Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so conflicted and disappointed right now. I went to see my primary care doc today to discuss lap band. Things were going to great until he wanted to refer me to a surgeon. I had already picked out a surgeon based on 2 friends that have already been banded by this surgeon. They absolutely love him. So I tell my do who it is that I am planning to see. The conversation went completely down hill from there. He does not recommend my surgeon at all, he was very adamant about it, he said that he would feel very uncomfortable with me seeing this surgeon, he said he could not go into details but he has heard many horror stories about this surgeon.:( WTF? This surgeon is well known and is a contributor to Fox5 News, Atlanta’s HOUSECALL.

I don't believe my doc would steer me wrong, but damn. I really wanted to see this guy. Do you know where I would go to get information on the surgeon? I have googled and only found 1 bad complaint. Not very much information out there.

I don't believe my doc would steer me wrong, but damn. I really wanted to see this guy. Do you know where I would go to get information on the surgeon? I have googled and only found 1 bad complaint. Not very much information out there.

I would ask your doctor to give you specifics or point you in the direction where you can find specifics. If he won't do that, then I'd be tempted to disregard his 'opinion' and tell him you want the referral anyway (assuming you need him to refer). Our doctors are only human with all the same emotions we have and it be just that he and this guy had a bad falling out somewhere. If his is the only dissenting opinion and you're getting glowing reports from others who've actually used the band surgeon, I'd go with that.

I would research also but I would tend to lean towards a professionals opinions and not friends. He could be on to something and it might be the right thing. If you know anyone in the medical field then ask them if they know the doctor.

may be a possibility that your doctor gets a referral fee so he would lose that if you go to somebody else, just a suggestion - no ill intent intended

I agree, you should ask your doctor for specifics, or to explain why he has such a negative attitude about such a well-respected surgeon. You deserve to make your own informed decisions.

I work at a hospital, and was speaking to an Emergency Room doctor awhile back. He complimented me on my slimmer appearance, and asked how I'd lost all this weight. I told him I'd had lap band surgery. He got that, "Aaah, yes!" I-know-everything expression, and said, "That's the surgery where you pinch off your digestive tract and starve yourself thin, isn't it?" I thought he was joking, but he wasn't. He was totally serious. I said it was a lot more than that, and nothing so extreme, and that I'd bet him I am eating healthier than he is. But as I walked away, I couldn't believe how judgmental he was about something he knew so little about. Glad he's not my regular doctor!

Dave

i woud ask my dr. for more info,do research.if i can't find any negative findings i would cont the bbb and medical board on both my primary and the surgeon

I am so conflicted and disappointed right now. I went to see my primary care doc today to discuss lap band. Things were going to great until he wanted to refer me to a surgeon. I had already picked out a surgeon based on 2 friends that have already been banded by this surgeon. They absolutely love him. So I tell my do who it is that I am planning to see. The conversation went completely down hill from there. He does not recommend my surgeon at all, he was very adamant about it, he said that he would feel very uncomfortable with me seeing this surgeon, he said he could not go into details but he has heard many horror stories about this surgeon.:( WTF? This surgeon is well known and is a contributor to Fox5 News, Atlanta's HOUSECALL.

hello, hope you were able to resolve this sticky uncomfortable situation.

My PCP wanted me to go to his referal but I did research and wanted to go to the one I chose and I insisted. He asked me how I found her and why Dr Vernon. I did alot of research on alot of Sergeon's before I chose her, including the one my Dr recommended. I went to the Hospital sight and researched her history there, She is a teaching Dr for Harvard Med School, has done many many LB surgeries over the years and I got to see her preform one live on the hospital live web casts. She does her surgeries out of 2 Boston hospitals.

Go to some support groups for banded or want to be banded at the Hospital this Dr. does his surgeries at and ask questions of anyone that has had that Dr. Also do the same for the Dr your Dr is recommending

get as much feedback as you can on both Dr's, you may change your mind and find one on your own. Also see what your Insurance Co requires, I had to have a certian accredidation hospital and Dr. This is your life and body and you have the right to choose your Dr. Post the Dr's name on here in another post and see if anyone has had him, it couldn't hurt!

Good Luck in finding a great Dr.

Hey there,

Before having any surgery, it's important to do your research. I found my orthoepedic surgeon online, and chose him based on all of the great reviews by previous patients of his and by meeting with him to discuss my procedure. On the other hand, I also understood that my experience would not necessarily be the same as the experience of the patients posting reviews.

As far as your physician's recommendation; it is just that, a recommendation. My PCP has referred me to numerous physicians but, ultimately, I choose who I want to care for me- You can do the same, responsibly, of course.

Lastly, I see that you referred to Atlanta,which is where I am. There is a Lap-Band seminar on May 14th that I have registered for online through the Lap Band website. The site also has a list of surgeons that are certified through LB to perform the procedure. I have already found two potential surgeons (one a reference from a classmate (T. Duncan;).

Check out the site and let's see what type of information we get from the seminar. I'm sure it will be informative. We can be buddies.

Good Luck.

I am so conflicted and disappointed right now. I went to see my primary care doc today to discuss lap band. Things were going to great until he wanted to refer me to a surgeon. I had already picked out a surgeon based on 2 friends that have already been banded by this surgeon. They absolutely love him. So I tell my do who it is that I am planning to see. The conversation went completely down hill from there. He does not recommend my surgeon at all, he was very adamant about it, he said that he would feel very uncomfortable with me seeing this surgeon, he said he could not go into details but he has heard many horror stories about this surgeon.:( WTF? This surgeon is well known and is a contributor to Fox5 News, Atlanta's HOUSECALL.

How much weight do you need to lose? My Husband was 379 before he had the Lap Band. He lost 150. but then needed to have the band removed due to a slip. Maybe your Doc knows something about this other doc that you don't ? Please be careful. Take you time and find out everything that you can before you make the commitment. Also I do have the band. I lost about 65 but now it's all back.. ? so there again it would be wise to research this new doc that your doc suggested that you try.. I'm just sayin.. L :huh:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------