravy...lol), but then I reason with myself by saying that I can sample things in small amounts --- I just don't need to devour things like I used to in order to enjoy them....a small taste can be satisfactory without overdoing it. Eating for me has been a lot different than how I thought it would be....I was under the impression pre-surgery that I wouldn't be able to eat certain foods ever again, i.e. bread, pasta, etc. and this truly scared me, but fortunately I have been able to tolerate just about everything in small doses (while watching calories/fat, etc. of course). I think the payoff will be worth it! food will still be enjoyable --- just in a normal way! Good luck to you :)

I felt the same way after I was banded. I got depressed in the hospital and then after I came off the pain medicine...about a week later. I went back to work about 12 days post op and everyone noticed that I lost weight. That helped a lot. It is hard to give up a "friend" not that food is really our friend. Hang in there. Things will get better and better. I am one month post op and have lost 18lbs. I have so much more energy and my clothes are getting too big. You may be able to eat all the foods you love.....it is hard to say what the band will do. Just follow your surgeon's recommendations and you will do great!

Hugs!!

Thank you for your post! Well I guess I must ne doing ok...I am 1 week post op and I am down 18 pounds!

I think what you are feeling is completely normal and you are not alone. I am a little more than 2 months out and there are a lot of things that I have been able to enjoy that I thought would be out of the question. I have had pizza (but instead of eating 3 or 4 slices, I have had one small slice), a small portion of Pasta, a chicken wrap, and I've even been able to eat a subway sandwich. If I eat a tougher type of meat, i.e. steak or a pork chop, I just make sure I cut it small and chew well. I've managed to eat out quite a bit and just force myself to make smart decisions. Believe me...you will not be deprived once you become more comfortable with it. There are times when I think about what I used to eat and feel like I just want to take a huge bite of something and indulge myself (i.e. a bacon cheeseburger and mozz fried with gravy...lol), but then I reason with myself by saying that I can sample things in small amounts --- I just don't need to devour things like I used to in order to enjoy them....a small taste can be satisfactory without overdoing it. Eating for me has been a lot different than how I thought it would be....I was under the impression pre-surgery that I wouldn't be able to eat certain foods ever again, i.e. bread, pasta, etc. and this truly scared me, but fortunately I have been able to tolerate just about everything in small doses (while watching calories/fat, etc. of course). I think the payoff will be worth it! food will still be enjoyable --- just in a normal way! Good luck to you :)

thank you for your post...you were so helpful...lord I pray I am enable to have the same outcome you did...that is awesome...I would love to just eat a little of what I like and feel satisfied...thank you again

i felt EXACTLY the same way! i had problems after surgery for a couple of weeks and was in a lot of pain. was so worried but they realized they left some Fluid in the band and once they removed it i was fine. and i was a total carb addict and probably would have chosen bread over sex! what's so great about the band though is that i no longer even want bread and don't feel controlled by carb cravings and constant hunger from eating too many carbs.

don't worry, give it a little time and you'll feel so much better in a week or so! :)

i felt EXACTLY the same way! i had problems after surgery for a couple of weeks and was in a lot of pain. was so worried but they realized they left some Fluid in the band and once they removed it i was fine. and i was a total carb addict and probably would have chosen bread over sex! what's so great about the band though is that i no longer even want bread and don't feel controlled by carb cravings and constant hunger from eating too many carbs.

don't worry, give it a little time and you'll feel so much better in a week or so! :)

Lordy I almost busted my stitches laughing at your post lol bread over SEX I hear you girl! Thank you for your post..hopefully soon I won't even think about bread :)

I think we have all had some kind of OH No! moment. Take really small bites and chew chew chew. That is what I have read on here and how I plan to introduce Pasta and breads. You are not alone in your getting stuck fear. I was even afraid to start the mushy stage as I didn't want any stuck episodes.