Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I could use some advice..I think I am still able to eat too much

Good morning everyone,

I have an issue with the amount of food I am able to take in. I believe it is too much! I was banded April 2009. Original weight 335, Pre-op 318, Post surgery 311, current weight 297.

My story:

I was banded in April 2009 and had a good start, but I lost my job and insurance July 2009. I was not able to get another fill until January 2011 that was my 4th fill and then I had another one in February . Prior to these fills I had gone back up to 307lbs. By March I had lost a total of 10lbs. Trying to eat the right things, but not getting enough Water in. I try hard to get my water in but usually don't get more than 32 ozs a day. I had been counting calories on spark people trying to log this information to keep track of what and how I was doing. I believe however, I am able to still eat too much food. For Breakfast I usually eat 1 pack of oatmeal, and a chicken sausage. For lunch, I am able to eat like 4 ozs of meat and a green giant healthy weight vegetable, and a few chunks of cantaloupe. I have not been to the gym that much lately. I have seen and heard of other people weight just falling off them even without going to the gym. I dont understand the problem with me. To top it all off my doctor wants me to come back every other month for a fill. I am wondering why do I need to go back so often. I can't afford to go that often. Does anyone else go to the doctor ever other month to get a fill? Also lately it doesnt feel like I really have restriction until I eat too fast. If I eat too fast then I feel the restriction, but if I take my time and chew my food well and eat slow, I can actually eat more food than what I think I should be able to eat. My doctor's assistant also told me on the average people get 4-6 fills a year is this true? I really need some help, advice or guidance. A friend of mine recently went to her doctor and got a fill. She said when she tried to eat lunch, she ate 1/2 a chicken strip and couldn't eat anymore. I have never felt that kind of restriction. I am scheduled to go in Wednesday, April 13 for another fill. I appreciate all comments and advice, so thank you in advance.

Hi,

I am not quite 6 months post op.

I have gone in every 4-6 weeks for a fill. A couple visits, I didn't get a fill but still kept the appointment. I don't have a next appointment scheduled but will call for one if I start to stop losing or if I feel like I am not satisfied for 4-6 hours after eating.

I think frequent follow up is important.....

Just my opinion.

In the begginning it seems like you get lots of fills until you get to your sweet spot. The more ccs you get, the more you will begin to notice the amount you eat go down.

If you had restriction before but now don't have any I would bring that up as that could signal other problems.

I had several fills until I hit my sweet spot, but everyone has a different one. 1st fill was 3ccs then it went up by 0.5ccs till I hit 7ccs. I didn't notcie a big differenct in what I was able to eat until I hit 5.5ccs.

I was deflated completely for a year and have once again started the process of working my way back up slowly, 1cc at a time. Some of it seems to depend on the doctor as to how fast your inflated.

Part of it is that they want to ensure everything is working as it should, your not losing weight to fast, not having problems and gives you time to adjust to eating different, etc.

Good luck!

Similar deal here. Totally dove in and lost 20 lbs in the month before surgery and nothing off since. I'm a month out with no fill and am struggling to keep the 20 off that I earned pre-band. I go for my first fill on Monday.

Fills are key!! You must get fills, and for some people (like me) your band may be completely full or close to it before you even get decent restriction. Everyone is different, no one seems to know exactly why but it is completely normal to not have restriction right after surgery or even before your first two or three fills (or more). I was a year in before I ever had any food stuck because of a fill, boy was that a shock! You'll also find on the boards that for some people the weight comes right off and for others it is a constant struggle of monitoring diet and exercise. Some people are really sensitive to carbs even with the band and the limited intake. My dr is very strict on a lower carb diet, and though I don't always like it, the weight didn't come off until I embraced it.

Good luck!

Here's what I did - first - my surgeon is a general surgeon - lapband is the WL surgery he does and it's only about 5% of his business. I told him I wanted to be very agressive with my weight lose and the tightness of my band. I know me - if I can eat bread - I'll eat bread - so I kept my band really tight until I hit goal. I recently had 1/2 a cc removed and can now eat just about anything, but in very limited quantities.

Ask your doc for an agressive fill. I'm assuming you set up and guzzle down Water like your still in college and drinking a beer. My doc has me drink as he is filling and only stops filling when I let him know that the Water is at the base of my throat. We sit there a wait to make sure it passes through and if it doesn't he will remove some. If it passes too quickly, he gives me a little more. But I've had as much as 1 full cc during a fill. I have been as high as 7 cc in my 10 cc band, but have some removed twice in the last 6 months.....now I'm back to 6 cc.

If you have to pay everytime you go in (as do I) then just ask your doc to be more aggressive.....but remember. Make sure the water passes through before he removes the needle (no sliming) and be prepared to eat very lightly.....1 oz of very moist meat, greek yogurt, Protein drinks, salads.......no breads, no pizza, no Pasta........AND always, always eat your Protein first!!! Don't want to lose your hair!

And if you do go agressive - it will be tough and a shock at first......but I just couldn't be 18 months out and only have lost 30-40 pounds. I've lost 110 and I'm at my goal.....I'm still technically 20 pounds overweight, but you know what? I don't care! I love the way I look and feel and I'm very healthy!

Good luck - I'd love to hear what your doc says when you tell him you want an agressive fill!