Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded about 7 mos ago in Aug of 2010 and have lost 37lbs so far but I am far from happy about it...

Sure the 37 lbs lost is wonderful and I would never have lost it with out the band but at what cost. I can no longer eat solid foods and if I try I get stuck and vomit at least 2-4 times a day if I even attempt to eat.

I am hungry almost every 1-2 hours because all I can eat is Soup or very mushy foods.

I'm sure I need a slight unfill but at this point cant take the time off of work to go to Mexico to get the unfill and dont have the extra money to pay for it so I must suffer through this.

If I had known that I would be living like this I dont know if I would have gotten the band I mean I'm either too tight or have ZERO restriction, I can either eat like a pig or eat next to nothing.

I have fallen into a depression about this and am only trying to find an outlet to vent and get positive feed back, so if your gonna bash me for my feelings please refrain from doing so I need positive comments at this point in my journey since I feel I cant talk to my husband about this because all I'll hear from him is what a waste of money this has been and still is because all I do is vomit food and that in it's self is a waste.

Thanks for the time and all the help :mellow:

Dang, no wonder you're unhappy. Is there no one locally that would be willing to do an unfill? ER maybe?

I can't really do anything but offer you cyberhugs and hopes that things will improve for you.

No one can loan you money? There is no local doctor that can help you? Find a way to save up. Eating Soups isn't healthy for your body; forget the weight-loss part. There's no way you're getting nutrients in with just Soup. If you can't find a doctor to give you an unfill, maybe go to the ER as recommended above and get a complete unfill.

I still remember you mentioning you have the 4cc band and from what I've read that band is no longer used, except in Mexico. Maybe that is part of the reason why you're struggling as it's not you it's the band itself.

I'd try to get an unfill ASAP. Keep your head up but don't let yourself suffer any more. Good luck!

It sounds like you might need to ride it out for a bit until you can go back to the doc. If you can get to the point where you are not throwing up, you may not even need the unfill. With the throwing up so often, I would bet there is some swelling going on. If you can eat Soup and mushies, at least it's not an emergency. After my 2nd fill I was very tight for over 2 weeks, maybe 3. From day one I have been very sensitive to very heavy, solid, or dense foods. The majority of my journey has been on mushy type foods. After you stop throwing up and get the swelling to go down, you might be at a livable restriction level. You might have to change the variety of foods you have been eating. Try only cold things for a day or 2 to help with the swelling. Make a smoothie in the blender with lots of ice and don't forget the Protein powder. Progress to other mushy things after you stop the throwing up, like oatmeal. I got to the point where I could add things to the Soups to make them a bit more hearty, like canned chicken. Chili is a great way to get Protein in when you are tight. If you can get the swelling down and go for several days without throwing up, I think things will be much better for you. At this point, where you are hovering around the green zone, restriction becomes a personal choice. Some bandsters insist on being able to eat anything. In most cases those people will like a band that is a bit looser. I don't mind giving up a few types of food, so I go with a bit tighter restriction.

I hope things improve for you no matter what you do with it.

Zen,

The only suggestion I can offer (and you may have already done this), is to go complete Protein shakes for several days. The Protein helps keep you from getting hungry and the liquids will help if there's any swelling around the bad due to stuck episodes. I found that even a couple episodes in a day and I'd be swollen for several days.

When you try to go back to solids, drink something hot right before you eat. I found that helped tremendously. Then take teeny tiny bites and chew really well.

I've heard from a number of people that the 4cc bands can be a real pain because even the tiniest fill can take you from not enough to too much. I hope you can get this resolved soon.

I would definitely try to find a local lap-band doctor, and get a small un-fill. Generally, they bill you, and with all medical bills, you can always just send $5.00/month until it's paid off (generally, if you send them something every month, they won't send you to collections)

I had to get a small un-fill 1-1/2 weeks ago, so I can totally understand where you are right now! I totally agree with Melody, get yourself some Atkins Protein shakes, make them good and cold, and drink those until you can get that un-fill! Don't be miserable if you don't have to be!

Hello Beautiful.

I've been banded for almost two years now. May 2009. I was banded here in the states so I am not sure how it works in Mexico, but I thought there were plenty of places here to get fills and unfills. Matter of fact...fill centers. Why would you have to go to Mexico for that? Call a coupe of local doctors or do a little research on where you can go. You can't be uncomfortable like this, and it could do more harm in the long run. Where are you located?

Now if I am just saying something you already know, I'm sorry. I have not been on in a while but your post moved me and I wanted to let you know someone feels you.

I was banded about 7 mos ago in Aug of 2010 and have lost 37lbs so far but I am far from happy about it...

Sure the 37 lbs lost is wonderful and I would never have lost it with out the band but at what cost. I can no longer eat solid foods and if I try I get stuck and vomit at least 2-4 times a day if I even attempt to eat.

I am hungry almost every 1-2 hours because all I can eat is Soup or very mushy foods.

I'm sure I need a slight unfill but at this point cant take the time off of work to go to Mexico to get the unfill and dont have the extra money to pay for it so I must suffer through this.

If I had known that I would be living like this I dont know if I would have gotten the band I mean I'm either too tight or have ZERO restriction, I can either eat like a pig or eat next to nothing.

I have fallen into a depression about this and am only trying to find an outlet to vent and get positive feed back, so if your gonna bash me for my feelings please refrain from doing so I need positive comments at this point in my journey since I feel I cant talk to my husband about this because all I'll hear from him is what a waste of money this has been and still is because all I do is vomit food and that in it's self is a waste.

Thanks for the time and all the help :mellow:

Hi all thanks for the replies...

I have checked into fill centers here in the US but they cost $325 for the first consultation and $75 for a fill or unfill so all in all it is more expensive to get an fill or un fill here in the US then it is going to Mexico so it looks like the next time they have their fill schedule open I will be going granted I have an extra $100 plus gas to spend so I can feel comfertable again...

I was having similar symptoms for the last 3 weeks... my surgeon took me in and did a fluroscopy and found the band to be fine... Thank God I didnt need a fill or unfill but we think we have isolated my issues to anxiety and stress. It was almost any time I ate solid foods.. For 3 weeks I been living off Protein shakes and greek yogurt.. then all of a sudden it stopped... I am slowly trying to advance now and for the last week, good so far... eggs are my friends...

Do you have acid reflux? I noticed when my reflux is acting up my band is extra tight and very uncomfortable. I would do a day or two of just liquids like someone else said to reduce the swelling.

Do you have acid reflux? I noticed when my reflux is acting up my band is extra tight and very uncomfortable. I would do a day or two of just liquids like someone else said to reduce the swelling.

Not that I am aware of.. It came a week post fill and ended the week before he did the fluroscopy.. I love this band but it is very fickle..

remember to stay hydrated! & try different foods & eat very slow. I eat with a baby spoon & set it down for a minute. & then start 'the chewing process all over again. I hardly felt any restriction until my last fill which was last Tuesday, I thought it was too much too. But they say to drink liquids for seven days after your fill because naturally your stomach will swell because of the fill. you have to be patient, & slow. I can't really eat out with people because it's a process to eat. someone also mentioned cold things, help with swelling & burn more calories. I went through a program in Texas called 'true results' they gave lots of tips. for instance if your laying down try & lay down on your left side because it promotes gastric emptying. I started a 315 & weigh 261. & was banded in Oct 2010. so it's def been a struggle to stay motivated. & don't forget to look at the fact that you've done the hardest part already!!

I plan on going to get an unfill in about a week I hope....

Wish me luck that this aleves my discomfort but weight loss still continues...:mellow: