Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Seminar Next Week!!!! Scared and Excited both!

:blink:I am scheduled (for the third time) for my seminar next week. Determined not to chicken out this time! At 51 years old, there is not much time left. I work full time and am relatively active for someone that has major arthritis! But this new diabetes diagnosis really sucks, especially as an RN that knows better in regards to diet etc. I have a friend/coworker that is planning this also, but I was hoping that actually joining a forum would help me be brave.

Please be brave and go this time Tara. It is a little scary but it is so worth it in the end. Be sure to come back and tell us how it went.

Yeah, Tara... the seminar is a piece of cake(hmmmm???). Very informative. I think I went to 3 before I actually decided to have the band. Best decision I ever made. Good Luck, keep us posted!

:blink:I am scheduled (for the third time) for my seminar next week. Determined not to chicken out this time! At 51 years old, there is not much time left. I work full time and am relatively active for someone that has major arthritis! But this new diabetes diagnosis really sucks, especially as an RN that knows better in regards to diet etc. I have a friend/coworker that is planning this also, but I was hoping that actually joining a forum would help me be brave.

Hi Tara:

I'm an RN as well - so we know what we know! I have an appointment on 4/28 with a surgeon. I'm scared too - but excited, it really can change our lives! We can do this together!

Carla

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Hey, it is so great to hear that I am not alone!! Seminar is on the 19th. I have been reviewing sites and blogs for months. Protein Shakes are my biggest challenge though, I have been tasting several different brands, but I do not like any of the Protein powders. Can we somehow get enough protein without too many calories - without the powder? I cannot even stomach drinking an Instant Breakfast, or any of the pre-mixed liquid drinks, they all make me gag. Ideas anyone?

Oh yeah, when I get everything going, someone will have to tell me how to get those cute weightloss thingies I have seen on so may sites! My posts will most of the time be in the middle of the night as I am a "vampire" nurse, and work nights!

Don't be scared, it's so worth it!!! I really hope this time you go and I can't wait to hear all about it. Good luck!

Hey!! Went to the seminar tonight, it was very informative. One of the first questions about the insurance though was answered by the physician "That insurance does not cover bariatric surgery" I about started crying there!!!! since it was my insurance, until I heard, "Unless you work for the hospital, they just started covering bariatric surgery in January for hospital employees". Whew!! It felt like a sign. Then there was the question of a Cancer diagnosis. 4 years out for my surgery/chemo. That was okay, as long as my oncologist says it is okay. I can't think of any reason why not, my last CT scans and blood work were clear. So now I am just waiting for the office to call me and let me know times and dates of pre-op tests. I dragged my husband along, while he does not really care about my size (and luckily, my silicone "girls") ***I know, I am really lucky in the husband department*** He realizes that I am very unhappy about my wieght, and health status, so he is very supportive. I warned him that I might be very "anti-cooking" for awhile and his response was "just make sure there is something for me to fix, and I can cook for myself" **what a doll!!!!! So I will post when I have some new dates/information etc. I feel that this site will be a big help, espeically with those that are having the procedure around the same time. Also, a friend from work is going to be going through this at the same time.

One question I have, tell or not to tell. Co-workers, extended family etc. What do you think? I only need to take off one week of work, it is summer, no big deal. What is the response from people, helpful or not? Let me know opinions please!!

Hey, should I do a picture "pre-op diet" or after the 2 weeks? Which weight should I use for the ticker tape? (once I figure out how to get it onto this site). :D

I didn't tell my family friends until "after" i got the band (excpt for my husband and my 2 sons).... Of course, you will have to tell those you live with because there are major changes in your cooking/eating habits. My husband and I used to eat out about 2 times a week, but that really isn't very practical now. When we do go out to eat, I have them bring me a "to-go plate" from the get go.. I know I will only eat 3-4 bites and I take the rest home for my hubby to finish off later that night! lol! One thing I would say... stay away from negativity! If they can't be supportive, stay off the topic! Remember why you are doing this... for YOU and your health! You will not be sorry! Good luck and God Bless!

Hey!! Went to the seminar tonight, it was very informative. One of the first questions about the insurance though was answered by the physician "That insurance does not cover bariatric surgery" I about started crying there!!!! since it was my insurance, until I heard, "Unless you work for the hospital, they just started covering bariatric surgery in January for hospital employees". Whew!! It felt like a sign. Then there was the question of a Cancer diagnosis. 4 years out for my surgery/chemo. That was okay, as long as my oncologist says it is okay. I can't think of any reason why not, my last CT scans and blood work were clear. So now I am just waiting for the office to call me and let me know times and dates of pre-op tests. I dragged my husband along, while he does not really care about my size (and luckily, my silicone "girls") ***I know, I am really lucky in the husband department*** He realizes that I am very unhappy about my wieght, and health status, so he is very supportive. I warned him that I might be very "anti-cooking" for awhile and his response was "just make sure there is something for me to fix, and I can cook for myself" **what a doll!!!!! So I will post when I have some new dates/information etc. I feel that this site will be a big help, espeically with those that are having the procedure around the same time. Also, a friend from work is going to be going through this at the same time.

One question I have, tell or not to tell. Co-workers, extended family etc. What do you think? I only need to take off one week of work, it is summer, no big deal. What is the response from people, helpful or not? Let me know opinions please!!

Hey, should I do a picture "pre-op diet" or after the 2 weeks? Which weight should I use for the ticker tape? (once I figure out how to get it onto this site). :D

Oh yeah, when I get everything going, someone will have to tell me how to get those cute weightloss thingies I have seen on so may sites! My posts will most of the time be in the middle of the night as I am a "vampire" nurse, and work nights!

Hey! I work nights also.. Sunday through Thursday 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. I am a medical QA and work online. Feel free to "holler" if you need any help or a sympathetic ear! I am on messenger also... lucky_five101@hotmail.com

Luck!

Whether or not to tell is a very personal decision. Some people are very comfortable being open with it and others prefer to keep it private. I originally was only going to tell my husband (we live in a different state from either of our families so it wouldn't have been difficult to keep it a secret) but my MIL decided to come visit over Thanksgiving while I was on my pre-op liquid diet. Since it would have been obvious that something was up, I ended up telling her and her boyfriend and then since I told her then I felt like I should tell my Mom. Since that time, my MIL and husband have both told a couple of people (despite my telling them not to :angry: ) so there are a few more people who know than I would have liked. The people I have told are very supportive...there are people who don't know and have asked what I am doing to lose weight and I have just told them that I am working with a Nutritionist to eat healthier and exercising (not entirely untrue).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Seminar done; I now have an official consult wtih the surgeon on the 14th of May!! woo hoo!!

Congrats on your decision and the beginning of the rest of your life! Good luck and God Bless!