Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post surgery

. I know im supposed to be on Clear Liquids but I just don't think its physically possible, plus if I take my time and go slow, I think I'll be okay. Does anyone else feel thirsty all the time? I thought it was because I was dehydrated but I've been drinking Water and gatorade like crazy, but if I go more than like 30 minutes without drinking my mouth gets real dry.

Yes, I was thirsty all the time and had cotton mouth if I didn't have some liquids going in. I'm not on clear liquids just regular liquids and having to really concentrate to get it in. The warm broth goes down the easiest and then the most liquidy Protein Shake takes a while to get in, but I feel so much better once i have some calories and Protein in me. Try sucking on ice chip to help your dry mouth. It helped me a lot. Good luck!

Vanessa

I am 2 days post op. I have not had any gas pain and the incision sites are sore but not unbearable. I have to be on Clear Liquids for 5 days before I move to full liquids, this morning my stomach has been growling like an angry lion, don't know how I am going to survive 5 days, I am going to go out today maybe to the mall just to keep my mind off food.< /p>

I am glad everyone is recovering well.

wow so happy every one is doing well and they say walk walk walk for the gas pain but it sounds like you really dont have muck but i am on my two week diet and i got Protein fron GNC and its not bad at all i mix it with 4oz of Water and 4oz of 2% milk but when i have it i do fell better i am set to get banded on the 18th and i hope it is good like you guys are doing that is what i am scared of is the gas pain so happy to see every one is doing weel and good luck

In response to Woodslass, I finally had a bowel movement yesterday and it was nothing but Water, but boy was there alot of it. I thought I would feel relieved but it only helped minimally. I wouldn't worry about having a bowel movement, your drinking so much liquids its bound to happen soon enough. Also, my throat is swollen..maybe from the tube? but it seems worst in the morning and this morning was just awful.

In response to Woodslass, I finally had a bowel movement yesterday and it was nothing but Water, but boy was there alot of it. I thought I would feel relieved but it only helped minimally. I wouldn't worry about having a bowel movement, your drinking so much liquids its bound to happen soon enough. Also, my throat is swollen..maybe from the tube? but it seems worst in the morning and this morning was just awful.

My throat was sore too for about 2 days but cleared right up. I was warned beforehand that putting the tube down would give me a sore throat. Plus I think that all the meds and everything also makes your mouth and throat dry. Once I started forcing myself to drink more it went away.

Still no bm, but I'm expecting that sooner than later. I'm on day 4 post op, but my Dr told me that I could move to soft foods when I felt ready, so I had two scrambled eggs this morning and a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and I feel pretty good, no issues so far.

I don't know what pain meds you are on, but Vicodin constipates me something horrible. I'm going to ask the Doc for Darvocet instead. That's what I did for my hysterectomy and it worked great.

oh ya and my doctor actually discouraged the Gummy bear Vitamins because theyre sticky and can stick to the upper stomach. I bought Flinstones and they seem to do the trick.

My doctor said the same thing...... stay away from gummies and get Flinstones Complete instead. Now my son and I are taking the same Vitamin LOL. He also recommended a chewable Calcium citrate, Vitamin D3 and Magnesium supplement.

Faith

My throat was sore too for about 2 days but cleared right up. I was warned beforehand that putting the tube down would give me a sore throat. Plus I think that all the meds and everything also makes your mouth and throat dry. Once I started forcing myself to drink more it went away.

Still no bm, but I'm expecting that sooner than later. I'm on day 4 post op, but my Dr told me that I could move to soft foods when I felt ready, so I had two scrambled eggs this morning and a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and I feel pretty good, no issues so far.

real food! I am still not there, I get them on monday. I went back to work on day 4 and seem to spend the rest of my time sleeping. I am a grocery cashier at a busy Fred Meyers store so there is no rest. The first day back was hard, but doing ok on day three. My hardest thing seems to be getting enough Water in. I drink it all day while I work, but it makes me burp! I also have to remember to quit drinking about 1/2 hour before I have my Soup or else I do not get to drink much of it. As for the BM I am in the same boat. I took something last night hoping to help it along, but nothing....I am not in pain so I guess it will happen when it happens. I talk to my dr this monday for my one week check up and will see what she thinks. My throat has finally stopped being sore in the morning and the dry mouth is gone, so I guess I am on my way. Hope everyone is doing well. Remember it is one step at a time...

real food! I am still not there, I get them on monday. I went back to work on day 4 and seem to spend the rest of my time sleeping. I am a grocery cashier at a busy Fred Meyers store so there is no rest. The first day back was hard, but doing ok on day three. My hardest thing seems to be getting enough Water in. I drink it all day while I work, but it makes me burp! I also have to remember to quit drinking about 1/2 hour before I have my Soup or else I do not get to drink much of it. As for the BM I am in the same boat. I took something last night hoping to help it along, but nothing....I am not in pain so I guess it will happen when it happens. I talk to my dr this monday for my one week check up and will see what she thinks. My throat has finally stopped being sore in the morning and the dry mouth is gone, so I guess I am on my way. Hope everyone is doing well. Remember it is one step at a time...

About two hours after I posted yesterday I had a small bm - YAY! I was a little worried - which makes me laugh because who would have thought I would be worried about that?

I admire you Brenda, I can't imagine having gone back to work yesterday, which was my Day 4. Today was the first day that I woke up without any pain and was able to get out of bed without wincing.

