Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know its a no no but I was craving diet coke so i had it, I did not have any issues later on, is it really that bad!

yes you need to give them up. What does your Dr say about it. I have not had a diet coke in almost 2 years

Cheri

I drink a lot of diet soft drinks- at least one a day. My doc said it's okay, that gastric bypass patient's have more issue with it than banders. I know lots of other docs nix it altogether, and I'm NOT trying to argue with anyone else's habits, but it's my favorite vice. I've learned to not drink it fast and not drink it too soon after meals to avoid discomfort from the carbonation.

I know its a no no but I was craving diet coke so i had it, I did not have any issues later on, is it really that bad!

My surgeon had no problem with diet products or carbonated products but did warn that carbonation might be painful for some people.

Personally, I've given up artificial sweeteners along with the sugar because I find the 'taste' is enough to get me craving. Sometimes it's not just because of the taste. Many of these sugar free products also contain maltodextrin which acts like a simple carbohydrate. Dr. Bernstein warns that this is a problem for people with metabolic disorders because they create an insulin response in the body.

My guilty pleasure, however, is the Faygo pink grapefruit carbonated Water. No sweeteners, artificial or otherwise.

Oh goodness...this is one of those big debates....personally my doctor is OK with diet soda (not regular as it is empty calories) It is the carbonation that I love so I drink diet caffeine free....usually one a day, definately NOT with food! I think this is one of those things you have to go with what your doctor and you decide - as everyone has a different opinion on caffeine and artificial sweetners, etc.

For me....I would rather treat myself with a pop than other things I could think of :D

Kim

I think it's so weird that every doctor seems to have a different opinion on the carbonation issue. My surgeon says absolutely no way to carbonation, but my fiance's surgeon says once in a while is fine. Some surgeons say that the carbonation will stretch your pouch, others say that idea is totally a myth. Make up your minds, docs!

Here is a link to my surgeon's answer to this question. It is in response to GBP.

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/57912-carbonated-drinks-after-gastric-bypass-and-vertical-sleeve-gastrectomy/

I have them from time to time. Sometimes it gives me hiccups. Sometimes it tastes divine!

My doc has no problem with carbonated drinks. He says just to let it sit out awhile before drinking it to get rid of some of the bubbles.

I can still drink beer, soda etc but I actually don't like the feeling soda leaves in my mouth I always have to brush my teeth after drinking something like that.

My surgeon says no sodas, no caffeine. I drank probably 6 Diet Cokes a day before surgery. 3 weeks before surgery I gave them up and haven't had one since. 3 months. I enjoy green tea now no caffeine. I don't even crave soda anymore. I don't think they were good for me anyway. Carbonation leaches out calcium.........I think.