Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band With Gastric Plication

Gingy and others out there who have had the Banded Gastric Plication. I am having it done on 7/7 and am so looking forward to moving on with this thing. My Doctor introduced this option to myself and 5 other syesterday. He said he has seen wonderful results with little or no difference regarding recovery. I have lost 12 pounds in my pre-surgery diet (2 weeks). Starting today NO CARBS but all the steak my heart desires. My doctor is big on the high protein-low carb diet - he is 100% on that bandwagon (he has a band himself). I would love to hear how all of you are doing and how your weight loss has been. I would also like to hear how you are feeling now and if you would do it again. The doctor said I can change my mind on the Plication all the way up to falling asleep. Right now I have not heard anything that is making me back down. I have 100 pounds still to loose and this sounds like the best option for me. B) Please post and let me hear from you. I do feel alone on some of this as it is so new.

This is my experience -

I had the lap band with plication done at Duke (Durham, NC) on Tues 28 June. Short story, I've had two cervical spine surgeries, got up to 282 lbs at my worst, and got down to 250 during the pre-process. I was told with the lap band alone realistically to expect 40-50% loss of excess weight, so to get under 200 lbs means success! The psychologist said that women particularly tend to get a 'magic number' stuck in their mind and though they reach the bariatric center's definition of success, women get frustrated at not reaching their own magic number so see it as a failure and it will take more effort to maintain weight loss than we think. I just need to lose weight to be healthier and have increased mobility, and for me, the less drastic surgery was the better option. I will be thrilled to get to one-derland (weight in the 100's), but am remaining open to seeing how far I can go, especially with being more able to exercise. Then they mentioned banding with plication which seems to be the tool that can work in combination to get an additional 25-30% of excess weight off. Other people’s result of ten pounds the first week to 45 lbs the first 2-3 months are inspiring! The surgery fellow said 10% of bandsters can reach the same weight loss percentage as bypass patients – with lots of hard work and exercising.

I think I emptied my liver of a lot of stored energy - I lost 5 lbs the weekend before the surgery, was getting my heavy activity done, drinking more Water than I ever have in my life, and cutting back on food (the fridge was pretty cleaned out). I went in Tues and came home that evening around 6 pm. I've been sleeping a lot, probably due to pain meds.

I think I have a high pain threshold after living with chronic pain x 7 yrs, but this hurts more than the cervical surgeries, which also makes sense - this time it's soft, moveable tissue, involving core muscles (the abdomen balances with the back muscles to keep us upright and move between horizontal and vertical). It is one of the most painful things I've had done, but that's a temporary, short-term trade-off. This leads in to the pain management warning –initially, take your pain meds on a regular basis. It takes time for the pills to dissolve, get into the blood stream, and reach a therapeutic threshold. For the initial period after surgery, take your meds on time to keep that therapeutic threshold met. This is not the time to be a martyr - your body needs all its energy to heal rather than fight pain. It is not a sign of weakness to listen to your body’s needs and not suffer in silence! Your body will also tell you when you need less pain meds in that first 48-72 hour period. YMMV (your mileage may vary, of course!)

Because of my neck/back experience, I was prepared for the getting up/down. In order to get up, lay on one shoulder and hip, drop your feet over the edge of the bed, let your upper body roll to the edge of the bed, and push to get up. Using gravity relieves the abdominal muscles of the work and is less painful.

I‘ve only had a couple of bouts of nausea – the first when being moved from recovery to the ambulatory care suite, drinking my first liquids, and the first time I felt full. I haven’t had a lot of shoulder/gas pain, but then I can only lay on my sides and not my back/stomach. This leads to burping – burping feels GOOD! It’s an instant release of pressure – whew!

I’ve never been a water drinker, but after surgery, my mouth was so dry anything was good. The nurse offered to switch to Crystal Light lemonade which tasted better than champagne at the time! Warning: it seems to leave your mouth drier than water, but is good for keeping you drinking. Have water to sip on the ride home (I forgot to pack any). The first night home, I stuck with hydrating fluids.

Day 1

I started Protein on the hour, hydrating liquids the other three 15 minute intervals. I am using Mio flavored water, diet cranberry juice (if diet, does it still need to be diluted? I have been diluting it), and water in addition to my Protein Drinks, variety is the spice of life! I can sit up, walk, and sleep – I still hurt with the pain meds. After 7-8 hours, I started feeling full and nauseated and when I continued drinking past the point of comfortable, and had dry heaves. So I backed off and took a break until I could drink without nausea, discomfort, etc. Lesson here Janet, listen to your body. I learned that if I missed a dose of hydrating fluids, having an extra in the next 30 minutes was not good this early in the process. Stepped on the scale at home – up four pounds, to be expected with inflammation/swelling.

