Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone I was banded on the 30th april so only a newbi, and after 3 weeks they decided to put fulid into me already because i was eating big meals and putting weight on.

I just want to know is it normal that i can already eat breads, eat crakers and alot of foods that i didnt think that i could, not to mention drink more then 50ml at anytime. ive not thrown up or had any of the pain of food getting stucked yet, i only have a 6ml band as i was told yesterday by th docotr and apparenlty im already at 5ml full, so is it weird that i havent had any troubles seeing im almost at my full Fluid stage?

also having the fill yesterday i thought that i would go back to the feeling i had in week one, where i was not hungry at all and couldnt care less about food, but now i dont feel that way and i have to make a effort not to eat Breakfast and Snacks .... is this normal being a day after my fill ?

also has anyone else heard of only having a small 6ml band ? i didnt know it excisted until yesterday and im frnakly annoyed that i have a small one in me and that im nearly full.

any help as im lost will be great

thanks

The band is a tool not a miracle. You have to start retraining yourself to eat smaller portions and learn when you are full not "stuffed". Sometimes a very small adjustment can make a BIG difference. food getting stuck is horrible and I am still training myself to chew well and eat small portions, but I know it is up to me to make it happen!

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick response, I do understand it's not going to be a mircal but because I'm still new to all of this I'm just not sure what I am ment to be feeling at this stage until I get use to it all. My main question is am i still ment to be hungry a day after having a 1ml fill ? I Appreciate everyones diffrent, but by the sounds of allot of people hit there full point or go over and I am yet to. And I am sticking to eating a small plate size and don't eat more then tha because I don't want to expand the stomach pouch,but I'm left hungry not full or I'm hungry half hour after eating....... And I just don't know if that's normal ? I thought the band was there to help you feel full ?. I may seem to be asking silly questions and I appolgies I just don't know what to really expect at this stage an if I'm gettig ahead of my self.

I think there is no 'NORMAL' in the way we work with a band, or bad works with each of us...

Some find sweet spot with restriction, some just lost hunger for food like you describe that first week post opp indifference to food.< /p>

Its easy to say - re-train yourself and don't overeat and eat only healthy foods .... If most of us could do it - WHY would we need a band?!?!

Same goes for exercising btw.

Regarding your band size.

I read on this forum people had 4 ml bands. Also people loosing with no fills in any size band.

DO not get discouraged!

I hope above will help a bit. And I hope you will get to the elusive sweet spot we all hope for. Most cases it is not an instant hit - it is a hit and miss with fills, and un-fills, and time, and hopping for the best.

Thanks guys, sorry banded 30th march got ahead of my self. I've got a 6ml band and had 4ml put in during surgery and just had another 1ml put in yesterday so I'm already at 5ml. I'm forcing myself not to snack or eat more then a small plate 3 times a day. I just thought that the "full" feeling would last longer then it does. And I find it hard to beleive I need more Fluid already. And yes I've already thought about it when I feel hungry I it's all in my head but then yes my stomach is rumbling so I will have a hot drink but then I'm hungry again shortly after, and this is while I'm at work and keeping busy not sitting around watching tv. I appreciate ur advise and maybe i do just need to learn to work with the band but unless I ask all you good people how am I ment to know what's good and bad.

At 3 weeks out you should be concerned about healing properly. I'm surprised your surgeon would fill your band more than half full at the time of surgery and then give a fill so soon. Most surgeons won't give a fill until the patient has had 3 weeks or more of no weight loss after the initial 6 week healing period.

But because you're so early in your recovery, your hunger and feelings of fullness are distorted somewhat and can change day to day and week to week. Once you get beyond the first month at least, then you can start feeling out what your body can really handle and what it doesn't like. In the meantime, know that you have to do what's best for you and how your body works.

Breakfast is important! You shouldn't skip it. Starting out the day with a good healthy portion of Protein will keep you satisfied and less hungry throughout the day. And Snacks are fine, as long as they are healthy and you're eating them to curb the hunger, not because it's just something to do.

The band won't give you 'restriction' in the sense that most people think. It won't keep you from eating a ton of food. But if you listen to your body and re-learn what signals your body has for being full and being hungry, it can help keep the hunger away longer than it used to. If you're looking to feel 'full' in the way you used to feel full, it may never happen again if you're going to be successful, but you can get to a point where you won't be hungry all the time.

I wish you luck! Don't worry too much, at 3 weeks out most of us were somewhat out of our mind hungry and confused. Stick with it, things will begin to make more sense as you start to listen to your body as time goes on.