Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie on here...just trying to figure this all out!!

Hello everyone, I am on day 3 of my preop diet which consists of 2 Protein Shakes, and 6 oz of meat with veggies, but man! This diet is hard!!! I keep finding myself leaning towards the "Atkins" diet since I have lost 50 lbs in the past, but of course gained it all back and then some after my daughter. Im wondering if it matters on that bcuz i'm not eating carbs that much except whats in the shakes, but i did add a hard boiled egg, string cheese, which my surgeon says it was ok, but Im eating more than 6 oz of meat...because if I don't, i'm starving in a couple of hours!! Does anyone have any advice? Not sure if it really matters if i'm loosing the weight anyways right? Or wrong?? <_<

I was told the point of the preop diet is to make sure that your liver is small enough to perform the surgery laproscopically. Basically, if your liver is too large and they can't safely move it, temporarily, out of the way during surgery there is a possibility that they will have to make a larger cut(s) and it not be done laproscopically. That was a big deal to me so I was pretty strict on mine. But i've seen tons of people on here that haven't had to do a preop diet at all so... who knows really. I would listen to your doctor as much as you can.

Good lucK!

I was told the point of the preop diet is to make sure that your liver is small enough to perform the surgery laproscopically. Basically, if your liver is too large and they can't safely move it, temporarily, out of the way during surgery there is a possibility that they will have to make a larger cut(s) and it not be done laproscopically. That was a big deal to me so I was pretty strict on mine. But i've seen tons of people on here that haven't had to do a preop diet at all so... who knows really. I would listen to your doctor as much as you can.

Good lucK!

Thank you! I know it's hard, but I do need to stay strong...I have lost 2.5 pounds since monday, so I know i'm loosing weight, I guess in the long run, it's better for me to eat this way so there are no complications in surgery.

Hello, I will be starting my pre op diet next week. The one my surgeon put me on is: sugar free protien shake, then a non caloric drink, apple or other fruit, then non caloric drink, sugar free protien shake for lunch, then non caloric drink, another fruit, more non caloric drink, then for dinner 4 0z chicken or fish and veggies, non caloric drink, protien shake and non caloric drink totaling of 64 Fluid oz of non caloric drinks per day. If your hungry in the evening then you can have either a sugar free Jello cup or a sugar free popcicle. My Surgeon is Dr Ashley Vernon at Brigham and Womans in Boston, Ma. She is also a teaching Dr.at Harvard medical school. My cousin didn't have to diet before surgery either, but please just follow your Dr's advice or your surgery could also be postphoned. Think of how wonderful you will feel when you can go to the smaller sized clothes area of any store!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) It will all be worth it!!! Great success to you and good luck!!!

Hello, I will be starting my pre op diet next week. The one my surgeon put me on is: sugar free protien shake, then a non caloric drink, apple or other fruit, then non caloric drink, sugar free protien shake for lunch, then non caloric drink, another fruit, more non caloric drink, then for dinner 4 0z chicken or fish and veggies, non caloric drink, protien shake and non caloric drink totaling of 64 Fluid oz of non caloric drinks per day. If your hungry in the evening then you can have either a sugar free Jello cup or a sugar free popcicle. My Surgeon is Dr Ashley Vernon at Brigham and Womans in Boston, Ma. She is also a teaching Dr.at Harvard medical school. My cousin didn't have to diet before surgery either, but please just follow your Dr's advice or your surgery could also be postphoned. Think of how wonderful you will feel when you can go to the smaller sized clothes area of any store!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) It will all be worth it!!! Great success to you and good luck!!!

Hi Doreen! Thank you for sharing! Wow! That's good, but i'm not sure if 4 oz is enough Protein for me at night..right now im eating about 6 oz with either a salad or veggies...well, good luck to you and let me know later on how your diet is going if you can!!! Best wishes to all your success!!!!

I am on day 8 of the pre op diet - for the second time. For me it is 2 shakes a day ... cottage cheese, yogurt, Jello, popcicles, and broth (ohhh and juice).

I love the shakes ... every time I get the urge to cheat and eat something I can CHEW ... a smell of these things and my hunger goes out the window. Just the smell of them will make me gag!

But if I cant do this prior to the surgery and not cheat - then it will be even that much easier to cheat after. I know me - I can justify ANYTHING if I want it bad enough.

Personally I am not thinking - well I wont ever be able to eat ___ again ... sure I will - just in moderation!

I know how you feel, this is my 5th day and all I can have is 3 protien shakes and 1 sugar free Jello or yogurt. The protien shake make me sick so that helps my hunger. I know several people who have been through this and they say its worth it so hang in there.

Sorry I messed up trying to post a comment, I'm new to this but I hope I will get better and make some friends, I need all the encouragement I can get.

I never had to do a pre op diet. The surgeon never said anything about having a large or small liver. I had my surgery over a year ago and am doing fine. 60 lbs. fine.

Wishing all of you luck. Hang in there - once you get your band, you'll learn to discipline yourself. You won't be able to eat as much as you use to, and eventually you won't even miss it. I don't eat bread of any kind - even pizza, which I absolutely loved. Now I just look the other way. It doesn't appeal to me. Sweets are sometimes tolerated - but I don't crave that either. It really will get better. You can do it.