Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band With Gastric Plication

Thanks gingy - the Water weight is starting to come off slowly (did you know a gallon of IV's weights 8 lbs LOL :) I have some tummy cramps - the gas factor is better this time around overall (I had the left shoulder thing for weeks the first time - its gone after days this time); my abs are better this time around though the pain the first night was horrendous as I mentioned. They may not have done anything w/ the port which means my abs won't be totally shot too - feels like it. I think i may be ready to be on mushies soon starting to feel hungrier (we do liquids for 10 days).

YES if a month out w/ no fills (which you have not had yet if i recall) you are full it is totally the plication! COOL! That is what I figured would happen! Fascinating stuff.

Yea mine was tougher cuz of the revision mainly as they have to deal w/ scar tissue and get rid of it so its more invasive. The hernia i had last time too; the liver biopsy was unrelated to this but a great oppty to get it for other issues I've had (that would cause some ouchiness and the plication itself which is the cramping you experienced and I'm having now - when does that stop???)

Having said that it is Day 6 and I feel like i am reaching a turning point of less pain.

hmarko, no i didn't experience what you did. sounds like you went through so much. i do get full very quickly even without Fluid in my band. that's nice. it's hard to get in the calories i'm supposed to get in each day. i think that's the plication. so far i'm pleased!

Navy wife new procedure they are doing either alone or w/ lap band best bet is to google it which is what I am doing (I think its sort of like a vertical sleeve w/o having to cut away the stomach). I went in for a revision they did that procedure as well as replace my band. I was having issues when my band was getting tightened it was all very subtle and did not show up on the films. But there was a hiatal hernia (which hadn't been there b4) and a slight slip. Plication is not when they fold over the stomach over the band to prevent a slip (which many people due to the newness of the procedure start getting confused) . Its an area to watch. Those of us who had it are the ones to watch :) Yes I do feel like a guinea pig but I think for me this may be great. I have a horse I fell off badly in sept and while I was ok I guess it may have caused this slip. I could have lived w/o the surgery but I was likely risking gaining all my weight back - could no longer get the band tightened so seemed like a had no where to go. I think it was genius on my Dr's part to do this - busy practice and its still new for them too.

Did you get this done yet or are you waiting to do this? I have an appointment at Duke the end of this month to schedule my surgery and Dr Yoo suggests this surgery. I will post more info I find out after the appointment.

Theresa

Theresa I just had it done on April 9. I already had a lap band in 09 and lost a max of 72 lbs; this had to get revised due to a suspected hiatal hernia. To be honest the biggest focus of the conversation w/ my surgeon preop was whether to do the revision or not at all as I had already lost 60 lbs; with 30 lbs more to go. I stalled out last year because of this issue that needed correcting. We spent an hour discussing that and literally once I decided after being given the two options, she said she would also put two pleats in my stomach and showed me on the model in the office. She didn't really ask me if I wanted it, and I left it to her as well. But a revision is a different story than putting a new band in because you are already dealing with something that failed to work, so in a way there is a need to get more aggressive too if you want success. She was clear that this was in experimental stages but she spent more time discussing risks to a liver biopsy than the plication; and felt confident that the plication was a brilliant solution. My decision was whether to proceed w/ surgery; once that decision was made my surgeon took the best option to ensure success the second time around given my particular situation.

I also had a liver biopsy and the replacement of a band is worse than putting a brand new one in but I felt 40 times worse this time than my first surgery. I am told its because of the adhesions and scar tissue they need to remove, when putting in a replacement band (and they couldn't reposition it due to the scarring so it became a bigger deal). The plication does seem to cause more cramping after the procedure and I suspect that is the cause of my still swollen tummy or maybe it is the liver biopsy don't know. On the bright site from what I am reading the phenomenon of bandster hell (that period when you are still too loose for the band to work) doesn't happen. I am almost a week out now; and I'm fine on Protein Shakes and Soup but that could be due to swelling as well.

It seems interesting but would I do it right now if I were putting a new lap band in? not sure its highly experimental. I've got two additional incision as they were able to do SILS w/ me the first time but this time they had to make the two incisions (not sure what drove that - was it due to revisions being more complex or the plication). just giving you as much info but I'm curious to hear what your doc is saying.

Did you get this done yet or are you waiting to do this? I have an appointment at Duke the end of this month to schedule my surgery and Dr Yoo suggests this surgery. I will post more info I find out after the appointment.

Theresa

day 7 was a big turning point for me as far as pain, spasms, cramps, gas and all. then i had a set back around day 10 or so. then day 14 was another turning point where i started feeling even better. on April 11 i started my menstrual cycle and then i felt bad again... felt like my insides were coming out. after about 24 hours of that, i felt better again. now i'm on soft foods and i feel much better. so i've had ups and downs... but day 7 was my biggest day of pain lessening and me feeling better.

