Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded in Boise

Hey all! I've seen a few posts lately about Dr. A or Dr. V. I don't know of Dr. V, so I can only speak from my experience with Dr. A :)

I was banded by him 11/18/10.

He has a lot of requirements, but honestly if you are willing to have these appointments and lose 10% (I lost most of that, he didn't keep me to the full 10%) you are at a place in your life that it is all worth it.

These are things I had to do:

1. Nutritionist
  2. Lose 10% (they give you a special diet to help with this, and the diet also is to prepare you for surgery by helping to shrink your liver)
  3. Psychiatric evaluation (making sure you are a good candidate mentally)
  4. EKG (I had taken PhenPhen in the past)
  5. sleep Study (was advised to ask for a "split" study, this meant that if they discovered in the night I did have signs of apnea they would come in and put me on a machine and monitor that, this way I didn't have to go back twice)
  6. Blood work (he has other things he likes to check beyond a usual bloodwork, a list was given at his seminar)
  7. Last papsmear
  8. Referal from my primary Dr.
  9. Mamagram (hadn't had one.. blah I don't like those...lol)
  10. 5yr weight history from my primary Dr. (not sure if that was his requirement as well as my insurance)

I have really good insurance, they didn't require me to do a 6 month anything. My requirements were: BMI 40+, Diabetis, over weight for last 5yrs.

I had done a lot of research and have a cousin that was 2yrs out from having her LB so by the time I went to his seminar, had all my tests, had everything faxed to him from my primary Dr. I was in surgery 2 months later.

He offers support group meetings at St. Al's every 4th Monday of every month. I have had 3 fills from him and he is an amazing person. I have asked him a ton of questions, things I have read here, things I need clarified etc. and he has never hesitated to answer them. He is a very knowledgable person and has done banding here in the Boise area for 5+ years I believe. I had never had surgery before and I wasn't nervous at all. My scars are not bad and I have been totally happy with my experience. Also, he see's me at my appointments, not an assistant or just his nurse.

Just thought I'd share, since I'd seen a few posts out there. Best of luck on your journey's. Would love to 'friend' up with you all around this area. Having a big support group has been really helpful as well. There are quite a few Idaho bandsters at another website called band2gether.net too.

Hi there. It looks like I was banded a year after you were by Dr Anderson. It wil be fun following your post! I was banded 11/22/11 --- I'm 15 days into this and I'm so hungry! My stomach growls, I dream of red meat... I hope I dont have to wait the full 6 weeks for the first fill. -- Paige

Hi there. It looks like I was banded a year after you were by Dr Anderson. It wil be fun following your post! I was banded 11/22/11 --- I'm 15 days into this and I'm so hungry! My stomach growls, I dream of red meat... I hope I dont have to wait the full 6 weeks for the first fill. -- Paige