I talk to my doctor on Tuesday, which is one week after my surgery too, and I have a lot of questions. I don't know what type of band I have (he chooses it right there in surgery) or how many cc's it will hold. I also want to make the appt for my first fill in a few weeks.

For the last two days I have kind of been freaking out, I had such bad pains in my stomach, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out if it was pain from surgery or hunger pains. I was scared to eat something really solid but I said to hell with it - since my doctor told me to go at my own pace within reason (except nothing hot for the first 7 days), I am experimenting very very slowly.

Last night, dh made some mashed potatoes with just a little butter and skim milk, and then made some sausage gravy to put on top. I had a bowl the size of half a cup, and ate it over half an hour after it cooled to just barely warm. I was in utter bliss and it went down fine, and for the first time since surgery I felt satisfied and full. I ate another half a cup about 4 hours later before bed. I think that's why I slept so well last night, and woke up feeling great!

Also, I made a Protein shake for the first time yesterday that I could actually drink. I'm one of those people that can't stand the texture or aftertaste of Protein shakes - the premade ones have completely grossed me out. Something about the thickness and texture gets my gag reflex going badly. But I took a suggestion from someone in the Food/Recipes section and put a packet of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate Protein powder, 8 oz of skim milk, 1 banana, 2 tbsp smooth Peanut Butter and a cup of ice in the bender and mixed it up. It was fantastic - I was SO happy to finally find something I could drink without wanting to gag. I've only been drinking Isopure Zero Carb mixed half and half with white grape juice or apple juice up until now, which is clear and I can tolerate it. I was worried about the white grape juice though, it's pretty calorie and sugar intensive and I know I can't keep that up for long.

Today I am going to try eating a few turkey meatballs my sister made, they are very moist and if I chew well, they should go down fine. She also brought over some homemade chicken broth because I'm finding that I'm very sensitive to salt since my surgery and she made it without a lot of salt (which most premade Soups have a ton of).

One thing I know I have been bad about is getting up and about. This is the first time I've ever had surgery in my entire life, besides getting wisdom teeth out 25 years ago. I've really babied myself and given into the pain, and my husband put his foot down last night and told me today I need to stop sitting around and get used to walking around more. He's right, and so I'm going to go down right now and do some dishes and maybe some laundry.

One last thing...I'm getting very worried about Spot. She had surgery the day after I did (Wed the 6th) and she hasn't posted at all. I hope she is all right, I'm really concerned. If we don't hear from her by Tuesday I will definitely be asking my doctor about her (we have the same one).

Have a great Sunday all my April Bandster buds!

PS: I'm down 5 lbs since the surgery as of today - woohoo! For the first time in 5 years I am below 350 :)

One last thing...I'm getting very worried about Spot. She had surgery the day after I did (Wed the 6th) and she hasn't posted at all. I hope she is all right, I'm really concerned. If we don't hear from her by Tuesday I will definitely be asking my doctor about her (we have the same one).

Ditto that - hope to hear from her soon.

It is very strange that Spot hasn't checked in. She was on here with us pretty regularly before. Sure hope to hear from her soon.

Hello all, I too am an April 5th bandster! I was totally expecting to be a later April bandster but got my insurance approval on 3/25 and they scheduled surgery on 4/6. There was a change in my pre-op appt. (originally for 3/28) so I saw the doc and signed all the consents on 3/31. At that point, I had lost 10 lbs and my BMI was 37 so doc said I did not have to do the pre-op liquid diet!!! That was the best news ever because like Woodslass I HATE Protein Shakes. And usually my doc requires 1 to 2 weeks of nothing but Carnation Breakfast drink and Water. I then got a call from my doc on 4/3 and he moved up surgery by a day to 4/5 due to needing to attend an out of state funeral. So, here I am 6 days out and finally feeling pretty good. I had a hiatal hernia that was repaired during the surgery and doc said it was much bigger and worse than he expected so I was in OR for 2 hours instead of the 45 min to 1 hour he had originally predicted. Because of that, I think I have been in much more pain and much weaker than I would have been with just lap band. I usually bounce back from surgery and pain quickly but this time, it kicked my butt. I finally weaned myself off pain meds as of yesterday though!! I also walked around the block yesterday and drove my daughter 2 blocks to school today. Getting there!! I am really struggling with getting enough Protein because as I said I also hate them, the texture and aftertaste are awful and it takes me over an hour of sipping and sipping water after each sip to get it into me, ugh!! I don't know how I am going to make it through another week!! I have had some cream of chicken Soup and Tomato Soup but the protein level is pretty low. I cant wait till I can get my protein with scrambled eggs and yogurt!!! I empathize with lack of BM (one very small this AM and thats it) and gas pains....they come and go though. Hope everyone is well. I have been reading posts at work but can not post from there due to filters :)

Forgot to add.....lost 9.5 pounds since surgery....whoo hooo! (total of 19.5 since the beginning of this process)

Todays a good day, My dr just gave me permisson to move tho soft foods!! Yeah good bye Soup hello smuchies!!! My energy level has been great, but I did get back to my normal life very quickly and have now lost a a total of 19 pounds....did not think I would loose this fast. My first fill appt is set up for May 3rd. Hope everyone is having a fantasic day.

I have to admit I'm a little jealous, I haven't lost any weight since the surgery. I plan to start exercising this week, maybe that will help.