Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am sure some of you can relate to this:

I was talking to a friend today about being banded tomorrow (YEAH!) and how exciting it was. Her reply, "I know someone else who was banded and they gained all the weight back plus some. Good luck!"

GRRRRR!!! Talk about raining on my parade! Of course I didn't listen but still.....

I was talking to a friend today about being banded tomorrow (YEAH!) and how exciting it was. Her reply, "I know someone else who was banded and they gained all the weight back plus some. Good luck!"

GRRRRR!!! Talk about raining on my parade! Of course I didn't listen but still.....

My response to these people..."Yeah and I'll bet you know someone who's been in a car accident, but you still get in your car everyday, yes?"

Don't let them get to you. Do your research...ask your questions...and then make the decision based on what *you* want. Everyone else will just have to deal with it in their own way. :)

Good Luck tomorrow !!

First let me say congrats on being banded tomorrow! I am soooo jealous! LOL! Your friend is probably just jealous(for real). We all make life choices and this is ours, so dont give her another thought! Best wishes on your surgery tomorrow!

Jeebus, did she really phrase it like that? That doesn't sound like a concerned friend.

Jeebus, did she really phrase it like that? That doesn't sound like a concerned friend.

Yep! She said it just like that. Oh well! Some people are never happy! I am just happy to be starting my new life....27 lbs. down and about a hundred more to go! Yipee! For once in my life I feel I can do it!

Lovely. :rolleyes:

Try to think of a really snarky thing to say back to her, should she say something like that again. For me.

I am dealing with the same thing, with one certain friend. It's really annoying when people have to make negative comments, especially the day before your surgery. I am getting banded tomorrow as well and my friend already had to make annoying comments to me tonight as well. I joined Weight Watchers with this friend in Jan and at the time I was considering Lap Band but had yet to make a decision on going to the seminar or not. Her mom was banded and also had gastric bypass and gained all her weight back. She has reminded me of this several times. She also decided to tell me how scary hospitals are and how she would never be able to go through elective surgery. She also LOVES to text me every Thursday when she weighs in giving me an update(which is fine if she didn't constantly talk down about my choice to get banded calling it the easy way out!). It's funny how I've lost almost 15lbs in two weeks and she wanted to make sure I knew that it's only Water weight and it's not inches. She talks down to me religiously and honestly...I'm at a point where I don't want anything to do with her anymore. I used to think she was a really nice girl, but I don't see how someone who is supposed to be your friend can be so insensitive sometimes. She also ALWAYS has to give me her opinion on my marriage, which drives me nuts. My husband is a C.P.A. and it's tax season, so I decided to stay at my mom's since she is retired and wants to be my "nurse". lol. I don't think there is anything wrong with that as my husband is crazy busy and I chose to have my surgery during his busy time of year. He is making sure to leave work early and visit me right after I'm done with surgery. My friend thinks this is ridiculous and that he should be sleeping at my mom's on the couch so he can be with me. Honestly, the couch is anything but comfortable and he has a very busy week as it's almost to the 15th. I would feel guilty asking him to stay....even though I know he would. I know I shouldn't get so bent out of shape over her comments, but I've been extremely emotional since I've been on my pre-op diet and it's also my TOM. So I've been snapping back at her because I can't take it anymore. I need love and support at this time, not a friend like her. Thank goodness I've got friends who are genuinely happy for me! Good luck tomorrow, and don't worry about your friend so much...I'm in the same boat and I'm TRYING to avoid the drama and focus on all the positive things coming my way!

PamR - I'm sorry your friends with my mom, lol. Yes, you definitely don't need friends that bring you down like that. <3

Use these friends as motivation and prove them all wrong. :)

I am dealing with the same thing, with one certain friend. It's really annoying when people have to make negative comments, especially the day before your surgery. I am getting banded tomorrow as well and my friend already had to make annoying comments to me tonight as well. I joined Weight Watchers with this friend in Jan and at the time I was considering Lap Band but had yet to make a decision on going to the seminar or not. Her mom was banded and also had gastric bypass and gained all her weight back. She has reminded me of this several times. She also decided to tell me how scary hospitals are and how she would never be able to go through elective surgery. She also LOVES to text me every Thursday when she weighs in giving me an update(which is fine if she didn't constantly talk down about my choice to get banded calling it the easy way out!). It's funny how I've lost almost 15lbs in two weeks and she wanted to make sure I knew that it's only Water weight and it's not inches. She talks down to me religiously and honestly...I'm at a point where I don't want anything to do with her anymore. I used to think she was a really nice girl, but I don't see how someone who is supposed to be your friend can be so insensitive sometimes. She also ALWAYS has to give me her opinion on my marriage, which drives me nuts. My husband is a C.P.A. and it's tax season, so I decided to stay at my mom's since she is retired and wants to be my "nurse". lol. I don't think there is anything wrong with that as my husband is crazy busy and I chose to have my surgery during his busy time of year. He is making sure to leave work early and visit me right after I'm done with surgery. My friend thinks this is ridiculous and that he should be sleeping at my mom's on the couch so he can be with me. Honestly, the couch is anything but comfortable and he has a very busy week as it's almost to the 15th. I would feel guilty asking him to stay....even though I know he would. I know I shouldn't get so bent out of shape over her comments, but I've been extremely emotional since I've been on my pre-op diet and it's also my TOM. So I've been snapping back at her because I can't take it anymore. I need love and support at this time, not a friend like her. Thank goodness I've got friends who are genuinely happy for me! Good luck tomorrow, and don't worry about your friend so much...I'm in the same boat and I'm TRYING to avoid the drama and focus on all the positive things coming my way!

My husband is taking me to and from the surgery but tomorrow night he has a big meeting he has to speak at. I did not ask him to reschedule because I think that would be ridiculous. My mom is coming to stay with me tomorrow evening. I know exactly what you are thinking. There is not a thing he could do for you that your mom can not take care of you. And, if we are really being honest, most (notice I said most NOT all) women are better caregivers. Have a great day tomorrow! I can't wait to start our new lives!

You can find nay-sayers about anything and everything. My hubby is in the army and currently deployed, and I cant tell you how many people acutally ask me "aren't you afraid he is going to be killed?" Well geez....I am now, thanks! Everyone is different, thats what makes us all beautiful, because we are original works of art! I agree with Spot, that you should use these friends as your motivation, and prove them wrong. Weight Watchers is an excellent program, and has worked for thousands of people, but no matter how much they say its a "life style change" its still a diet, and all diets have room for failure. In my opinion, the Lap Band is like those shoes that are supposed to shape up your butt, they dont do the work for you, they do it with you. They only work if you wear them and actually go for a walk. Or like a work out video, it only works it you turn it on and use it. Its a tool, to make the journey easier, not to magically zap the fat away. I think thats where a lot of people are confused, and if you have never studied the Lap Band, you wouldnt understand. Im so happy that you got banded, and am excited for your journey. Im here too (in TX time if you need to IM or talk) Good luck!! :D

Sounds like jealousy to me. Good luck with everything!!! You're going to do GREAT!

i had a guy i knew from back in elem school tell me on Facebook that i shouldnt do this i need to loose it on my own and it just takes dedication and i just need to get a trainer(he "knows and awesome one" ) dont take the easy way out. after 9 years of trying to loose weight and 285lbs at 5'5 i think its time to take alittle more of a drastic step... let me tell you the good part this gentleman is a body builder!! someone who it obviously comes easier to telling me i dont need surgery. i was super mad!!

dont let dumb people get in the way of your happiness and being healthy!

pamR: as long as your mom is there and happy to help you then thats all that matters! im sure if you asked your husband he would help you but like you said he has work, its not like your going into open heart surgery.

good luck to all of you and stay positive :)

i had a guy i knew from back in elem school tell me on Facebook that i shouldnt do this i need to loose it on my own and it just takes dedication and i just need to get a trainer(he "knows and awesome one" ) dont take the easy way out. after 9 years of trying to loose weight and 285lbs at 5'5 i think its time to take alittle more of a drastic step... let me tell you the good part this gentleman is a body builder!! someone who it obviously comes easier to telling me i dont need surgery. i was super mad!!

dont let dumb people get in the way of your happiness and being healthy!

pamR: as long as your mom is there and happy to help you then thats all that matters! im sure if you asked your husband he would help you but like you said he has work, its not like your going into open heart surgery.

good luck to all of you and stay positive :)

You are one brave soul! You posted on facebook that you are having this surgery? WOW! I would never put it someplace that public. Why? Because I would wind up in jail for mutilating someone that said something stupid to me (like your friend from elem school). How on earth would he know how "easy" weight loss surgery is???? People, gotta love them ... cuz if we don't ... we'd KILL THEM! LOLLLL :lol:

I don't regret for one minute getting my band and to all who think it's the easy route or that I'm crazy for putting something foreign in my body (my SIL said something like that), I say "talk to the hand, cuz I ain't listening". My body, my life ... I'm going to live it MY way. And I promise not to try to live anyone else's life ... well as much as I can, I have kids 20 and 22 ... yeah I still try to tell them what to do ... to no avail ... LOL But what can you do. Sorry, I digress.

All the best to you on your journey. It's your life ... LIVE IT!

~F