Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having my surgery Friday, April 22nd and I am scared to death! I'm scared of dying on the table. I'm scared of failing. I just had my last meal and start my 5 day liquid diet tomorrow (well today) and it's only 2am and I am already hungry. I know it's in my mind. I am really scared. I have a 6 year old son and I am so afraid I am not going to wake up from surgery and I don't want to leave him. But I have type 2 diabetes and I'm afraid if I don't do something I am going to die anyway.

I am having surgery the day before you. I know how you feel. Let me know how things go..I know we will be fine.

I am on the 20th so 2 days ahead of you! Try to not be so afraid and have faith in your DR . I am nervous too but to me the hardest part has been the diet! We will be just fine! Look for my posts on the evening of the 20th to find out more.

I had my surgery on the 5th of April. I understand your fears. The surgery went very smoothy and I had very little pain and no complications. The worst was what was in my head! You will be fine. If you have Type 2 Diabetes just think of how much better your life will be with the weight off! You are doing a great thing for yourself and your son.

Good luck!

First of all,,, take a deep breath O.K... Because I am going to explain a few things to you to try to ease your anxiety (WHICH IS TOTALY NORMAL!)

1 you won't die on the table. That's old school. Yes it can happen: Maybe if you are elderly, and have a breathing or Heart Condition. Even then,,, they know what to do for you.

Your Anesthesiologist will be in the room watching all the gauges, keeping control of your Meds. (HE WILL ALSO BE IN CONSTANT TOUCH WITH YOUR SURGEON) If your surgeon says I'm closing, you can start to take her off. That's what he will do. So believe me when I tell you You will do just fine.

My surgeon couldn't do you if you were over 500lbs. Reason : Table wouldn't hold up. So these guys have done some big people, and they make it through.

Failing: you really don't have to worry about. Once they start with the fills. FILL AFTER FILL, one step at a time. The hunger beast will be gone. That will take a little time, so in the meantime you drink, and eat Protein to cut your hunger. And yes it works.

You will be given a certain amount of calories that you can have in a day. Your work is to try to stick to it. liquids are hard, but you have come this far, so I'm sure you can do it. We all had to. MUSCLE MILK LIGHT is some good stuff, that's what I have used for almost 5 yrs.. There is a lady on ebay that sells it for $5.99 a jug "that's cheap" Just type in MUSCLE MILK and the light will come up, then look for the price, and you have her. In the meantime compare prices too.

Think of all the fun you will have with your son, For starts 6 months, for sure 1 year If you stick to it, and you will...

Yes you will be here for him, don't worry about that. Cause yes you will be here.

With the sugar problem gone in time "possibly" you will feel better too.

Head Hunger ! If you have to GULP down a Quart of Water. That will kill your itch. Or a Protein shake will help, but don't go over your calories.

I hope this helps ease your Anxiety. Trust me you will do fine. Everyone does.

Shirley.

Thanks everyone! I just started drinking my first protien drink. I bought the Idopre zero carb because I don't really like creamy, milky, things and this is clear like Kool Aid. I'm not gonna lie....it is not very good but I can do it! I forgot to say how much I weight and stuff above. I am 5'7 and weigh 292 (last weigh in at the doctor anyway) I just need to keep hearing that it will be okay and I will wake up after surgery. I keep reading all these horror stories (I know I should stop but I can't help it) and it's freaking me out. Other than the diabetes (which I have had no physical complications from yet even though my BS has been over 500 before) I have no health issues.

I had my surgery in February and was petrified that I wasn't going to wake up --- to the point that I was actually crying on the way to the hospital and tearing on the operating table. My husband said the doctor came to see him and was done with the surgery in about a half hour! Before I knew it, I was in recovery and have been doing well ever since....I can honestly say no regrets! Good luck to you :)

I am having surgery on Friday too! I am scared as well. But it's going to be worth it! Good luck!

You are so right ! ! :star:

I felt the same way ! I was sooooo scared for surgery i could hardly stand it ! I Just had surgery wednesday and I made it through surgery with no problems ! You will be ok and home before you know it ! :)

Please try not to be scared. If you have done your homework and looked into

your doctor and trust him/her, it'll be fine. I've had many surgeries and they

get less scary each time. The number of people who have complications are VERY

low and they typically have an underlying condition. This is why doctors and

insurance require so many pre op appointments to evaluate your physical and

mental health to get through this. There are many people here to support you and

you can do this!