Day 2

No hunger at all. Less pain. But I start protein as soon as I wake up. The nutritionist wants calories consumed within an hour of waking as a long term goal. Since the liver is storing less energy, it makes sense to add some early – to avoid low blood sugar, fainting, and to kick start pulling energy from the fat stores (which requires water also). Down one pound from yesterday – going to the bathroom more. Increased activity – which is good for lower risk of blood clots. Much less pain, so will cut back on meds so I can stay awake more!

At Duke, I signed two research consents – both are data collection only studies. One is a long term data collection for type of procedure and amount of weight loss over time. The other with a lapband, was for a sample of fat tissue taken from the port site (something about DNA, genotyping and pancreatic enzymes). I joked with Dr. Torquati about reading about my fat sample in a literature article one day!

Duke recommends liquids only for the first 3 weeks. After the 3 week post-op, we move to a mushed diet until the 3 month mark (more on that at the time of the 3 week appt). From an eating person’s viewpoint, it sounds hard, but from this viewpoint, it seems doable. I never thought I’d say this, but the flexibility of a Protein Shake when I haven’t prepared a meal or things change last minute, is awesome! The surgeon only filled the band with enough saline to keep the band in place. With the plication, there is less need for fills until later in the process.

Sorry about the extra long post – from here, I promise shorter updates!

More later,

Janet

S&C,

I'd do it again in a heart beat! I'm 35 years old, no co-morbidities. My BMI was 40. I lost 10lbs prior to surgery just because. My doctor did not put me on any special pre-op diet. Since, I've lost 32 lbs. I have 48 to go. I do low carb, high Protein as well. It works great for me. I don't feel like I'm starving myself... and I've never cared for the sweets much anyway.

From the beginning I've had great restriction. The plication is to credit for that. I've had one fill and have 4 cc's in my band. I get full quickly when I eat. I still eat 6 small meals a day.

My recovery time was about 2 weeks - then another month to get my energy back. I got tired easily. My husband only took 2 days off work for my surgery, so I was back being a full time mom right away. Driving and doing everything. Hindsight, probably not the best idea... but I didn't have a choice.

My weight loss is not super fast... nor do I want it to be. I want the process to be about learning how to eat right, exercise and not focus so much on food... like I used to. Slower weight loss has helped my skin not be saggy too. I'm very pleased with my results!!! I'd do it all again :)

Good luck to you!

Gingy

My band was too tight and I've formed a pouch above my band causing the worst acid reflux of my life. My doctor is going to take my band out but has given me the choice of putting another band in or trying Gastric Plication. I'm not sure which to go with.....any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brett

i don't feel i have enough info to answer. my doctor did say that he didn't expect the gastric plication to last very long. couple of years at the most. in other words, the sutures would come out and the stomach would go back to normal size. just one thing to think about.

good luck to you! i wish you the best :)

Gingy

day 7 was a big turning point for me as far as pain, spasms, cramps, gas and all. then i had a set back around day 10 or so. then day 14 was another turning point where i started feeling even better. on April 11 i started my menstrual cycle and then i felt bad again... felt like my insides were coming out. after about 24 hours of that, i felt better again. now i'm on soft foods and i feel much better. so i've had ups and downs... but day 7 was my biggest day of pain lessening and me feeling better.

Gingy, could you update us on your progress? I'm about to have both and was curious 3 months out how it's going.

Thanks.

sure! i've lost 45lbs. still just have 4cc's Fluid in my band. i went last week for a checkup and we decided not to do any fills right now because i have great restriction. i eat about 3/4 cup to 1 cup of food twice a day - then 3 to 4 smaller Snacks throughout the day. like a cheese stick, some veggies, beef Jerky or fruit. but that's a very small portion when i have a snack.< /p>

i still do the low carb, high Protein diet. i really only get hungry about 11pm at night. i think that's because that's when i go the longest without food.... from 6 - 11pm.

i feel great - have energy and exercise. i'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

thanks,

gingy

You are not alone, I had this procedure done today and I love it.

I'm doing a lot better now. Day 7 was the turn around day for me.... where I started feeling better. Don't do anything you're not comfortable with. After I read about plication, I felt for sure about having it done. Now I feel all alone though. There are many with the band... and a lot have gone down to Mexico to have the plication... but I have yet to find anybody who have BOTH lap band with gastric plication. So I feel lonely :( It would be nice to have another to talk to who knows what I'm going through.

Good luck to you! Message me anytime!

