Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's take it from the top

Hi all! My name is Pam and I am a 29 year old married woman. I don't have any children yet but eventually plan to.

So I just want to tell everyone a little bit about my story. I have always been on the heavier side. Even as a child I was the "chubby kid" . My mother passed away when I was 11 and my weight went up like crazy. I went on a diet when I was in 9th grade and lost a lot of weight. I was down to about 160 (from 230) and felt really good but as soon as I wasn't under the watchful eye of my family I ate what I want, when I wanted, and how much I wanted.

Over the course of the next 15 years or so my weight got completely out of control. Stress, depression, loss of family and friends, and a complicated marriage all took a toll on me. My weight got up to 393lbs. I am 5' 4" so you can imagine how it looks. Luckily I have had my wake up call.......

Back in January a very important person in my life had gotten sick. It turned out that due to his weight his body turned toxic on him and he was about 2 days away from dying. He is now getting the care that he needs and is on his way to recovery but it set off a spark in me. I decided that I am tired of the life I am living and the only person that can change it is me.

On March 2nd I went to my first appointment with a bariatric surgeon (Dr. Richard Pucci in Suffern/Goshen NY). He gave me a list of things that I need to do (blood work, see a nutritionist, get a psychological evaluation, and get cardiology clearance just to name a few). By March 9th I had everything done. They told me it would take a while for my insurance company to approve or deny me. On March 15th all of my records were submitted to the insurance company. I got a phone call on March 18th from my doctor saying that I was approved!

I went to the doctors today (March 22) and set my date to get the lap band. My surgery will take place on April 15, 2011.

I am so grateful for the way things have played out. Although I would never in a million years want this person to go through what he has again I can’t help but be thankful that he did. If not for him I would not be so quick to make this change in my life. I really hope that this will help me turn over a new leaf and make me the person that I want to be. I plan on becoming an inspirational person doing either motivational speaking or counseling of some sort. This may just be my niche.

I appreciate the support that I have gotten thus far and look forward to the support in the future because lord knows I’m going to need it. It is going to be a long journey but it is one that I can’t wait to take. I am really glad that I have found this web site as well. Hoping to make some great friends along the way. I'm an open book so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Hi Pam, my name is Christina. I am also 29 and having my lapband on April 15th. I am so excited and would love to keep in touch. Are you doing the preop diet now? I am surprised that it isn't as hard as I thought. I am new to the forum and no sure how to get around very well but you can email me at christinarussian09@gmail.com. congrats on making the steps to a healthier you!

Hi Pam, here's wishing you a Wonderful Journey! Good Luck to you!

Hi Pam, my name is Christina. I am also 29 and having my lapband on April 15th. I am so excited and would love to keep in touch. Are you doing the preop diet now? I am surprised that it isn't as hard as I thought. I am new to the forum and no sure how to get around very well but you can email me at christinarussian09@gmail.com. congrats on making the steps to a healthier you!

Congrats to you as well. I am not on a specified pre-op diet however they did ask me to lose between 10-25 lbs before my surgery date. I have lost 12 already so I am in the clear but I'm going to see if I can lose more before I go. I'm brand new to the site myself but feel free to email me as well. singsnaplove@gmail.com :D

Pam and Christina i feel like i have so much in common with both of you ! I'm 28 so right around the same age and my surgery date is 4/13/2011 so same time as you both ! I hope everything works out for the best. Christina i was tempted to email you but i thought you would think who is this lady?:unsure: lol anyways good luck with everything !

Jennifer

Pam and Christina i feel like i have so much in common with both of you ! I'm 28 so right around the same age and my surgery date is 4/13/2011 so same time as you both ! I hope everything works out for the best. Christina i was tempted to email you but i thought you would think who is this lady?:unsure: lol anyways good luck with everything !

Jennifer

Well welcome to the wagon Jennifer :) I wish you the best of luck with everything and please feel free to message me any time. Please keep me posted on your progress.