Theresa I just had it done on April 9. I already had a lap band in 09 and lost a max of 72 lbs; this had to get revised due to a suspected hiatal hernia. To be honest the biggest focus of the conversation w/ my surgeon preop was whether to do the revision or not at all as I had already lost 60 lbs; with 30 lbs more to go. I stalled out last year because of this issue that needed correcting. We spent an hour discussing that and literally once I decided after being given the two options, she said she would also put two pleats in my stomach and showed me on the model in the office. She didn't really ask me if I wanted it, and I left it to her as well. But a revision is a different story than putting a new band in because you are already dealing with something that failed to work, so in a way there is a need to get more aggressive too if you want success. She was clear that this was in experimental stages but she spent more time discussing risks to a liver biopsy than the plication; and felt confident that the plication was a brilliant solution. My decision was whether to proceed w/ surgery; once that decision was made my surgeon took the best option to ensure success the second time around given my particular situation.

I also had a liver biopsy and the replacement of a band is worse than putting a brand new one in but I felt 40 times worse this time than my first surgery. I am told its because of the adhesions and scar tissue they need to remove, when putting in a replacement band (and they couldn't reposition it due to the scarring so it became a bigger deal). The plication does seem to cause more cramping after the procedure and I suspect that is the cause of my still swollen tummy or maybe it is the liver biopsy don't know. On the bright site from what I am reading the phenomenon of bandster hell (that period when you are still too loose for the band to work) doesn't happen. I am almost a week out now; and I'm fine on Protein shakes and Soup but that could be due to swelling as well.

It seems interesting but would I do it right now if I were putting a new lap band in? not sure its highly experimental. I've got two additional incision as they were able to do SILS w/ me the first time but this time they had to make the two incisions (not sure what drove that - was it due to revisions being more complex or the plication). just giving you as much info but I'm curious to hear what your doc is saying.

My appointment is April 28th and I will give you the skinny on what he says. At the seminar he said they stitch the stomach and shape it like the sleeve and then the band goes in the usual place. He said the stomach is swollen for about a week and that was it. I will post when I find out more.

T

Hello All,

I was banded on 3-24 in Durham, NC by Dr. Portenier. Prior to surgery he told me about Gastric Plication and told me that I could have that done at the same time as the band. I opted to do it. Kinda like 2 WLS in one. Just wondering if anyone else did this?? If so what your experiences thus far have been?

I felt absolutely awful the first week after surgery. A lot of gas on my chest, shoulder pain, nauseous constantly and many, many esophageal spasms. The 7th day was much better and I have felt more normal. I'm not doing so great at sticking to the all liquid diet for 3 weeks. I have had some mushy Proteins. Like cottage cheese and refried Beans.

I'm still not taking in a lot of calories a day.... still staying hydrated like I'm supposed to, but the scales just aren't moving down. They did the first 5 days. But nothing after that.

I appreciate this forum and I love hearing the success stories!

Gingy

Hi Gingy, I am new in this forum and I just need some advise. I was reading about all kind of surgeries but I am most interested in lapband or plication surgury. I have Dr appt to disscuss about lapband and semminar on April 20th, I am vey nervious but at the same time very excited to have this done. I was reading about gastric plication surgery and I found it is very interesting I am just scared for the pain... I will see Dr Peter Henderson in Raleigh NC. I would love to know is someone in this forum had surgery with him, I don't know nobody who had these kind of surgeries in NC. Please give me some advise, I will really apprecite it. Thanks for all your support and help.

Hi Gingy,

You are not alone; I also had both procedures done, gastric band and gastric plication.

I am glad to find you; my surgery was on 20 April, one month after yours and it will be great to share our experiences.

The first week I had that strange sholder pain and a lot of gases. I couldn't eat that much, only liquids like tea, Water, fresh clean juice and activia.

The second week I started with mashed potatos, blended vegetables Soup and youghurt.

The third week I started eating fish, chicken, eggs; jelly; vegetables Soup but the veggies cut in small pieces.

Today I just finished 4 weeks and during this fourth week I introduced red meat, Pasta, rice and non cooked vegetables to my diet.

According to my doctor I can eat everything from now on but the good choices are on my hand and I should be always in contact with his team of nutricionists.

I don't feel hungry all the time as I used to feel before the surgery and now I eat a little and feel full quickly.

This friday (20 may) I complete 1 month, first week I lost 4,20 kg; second week 300 grams; third week more 900 grams and this last week I lost NOTHING, I felt sad when I saw the scale this morning.

