Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting banded on April 26

Hi there, my 1st post so here goes. After several years of failed diets, Atkins, weight watchers, all the fad ones etc etc and in the meantime being on meds for high blood pressure and cholostrol and asthmatic on Salbutamol I thought enoughs enough. So ive taken the plunge and paid to be banded which will be on the 26th April with DR Chris De Bruyne. Anyone newbies out there or new post banders I would love to hear your story. Oh ye BTW im a 41 yeal old Male, from Wales, so go easy on me!!! LOL :lol:

Welcome and good luck on your new journey to be healthy!!! Let me know if you have any questions. I was banded on 03/07.:rolleyes:

Hi there, my 1st post so here goes. After several years of failed diets, Atkins, weight watchers, all the fad ones etc etc and in the meantime being on meds for high blood pressure and cholostrol and asthmatic on Salbutamol I thought enoughs enough. So ive taken the plunge and paid to be banded which will be on the 26th April with DR Chris De Bruyne. Anyone newbies out there or new post banders I would love to hear your story. Oh ye BTW im a 41 yeal old Male, from Wales, so go easy on me!!! LOL :lol:

Hi there! I now live in Florida but am originally from Wales! I got banded March 23rd here and so far so good. I'm not in pain, just get a little stiff. Have no hunger pangs yet but I am sure they are just around the corner. What I have found so far it is difficult to know if I am 'full' or not, except to say I do get some pretty heavy burping going on if I drink too fast. Good luck!!!!

Hi there! I now live in Florida but am originally from Wales! I got banded March 23rd here and so far so good. I'm not in pain, just get a little stiff. Have no hunger pangs yet but I am sure they are just around the corner. What I have found so far it is difficult to know if I am 'full' or not, except to say I do get some pretty heavy burping going on if I drink too fast. Good luck!!!!

Nice. Thats something we would like to do is to move out there. What a life changing experience. Im sure Id like to pick ya brains once I have it done and hope you dont mind.

Thanks

Nigel.

No problem.... I've been here 12 years. Fortunately I have good insurance which paid for 85% of my procedure. Ask me any questions, I dont mind! Good luck in the meantime.

Stella

Nice. Thats something we would like to do is to move out there. What a life changing experience. Im sure Id like to pick ya brains once I have it done and hope you dont mind.

Thanks

Nigel.

All the best bigwelshguy, I was banded on 24/10/10 and from wales keep in touch x

All the best bigwelshguy, I was banded on 24/10/10 and from wales keep in touch x

Will do. I am 19st and wanna get to 14st. I was for years into weight training, doing 4-5 days a week religously and also playing Rugby. I was 15st and solid. Unfortinately after a bad ankle injury and subsequent bad operation, wife, kids etc etc came along, circumstances obviously change, for the good I might add, apart from my active life or lack of it and being used to huge portions of food and Protein rich foods and supplimants meant I soon ballooned up. First I was 17st before I knew it, Thats when I was diagnosed with Hypertention and also High Cholostrol (high Triglyserates) which is the bad type. lol, and then soon crept up to 19st which Ive been for the last 6 months. Im asthmatic too on Salbutamol, so Its pretty crap at the moment. Tried all sort of diets, Atkins, Wightwatchers, even took Thermogens (tried most) and slimex etc etc which work for a while then I go back to the weight I was. So I figured this is the only option left for me. I must say Im bricking it, not so much the op, but the fact that Im going over to Belgumn on my own leaving my wife and 4 year old girl at the Airport. Im sure all will be ok.

Im thinking about starting a diary but its all been done before, but if people want me to I will and document my travel, hospital, the doc and post op progress. Ill be starting a low fat diet next week and will up my Protein intake by drinking Suppliments plus some good dose of multi Vitamins just to speed up recovery. Im guessing "Dylan" you went to Newport for the stiches out and refills??? whats your experince with this place. Is it a surgery, hospital???

Anyway, will keep you all posted and Ill post up a "before pic" next week

bye for now.