I had my surgery in October and I just want to help ease your nerves. I had a starting weight of 307 lbs and I'm 5'6. I have a 3 year old and I too, was terrified of something happening during the surgery. Six months and 60 lbs less I can honestly say this was one of the best decisions of my life. I have so much more energy and I feel so much better. Having this surgery has given me so much more confidence and made me feel so much better about myself.

Also, as far as something happening during surgery, they run so many pre op tests that I felt confident I would be ok having the surgery. I also felt (and still feel) that if didn't do something about my weight that I wouldn't be around to see my 3 year old grow up. I hope some of this helps you.

Good luck w/ your surgery!

It's human nature to have these fears. I have been there too! I had to have thyroid surgery prior to this surgery. That was my first surgery ever. I was so petrified that I couldn't think straight for days before. My surgeon is an outstanding doctor and human and when I told him I was extremely scared (mostly about the anesthesia) he assured me that there was no reason to worry. But I was still nervous until I actually got in the pre op room. My anesthesiologist was a HOTTIE (for some reason that helped!) and when I told him that I was terrified he was very compassionate too. What helped was that first shot to ease my nerves. AWESOME!! Completely took the edge off. When you get into the OR, you'll be out in a few minutes and won't even remember it.

This surgery I was very calm because I knew what to expect. The anesthesiologist (I tried to book my first one but no luck) was about 2 weeks from retirement but equally qualified and kind as well. And my surgeon is one of the best in business.

You will come through with flying colors! I didn't enjoy the pre op diet but once after surgey, it was a distant memory.

Just outshout your fears with the voice of facts and reason! Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I just started drinking my first protien drink. I bought the Idopre zero carb because I don't really like creamy, milky, things and this is clear like Kool Aid. I'm not gonna lie....it is not very good but I can do it! I forgot to say how much I weight and stuff above. I am 5'7 and weigh 292 (last weigh in at the doctor anyway) I just need to keep hearing that it will be okay and I will wake up after surgery. I keep reading all these horror stories (I know I should stop but I can't help it) and it's freaking me out. Other than the diabetes (which I have had no physical complications from yet even though my BS has been over 500 before) I have no health issues.

You are EXACTLY where I was 2 weeks ago as far as weight. I am almost 2 weeks out of surgery and I am at 280...I just started mushies last week. THE HARDEST thing was the Pre-op diet...it stinks. If you can make it through this you will be fine.

The band DOES work if you work with it. Follow the rules and drink TONS of Water (like suggested). 54Shirtley is so right about the head hunger. YOU can do this!

Take a deep breath...we have all felt the same way. I had a major anxiety attack in pre-op and the doctors were wonderful. They said they would be worried about me if I wasn't concerned about surgery. They gave me a nice "cocktail" mix in my I.V. and the next thing I remember is the nurses waking me up.

You will look back in a few weeks after surgery and wonder why you did not do this sooner. I already have more energy than I have had in years! I can't wait to loose 20, 50, 100 lbs. more...I can not imagine how wonderful I will feel.

Whenever you get anxious use this board. Everyone on here is so supportive and we all want you to succeed! :D

I Had surgery on the 9th and the nurse laughed because she said the first you said when you woke up is "thank god I didnt die" :) lol you will be fine they all know what they are doing you have to trust your medical staff :)

It's human nature to have these fears. I have been there too! I had to have thyroid surgery prior to this surgery. That was my first surgery ever. I was so petrified that I couldn't think straight for days before. My surgeon is an outstanding doctor and human and when I told him I was extremely scared (mostly about the anesthesia) he assured me that there was no reason to worry. But I was still nervous until I actually got in the pre op room. My anesthesiologist was a HOTTIE (for some reason that helped!) and when I told him that I was terrified he was very compassionate too. What helped was that first shot to ease my nerves. AWESOME!! Completely took the edge off. When you get into the OR, you'll be out in a few minutes and won't even remember it.

This surgery I was very calm because I knew what to expect. The anesthesiologist (I tried to book my first one but no luck) was about 2 weeks from retirement but equally qualified and kind as well. And my surgeon is one of the best in business.

You will come through with flying colors! I didn't enjoy the pre op diet but once after surgey, it was a distant memory.

Just outshout your fears with the voice of facts and reason! Good luck!