I had my operation done in Jordan but I live in Dubai, next week I have appointment, not with the doctor who make it and I am hoping the doctor here will give me all the support that I need. Perhaps it will be time to make my first adjustment of the ring. Anyway, let's see what the doctor will say. So far, I AM HAPPY.

Did you have you band adjusted alrealdy? Now you finished almost 2 months; can I ask you how many kilos did you loose?

Thanks,

Khadija

I'm doing a lot better now. Day 7 was the turn around day for me.... where I started feeling better. Don't do anything you're not comfortable with. After I read about plication, I felt for sure about having it done. Now I feel all alone though. There are many with the band... and a lot have gone down to Mexico to have the plication... but I have yet to find anybody who have BOTH lap band with gastric plication. So I feel lonely :( It would be nice to have another to talk to who knows what I'm going through.

Good luck to you! Message me anytime!

Gingy

Hello All,

I was banded on 3-24 in Durham, NC by Dr. Portenier. Prior to surgery he told me about Gastric Plication and told me that I could have that done at the same time as the band. I opted to do it. Kinda like 2 WLS in one. Just wondering if anyone else did this?? If so what your experiences thus far have been?

I felt absolutely awful the first week after surgery. A lot of gas on my chest, shoulder pain, nauseous constantly and many, many esophageal spasms. The 7th day was much better and I have felt more normal. I'm not doing so great at sticking to the all liquid diet for 3 weeks. I have had some mushy Proteins. Like cottage cheese and refried Beans.

I'm still not taking in a lot of calories a day.... still staying hydrated like I'm supposed to, but the scales just aren't moving down. They did the first 5 days. But nothing after that.

Gingy

Hello there not to butt in on your conversation,but i have to ask what is plication?I am getting banded the end of June and this is the first I have eve heard of this~Thanks!

Hi Gingy,

You are not alone; I also had both procedures done, gastric band and gastric plication.

I am glad to find you; my surgery was on 20 April, one month after yours and it will be great to share our experiences.

The first week I had that strange sholder pain and a lot of gases. I couldn't eat that much, only liquids like tea, Water, fresh clean juice and activia.

The second week I started with mashed potatos, blended vegetables Soup and youghurt.

The third week I started eating fish, chicken, eggs; jelly; vegetables soup but the veggies cut in small pieces.

Today I just finished 4 weeks and during this fourth week I introduced red meat, Pasta, rice and non cooked vegetables to my diet.

According to my doctor I can eat everything from now on but the good choices are on my hand and I should be always in contact with his team of nutricionists.

I don't feel hungry all the time as I used to feel before the surgery and now I eat a little and feel full quickly.

This friday (20 may) I complete 1 month, first week I lost 4,20 kg; second week 300 grams; third week more 900 grams and this last week I lost NOTHING, I felt sad when I saw the scale this morning.

I had my operation done in Jordan but I live in Dubai, next week I have appointment, not with the doctor who make it and I am hoping the doctor here will give me all the support that I need. Perhaps it will be time to make my first adjustment of the ring. Anyway, let's see what the doctor will say. So far, I AM HAPPY.

Did you have you band adjusted alrealdy? Now you finished almost 2 months; can I ask you how many kilos did you loose?

Thanks,

Khadija

Hello,

I am going to have lap band and plication in 4 days, May 25, in Raleigh NC. I'm scared, but I weigh over 300 lbs and it seems like the only answer. I am so interested in you that had both like I will - the good and the bad. I live alone with my 2 dogs, so I know it won't be easy, I'll have friends come in the first few days. I am very interested in hearing what to expect, though I know everyone is different. Thanks,

Jasann

So sorry I have not been responding.... please forgive me. I haven't been checking this site as much as I used to.

I'll try to answer your questions...

I have had my first fill. I now have 4cc's in my band. Even though I was feeling restriction prior to getting a fill, my doctor wants me to keep getting fills so that I learn to use the band and rely on the band for chewing, chewing, chewing and eating slowly. I was not doing this at first. I quickly learned that I could eat at a normal rate and get full fast because of the plication. It kept me feeling full after about a cup of food. But now that I have Fluid in my band, I have to chew a lot, eat slowly and use the band or I get stuck.

The reasoning behind learning to use my band is because we don't know the long term effects of the plication. My doctor's guess is that over time the plication will come undone (the sutures will come out).... and if I don't know how to rely on my band, then things will go bad for me.

