Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you handle getting to eat your favorite meal?

I'm newly banded 3-31 and I want to know how long after surgery were u able to eat your favorite meal again. I love food, I think I'm a food addict, and I just keep fantasizing about the time I'm gonna get to sit down with a plate of my favorite foods! Then I think, omg! Am I gonna even enjoy myself? I picture myself getting my huge plate of food and just devouring every last bite and savoring the delicious flavors! And I'm scared I'm not going to be able to finish it but still trying to stuff it all down because it tastes SO GOOD..., I don't know... This is all new to me and I'm just trying to put into words some of the emotions and fears I'm going through...I'm realizing I truly LIVED TO EAT and now I'm afraid some of my joy of life will be lost.

Thanks for listening. :)

I'm newly banded 3-31 and I want to know how long after surgery were u able to eat your favorite meal again. I love food, I think I'm a food addict, and I just keep fantasizing about the time I'm gonna get to sit down with a plate of my favorite foods! Then I think, omg! Am I gonna even enjoy myself? I picture myself getting my huge plate of food and just devouring every last bite and savoring the delicious flavors! And I'm scared I'm not going to be able to finish it but still trying to stuff it all down because it tastes SO GOOD..., I don't know... This is all new to me and I'm just trying to put into words some of the emotions and fears I'm going through...I'm realizing I truly LIVED TO EAT and now I'm afraid some of my joy of life will be lost.

Thanks for listening. :)

I was banded on 3/18/11 and have thought about the same thing. I do love food but I love the compliments I have been getting more. I feel better about myself. I am looking forward to pizza....but know that I have to eat it slow, chew and may only be able to eat a few bites. My husband and I took our kids to Dairy Queen on Friday night. I got a "baby" cone chocolate. I was able to eat a tablespoon before throwing it out the window. I had to throw it out the window, or I would have gotten sick from over eating. It was a completely new feeling.

I think it's about moderation and finding other stuff to fill our lives with. I have my children, my family and my religion.

Thanks!

Did you have a psych consult or go to support groups before your surgery? There was no point in having the surgery if you're going to eat a large plate of food. You need to think about why you had the surgery. As to when you can eat real food, follow your docs guidelines

I have found that you still get that satisfaction because you get full. You don't need to poke down an entire plate of something to enjoy it. It took me a while to figure that out. Don't get me wrong, you may still want to overeat and keep going because it tastes good, but you need to really think about being full and quitting. I don't really "miss" stuffing myself because I get satisfied. It is a head game that we all need to learn to play. You'll be able to do it. Good Luck!

Thank you everyone! I did not have any kind of psych eval I am a self pay patient. I want this to work for me more than anything in the world! I was on a preop liquid diet and followed it to a tee. Now post op and am on full liquids and feel satisfied with that and my Protein Shakes. I do have the problem of finishing all of my cream of chicken Soup and then just feel VERY FULL! then I'll go walk so I don't feel so miserable. I have no restriction now and the swelling is gone from surgery.

Do I really sound crazy to you all?

I have found that you still get that satisfaction because you get full. You don't need to poke down an entire plate of something to enjoy it. It took me a while to figure that out. Don't get me wrong, you may still want to overeat and keep going because it tastes good, but you need to really think about being full and quitting. I don't really "miss" stuffing myself because I get satisfied. It is a head game that we all need to learn to play. You'll be able to do it. Good Luck!

If you watch how "thin" people eat you will notice they eat everything just in very small quanitities and are satisfied. That is what I love about the band. Yes, you can eat your favorite foods again but, not in portions that are ridiculously large. A bite or two will be plenty. Chew, chew, chew and enjoy the new you! You will be learning a new skill....moderation.

Thank you everyone! I did not have any kind of psych eval I am a self pay patient. I want this to work for me more than anything in the world! I was on a preop liquid diet and followed it to a tee. Now post op and am on full liquids and feel satisfied with that and my Protein shakes. I do have the problem of finishing all of my cream of chicken Soup and then just feel VERY FULL! then I'll go walk so I don't feel so miserable. I have no restriction now and the swelling is gone from surgery.

Do I really sound crazy to you all?

No, you don't sound crazy... you were thinking out loud, I kind of got a giggle out of it. That's the thing with the written word... it can be interpreted soooooooo many different ways.

I felt the same way after I was banded. I am definitely a food addict and an emotional eater, and the psychiatrist I met with before hand confirmed this. Today something interesting happened though...I was fixing my plate for my first solid food dinner and I found myself thinking "This is so much food!" I didn't finish everything because it felt like too much and I was satisfied anyway. I feel like having the lap band has almost "reprogrammed" my perception of what normal portions are and what hunger is. I used to live to eat, but now I eat to live.

Thanks everyone!!! This is definitely a learning experience! I hope that when I get to solids I will start "reprogramming" also! Someone on here said they question why I had the surgery. I had it because I feel like a whale!! I weighed 293 and I'm 5'2"! I had no energy and HATED feeling so uncomfortable in whatever stretchy pants big shirt I could find! I have list about 14 pounds since first pre op visit and I truly have more energy just from my Protein Shakes. I just wonder what it's going to be like when I get to solids and frankly I'm a bit afraid of the "whole plate" issue I discussed earlier.

Keep up the good work sauce...you don't sound crazy. If you can't ask an honest question here then one would question why these boards exist.

Thanks everyone!!! This is definitely a learning experience! I hope that when I get to solids I will start "reprogramming" also! Someone on here said they question why I had the surgery. I had it because I feel like a whale!! I weighed 293 and I'm 5'2"! I had no energy and HATED feeling so uncomfortable in whatever stretchy pants big shirt I could find! I have list about 14 pounds since first pre op visit and I truly have more energy just from my Protein shakes. I just wonder what it's going to be like when I get to solids and frankly I'm a bit afraid of the "whole plate" issue I discussed earlier.

I didn't think you sounded crazy at all...just honest. I am sure if we are all honest with ourselves we wondered what we will do when our favorite foods are put before us. We all got the lap band so we would be able to put our forks down!

I am more afraid of what will I be able to tolerate than how much I will eat. I cooked fajitas for the family tonight and wondered will I ever eat them again :) ? I am 10 post op and I am a little nervous about the day that solids are re-introduced.

Funny you mention fajitas! We cooked out the other day and I had a piece that I chewed all the flavor out of and then fed it to the dogs!!!! I know I'm not supposed to do that, but believe me, it was so delicious!!!! And I didn't feel so bad since I didn't swallow it! :)