Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else been told they did not have to do a pre-operative diet? My doctor doesn't require it. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just trying to see if this is perhaps a new technique or procedure.

Has anyone else been told they did not have to do a pre-operative diet? My doctor doesn't require it. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just trying to see if this is perhaps a new technique or procedure.

I didn't have to and have heard others on here who didn't have to either - i'm not sure if it has to do with health issues or amount of weight to lose.

I didnt do it either was not told to I would say that is a plus for you go out two nights before your surgery and have your farewell dinner thats what I did.

Yeah I didn't have a preop diet either

Lucky! haha. The pre op is mainly to shrink your liver for surgery, some doctor's don't require it, and some don't require it if your BMI is lower.

I personally liked it for the Water weight loss, I lost a good 15lbs from it, it was a nice jumpstart to my weight loss :). But it's HELL haha.

I was banded 3.29.11 and no pre diet here...

I only had one day of a preop diet - the day before my surgery. But after surgery I was on a liquid diet for three weeks.

Dave

The preop and postop diet will vary and seems to be based on whatever that particular surgeon's opinion of what a good preop and postop diet is. I've talked with a number of people on this forum and others, and there were people with only 50 pounds to lose who had to do a 4 week liquid preop diet and some who had 200+ pounds to lose who only had, like me, to do Clear liquids the day before surgery. I couldn't find any pre-existing medical conditions that made any more sense out of it.

That said, everyone should do the best they can to follow their surgeon's rules...or find a surgeon who has rules they can follow. ;)

All depends on your surgeon and I think if you have a fatty liver. Consider yourself lucky!!! :-)

Yeah, my surgeon has me on the diet to shrink my liver, but he also said that he requires it to see how committed folks can be to change their lifestyle. It makes sense to me; but I could definitely see that it is a surgeon's preference. One difference I can see after reading this board for a while between my surgeon and others is that my surgeon actually advises against Protein Shakes, and encourages other kinds of high Protein foods. I find that interesting... I personally can't see what's wrong with protein shakes.< /p>