It's hard to explain what gastric plication is... but my best explanation is... they take the excess part of your stomach and fold it over onto itself and then suture it. Then you have a long, small, narrow stomach under the lap band. Google "gastric plication" for more info and videos of the surgery. That's what I did to understand it better :)

My first month I lost 14 lbs. Then I stalled. The scales stopped moving... I was really depressed about that. So I started reading on here to gain info on what the "old timers" did to lose weight. I found that the best weight loss and quickest came from the ones doing low carb, high Protein diets. When I started that, my scales started moving down everyday!!! I eat all the meat and green veggies I want. I stir fry fresh veggies almost daily and cook some type of meat to have to eat on whenever I'm hungry. I get hungry about every 3 hours. Keep your carbs under 30g a day and your Protein 80g or higher a day. The fat and calories don't matter. I don't count those at all. I'm not saying you shouldn't.... just saying I've found a way of eating that works for me and I no longer have to worry about fat and calories.... because I'm keeping my carbs down and my protein up.

I wish you all luck and I hope this helps! I'll keep better watch on this topic now... so ask any questions you need to.

Gingy

Hello All,

Gingy

Plication has been around for decades (think stomach stapling). The difference is that instead of staples, there are a couple of rows of non-soluble stitches/sutures instead of staples. The newness is the combination of plication and banding. With the band, they are already doing a form of plication when they surgeon pulls/folds part of the greater curve of the stomach up over the band and sutures to keep the band in place. In the band with plication, they go another step and fold the remainder of the outer curve of the stomach in and suture. The end result is similar to a vertical gastric sleeve (without removing part of the stomach). The weight loss results are coming back to be higher than lapband alone, and more along the results of vertical sleeves (a higher % lost at a faster rate) than the band alone.

Unlike the other surgeries, it is (somewhat) reversible in that the band can be removed and the sutures can be removed so that the stomach regains it's original size/shape.

Every surgery has risks, but so does being overweight. In my case, the benefits outweigh the risks so I'm having it done next week.

Janet

day 7 was a big turning point for me as far as pain, spasms, cramps, gas and all. then i had a set back around day 10 or so. then day 14 was another turning point where i started feeling even better. on April 11 i started my menstrual cycle and then i felt bad again... felt like my insides were coming out. after about 24 hours of that, i felt better again. now i'm on soft foods and i feel much better. so i've had ups and downs... but day 7 was my biggest day of pain lessening and me feeling better.

So sorry I have not been responding.... please forgive me. I haven't been checking this site as much as I used to.

I'll try to answer your questions...

I have had my first fill. I now have 4cc's in my band. Even though I was feeling restriction prior to getting a fill, my doctor wants me to keep getting fills so that I learn to use the band and rely on the band for chewing, chewing, chewing and eating slowly. I was not doing this at first. I quickly learned that I could eat at a normal rate and get full fast because of the plication. It kept me feeling full after about a cup of food. But now that I have Fluid in my band, I have to chew a lot, eat slowly and use the band or I get stuck.

The reasoning behind learning to use my band is because we don't know the long term effects of the plication. My doctor's guess is that over time the plication will come undone (the sutures will come out).... and if I don't know how to rely on my band, then things will go bad for me.

It's hard to explain what gastric plication is... but my best explanation is... they take the excess part of your stomach and fold it over onto itself and then suture it. Then you have a long, small, narrow stomach under the lap band. Google "gastric plication" for more info and videos of the surgery. That's what I did to understand it better :)

My first month I lost 14 lbs. Then I stalled. The scales stopped moving... I was really depressed about that. So I started reading on here to gain info on what the "old timers" did to lose weight. I found that the best weight loss and quickest came from the ones doing low carb, high Protein diets. When I started that, my scales started moving down everyday!!! I eat all the meat and green veggies I want. I stir fry fresh veggies almost daily and cook some type of meat to have to eat on whenever I'm hungry. I get hungry about every 3 hours. Keep your carbs under 30g a day and your Protein 80g or higher a day. The fat and calories don't matter. I don't count those at all. I'm not saying you shouldn't.... just saying I've found a way of eating that works for me and I no longer have to worry about fat and calories.... because I'm keeping my carbs down and my protein up.

I wish you all luck and I hope this helps! I'll keep better watch on this topic now... so ask any questions you need to.

Gingy

Gingy and others out there who have had the Banded Gastric Plication. I am having it done on 7/7 and am so looking forward to moving on with this thing. My Doctor introduced this option to myself and 5 other syesterday. He said he has seen wonderful results with little or no difference regarding recovery. I have lost 12 pounds in my pre-surgery diet (2 weeks). Starting today NO CARBS but all the steak my heart desires. My doctor is big on the high protein-low carb diet - he is 100% on that bandwagon (he has a band himself). I would love to hear how all of you are doing and how your weight loss has been. I would also like to hear how you are feeling now and if you would do it again. The doctor said I can change my mind on the Plication all the way up to falling asleep. Right now I have not heard anything that is making me back down. I have 100 pounds still to loose and this sounds like the best option for me. B) Please post and let me hear from you. I do feel alone on some of this as it is so new.