Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Corona and lime with the Band?

Can you drink on the band? I like a few beers or a Sangria with dinner-will I have to give that up? Will it make me sick? Will I get drunk faster? I know someone who had gastic bypass and she gets drunk really fast-I don't wantthat but I am a Jersey Girl and love an occassional drink or two on the weekends.:o

As far as I know, we can still drink. Probably a few months after surgery or when the Dr clears you though. :) It won't be the same as bypass people where they get drunk quickly. We just have to be mindful of drinking too quickly and calories from liquid.< /p>

One and a half Coronas is equal to the calories in a snickers bar. I would be sure to add that to your calories budget for the day.

I've had no problem with beer - I choose the light variety all the time though as it does really make a difference in calories consumed. when drinking from the bottle straight though you may find it a bit hard to swallow because of the carbonation. I found beer easier to drink from the glass. It's no fun when you take a nice swig and it all comes back up and maybe hits somebody in the face (unless it is someone who is giving you unwanted attention). That's been my experience with beer. Other alcohol, no problem.

:Banane34:

There are a lot of different answers to this, but personally I still drink sometimes, and I did once in a while throughout my weight loss with no negative effects--not to say that is the case for everyone. My doctor doesn't have a problem with alcohol. I do seem to get tipsy faster (probably because I weigh much less than I did before), plus I definitely want to avoid having a hangover with vomiting, so I usually drink less at a time than I did pre-band.

I would ask your surgeon how they feel about carbonation after surgery. My surgeon says no way no how, my fiance's surgeon says once in a while is ok. You probably will get drunk faster since you can't have liquids after meals and there won't be anything in your stomach to absorb the alcohol. You probably won't be able to drink the way you used to, but see how you feel. Take it slow at first. My doc says no booze til 6 weeks post op, but every surgeon is different.

Thanks! So it looks like I'll still be able to enjoy a couple of drinks with dinner or at a party. I am confused by the one comment about not drinking after eating-is this a requirement for the Lapband?:)

You should wait a minimum of 30 minutes preferrably 60 after eating a meal before drinking. Also you should not drink while eating.

You should wait a minimum of 30 minutes preferrably 60 after eating a meal before drinking. Also you should not drink while eating.

Wow, I didn't realize this- does that mean drinking anything-even Water? What will happen if you drink while eating? Thanks!

the real repercussions of drinking with eating is that you push your food through your pouch area more quickly, which means you won't stay full as long. for the most part, i don't drink with meals, but i have done it when i've been out to eat without anything bad happening. it doesn't present a problem when i'm doing my normal thing at work/home/etc, but i haven't gotten the hang of not drinking when i'm out for dinner with friends.