I'm sure you will do great. I am 2 weeks out and now can finally say I'm feeling as 'well' as I did before the surgery. I get pretty hungry and did have a couple of teaspoons of tuna salad yesterday which helped. I know only too well about the diet path you have been down. I also loved to work out, and kept my weight steady for a few years until the gym I went to closed down overnight, and I kept eating the same amount with virtually no exercise. The rest is history. So far since surgery I've lost 20lbs, so I am happy. I go for my first fill (hopefully) May 5th. How long will you be in the hospital? Will all your follow up be in Wales, or will you have to go back to Belgium? Do you know many people who have had the band? I know no-one. Everyone here seems more interested inthe bypass.

Will do. I am 19st and wanna get to 14st. I was for years into weight training, doing 4-5 days a week religously and also playing Rugby. I was 15st and solid. Unfortinately after a bad ankle injury and subsequent bad operation, wife, kids etc etc came along, circumstances obviously change, for the good I might add, apart from my active life or lack of it and being used to huge portions of food and Protein rich foods and supplimants meant I soon ballooned up. First I was 17st before I knew it, Thats when I was diagnosed with Hypertention and also High Cholostrol (high Triglyserates) which is the bad type. lol, and then soon crept up to 19st which Ive been for the last 6 months. Im asthmatic too on Salbutamol, so Its pretty crap at the moment. Tried all sort of diets, Atkins, Wightwatchers, even took Thermogens (tried most) and slimex etc etc which work for a while then I go back to the weight I was. So I figured this is the only option left for me. I must say Im bricking it, not so much the op, but the fact that Im going over to Belgumn on my own leaving my wife and 4 year old girl at the Airport. Im sure all will be ok.

Im thinking about starting a diary but its all been done before, but if people want me to I will and document my travel, hospital, the doc and post op progress. Ill be starting a low fat diet next week and will up my Protein intake by drinking Suppliments plus some good dose of multi Vitamins just to speed up recovery. Im guessing "Dylan" you went to Newport for the stiches out and refills??? whats your experince with this place. Is it a surgery, hospital???

bye for now.

I'm sure you will do great. I am 2 weeks out and now can finally say I'm feeling as 'well' as I did before the surgery. I get pretty hungry and did have a couple of teaspoons of tuna salad yesterday which helped. I know only too well about the diet path you have been down. I also loved to work out, and kept my weight steady for a few years until the gym I went to closed down overnight, and I kept eating the same amount with virtually no exercise. The rest is history. So far since surgery I've lost 20lbs, so I am happy. I go for my first fill (hopefully) May 5th. How long will you be in the hospital? Will all your follow up be in Wales, or will you have to go back to Belgium? Do you know many people who have had the band? I know no-one. Everyone here seems more interested inthe bypass.

Hi Chick (sounds like a come-on lol)

I dont know of anyone personally who's had it done. Im alone on this one. Just reading various post on sites and cheapest options etc etc. The clinic in Belgumn under Dr Chris De Bruyne is well established and has had lots of great review plus its currently approx ~£3500, with refills done here on my doorstep for £75 a pop. So thats attractive initself. My biggest problem is Portion controll, I have no problem heating healthy but seem to need to eat all the time and I suppose Im in danger of going Diabetic If Im completely Honest with myself. Something I dont want my 4 yr old daughter to live, nor myself.

One thing I curuous about is is people are on liquids for say the 1st week, how do you prevent your self from getting really low with energy and lathargy. Whats the Carb Intake?? Let me Know your progress as you are the nearest bander date wise there is on this forum, maybe we can bounce off each other?

oh well...1st week on low fat diet. Cut out all bread, well....most. Cut out all crap and lived on pots, veg and chicken or fish and a few cuppa Soups low fat throughout the day and also 3 servings of Mayoplex whey Protein with skimmed milk. Just weighed and Ive lost 8 pounds which isnt bad. If I can loose another 7-8 next week then thats a stone in 2 weeks before the op. So should be please with my self. Have not done any Cardio and I have an office job, so not much activity thoughout the day. lol.