Gingy

Hello All,

I was banded on 3-24 in Durham, NC by Dr. Portenier. Prior to surgery he told me about Gastric Plication and told me that I could have that done at the same time as the band. I opted to do it. Kinda like 2 WLS in one. Just wondering if anyone else did this?? If so what your experiences thus far have been?

I felt absolutely awful the first week after surgery. A lot of gas on my chest, shoulder pain, nauseous constantly and many, many esophageal spasms. The 7th day was much better and I have felt more normal. I'm not doing so great at sticking to the all liquid diet for 3 weeks. I have had some mushy Proteins. Like cottage cheese and refried Beans.< /p>

I'm still not taking in a lot of calories a day.... still staying hydrated like I'm supposed to, but the scales just aren't moving down. They did the first 5 days. But nothing after that.

I appreciate this forum and I love hearing the success stories!

Gingy

Gingy... how are you now? I have surgery scheduled with Dr. Portenier on October 31 and will have to band plus plication. Would love to hear more about your progress.

Good luck to you. I am so happy with my plication along with the band.

HELLO,

I have a leak in my band , my dr gave me an option to get the plication(dr calls it Ilap) While he is replacing my band. I will be his 4th patient he has done this on. I get excited and nervous at the same time the only thing im really worried about is "are the stitchings going to hold up" if they dont that will result in death and im young with three kids. Maybe I shouldnt think like that but it is in my head. I appreciate the info above-I have my pre op tomorrow and surgery FrIday the 21st. I would love to keep in touch with everyone to check progress and goals along the way. please message me your email addresses. Good Luck with everyone

HELLO,

I have a leak in my band , my dr gave me an option to get the plication(dr calls it Ilap) While he is replacing my band. I will be his 4th patient he has done this on. I get excited and nervous at the same time the only thing im really worried about is "are the stitchings going to hold up" if they dont that will result in death and im young with three kids. Maybe I shouldnt think like that but it is in my head. I appreciate the info above-I have my pre op tomorrow and surgery FrIday the 21st. I would love to keep in touch with everyone to check progress and goals along the way. please message me your email addresses. Good Luck with everyone

The beauty of the plication is that if the stitches don't last, they dissolve and the stomach pops out to its regular size. In fact, one of the risks/warnings is that the stitches sometimes last 2-3 yrs and then the stomach resumes it's usual shape under the lapband. but 2-3 yrs should be enough time to lose our excess weight.

Update, since my surgery on 28June:

I have been unemployed, traveling for job interviews, visiting a friend who has cancer for two weeks, driving from one coast to another for a job, living without ability to cook for myself..... so life has been more hectic than usual, and a little stressful. I have not always been able to follow my home diet. After three months, I'm at 30 lbs lost. BUT will all that, I'm not gaining. AND even those 30 lbs have made a huge difference, I have more energy, I am able to move more easily... and I brought my total home gym cross country with me (as soon as I get a place where I can set it up to use).

I can maintain my current weight by eating as I am.. but that's not good enough. I am boosting my Protein and limiting my carbs more strictly now in order to see the scale go down again. BUT no matter what I do, if I don't add exercise, I am not going to move the numbers down very much. Getting up and moving is the real magic secret. And let me tell ya, the more I move and lose, the easier it gets. I can walk more and longer now than I have in years... and I'm just getting started.

Janet

To all you experienced advance members-------

HELP--PLEASE!

I am six (6) days post-op. I am having alot of discomfort, not pain by definition cause I don't 'need' to take pain meds. I still have alot of gas discomfort and the incisions do not hurt but where I imagine my stomach was folded, hurts. I am taking small sips (I just want some Creme of Wheat) and have had no feelings of throwing up. I would really love to have a "Elf"-style belch, but cannot produce even a small burp. I do have small "back-end explosions" but it is only momentary in the relief. GasX does not help.

I cannot stomach the protien drinks, chicken/beef broth, Jello, etc. anymore. I drink water--that's all I can stomach. But I am hungry. Please help!!!!

I need to know if this will subside and is this normal recovery for an I-Band?

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Cheri,

I'm so sorry no one has responded sooner.. If you are still having these problems, please call your surgeon and let them know what is happening. While many of us experienced more discomfort through day 7-10, you may or may not be experiencing something different or more serious. Also please let them know that you are unable to tolerate anything but Water - you need some type of intake to prevent a potentially serious inbalance of your blood chemistry.

The hunger at that point is normal and will improve, but your body is telling you that it needs more than water... you need some type of Protein etc and your surgeon can help you find something you can tolerate.

Please let us know how you are doing through this process.

Janet

Im having this procedure done on wed12/21 from what i read im kinda freaking out with all the pain.