Ill keep you posted end of next week the day I fly to Brussels. 25th.

bye for now.

Good luck with low fat diet, the newport clinic is in a chiropractors, Fredrick is very proffessional and such a nice guy.

Good luck on the 26th x x

Thanks guys for all the kind words. OK......Im gonna tell you of my whole experience of Belgium so bare with me.rolleyes.gif

Day 1 - Travelling to Belgium

Ok my 2 week pre-op on low fat was ok, Did not stick religiously to the whole low fat thing but hey ho! Albeit now after the op I wish I did, as I know understand how important it is to shrink the liver. The liver sits over the top of the stomach where they need to operate and they literally flip the liver to one side like an omelette to make room to do their stuff. So having a small one helps and eases pressure on the stomach when flipped back after the procedure. SO DO THE LOW FAT DIET FOR TWO WEEKS AS IT HELPS.

My flight was at 4.30pm on Monday (Bank holiday mmmcool.gif) so it took just about an hour to go to Bristol Airport. The plane was just a small charter plane and was probably the smallest plane Ive been on. Still the flight was on time and so off I went. Landed in Brussels Airport at just over an hour later, and had had to wind my watch forward 1hr.

I must say the the Airport in Belgium is huge, but as long as you follow everyone else when you arrive, its all pretty easy. So off to baggage like everyone else to collect. Once collected and gone through the security checks I was out side in Arrivals. As I took one step outside a Taxi driver caught my eye and pointed to his cab. Its worth mentioning that there are official Taxis outside which have a blue and orange badge on. These as employed by the airport and have fixed tariffs. Its was 25 euro to the HOTEL CAMPANILE in VILVOORDE. It took approx 15-20 mins in the car to get to the hotel.

The hotel is situated in like an industrial estate but don'l let that put you off. Its like a version of a Premier Inn with a resteraunt on the side. The hotel front desk people are fully conversant in English as was the taxi driver. I checked in and was shown my room which was clean and comfortable with 32ins TV with about 4 English channels on. Rest being French and Flemmish. I was suppose to have a consultation with Frank, Dr.Chris's side kick but he rang the hotel and we spoke over the phone. As i was approx 1/2hr late on arriving and being a bank holiday, Frank expressed his apology for not being able to turn up and we both agreed that he would see me in the morning in my room then take me to the hospital. He told me that I could eat anything I wished but not to eat after 12. So I settled down, tv on and ate my three pack of airport sarnies, crisps and a diet coke.laugh.gif. Later had coffee and biscuits which were in my room.

Fell asleep at 12.30.

To be continued.................................

DAY 2 - OP DAY

6.30am get a knock on the door. Dr Fredrick. Nice chap. Young about 43 ish.Comes in, introduces himself and explains the procedure and post off diet, do'sand donts. Explains that they now have a website and that you can now go directto them rather than go through Brigit the UK Rep which personally I found asuseful as a chocolate fire guard, but that's only my experience. I asked if itwas cheaper direct, he said a little and you get all the transfers all in fromAirport to hotel to hospital to hotel to airport.. Anyway, he took my money,3900 euro in cash, I signed a receipt and off we went. The hospital was approx7 miles away and took about 15mins to get there. We had a chat about thehospital and about our families etc and his english is very good. We got to thehotel, parked up and walked towards the waiting room which is straight throughthe entrance hall then turn right. There are 6 booths there numbered 1-6. Youtake a ticket from the machine then look up at the screens. The monitor willflag up your number and tell you which booth to sit at. This is where you needto hand over your passport for I.D. and this is where you get your BAR CODE andwrist band and registration. All was very easy, they already know its for a lapband and know its from DR Chris. They again speak english, so its easy. Afterthe band is applied, she called for a porter who let me up stairs to the wardwhere I would be staying.

VIEW FROM MY HOSPITAL ROOM

http://i306.photobuc...10427-00398.jpg

MY ROOM

http://i306.photobuc...426-00391-1.jpg