Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Less than 24 hours post... in pain.. Question

I was banded less than 24 hours ago. For most of the day and into the evening I had extreme shoulder pain. I am taking Gas X and using a heating pad for that. I also have vicodin. The shoulder and back pain is mostly dull now. But I also have a very tight pain in the middle of my breast bone? Is this gas as well? I've not been able to drink more than 2 oz broth and 2 oz protien shake. But I was told most important was to stay hydrated, and I've been slowly sipping warm Water to avoid dehydration.

What the heck is this pain? It dulls with heating pad, but not all the way. I've gotten up and walked the hall a couple times, but I'm so weak that this is really difficult, so I've stayed comfy on a recliner.

I'm sure this is all normal. But I've had little sleep, it's 4:30 am and I'm practically in tears over this, maybe I just need to talk it out.....

I was banded on 2/23 and had the same pains. My left shoulder killed me and the pain would move into my chest. When I called my doc he told me it was the gas pains. I walked, did the hot pad and slept on a mountain of pillows in bed and was able to lay on my left side. I think the gas pain is worse than incision pain. The pain meds didn't seem to touch the shoulder pain for me. Hang in there, it gets better. Each day should get a little better. When in doubt, call your doc...that's what we pay them for. :D

I was banded on 3/15/2011 and felt the same pains. I walked...a lot. Every hour I got up and walked my house for 5-15 minutes. It helped and the gas will go away. Hang in there it gets better, the first few days are tough.:rolleyes:

Yes it is the gas that is most likely causing the pain. Gas X will not help with this gas pain becuase its not the same kind of gas that you get when you have to belch or fart lol..... It does go away and it does cause pain the your shoulders, chest and breast bone so this seems to be normal pains from what you are saying. Good Luck it definitley gets better just WALK WALK WALK.

I was banded on 2/23 and had the same pains. My left shoulder killed me and the pain would move into my chest. When I called my doc he told me it was the gas pains. I walked, did the hot pad and slept on a mountain of pillows in bed and was able to lay on my left side. I think the gas pain is worse than incision pain. The pain meds didn't seem to touch the shoulder pain for me. Hang in there, it gets better. Each day should get a little better. When in doubt, call your doc...that's what we pay them for. :D

If I hadn't looked I wouldn't have believed I had incisions LOL. Once I saw them, they gave off little twings of pain, but nothing like this gas. I just feel like crying, or screaming! Thanks for the response, I kind of figured this was to be expected. I always though I had a high tolerance for pain, lol.... Now I realize I've never experienced real pain until now!

Yes it is the gas that is most likely causing the pain. Gas X will not help with this gas pain becuase its not the same kind of gas that you get when you have to belch or fart lol..... It does go away and it does cause pain the your shoulders, chest and breast bone so this seems to be normal pains from what you are saying. Good Luck it definitley gets better just WALK WALK WALK.

Yuppers, I'm planning on grabbing a walk outdoors, first thing after someone wakes up to walk with me.

Each day gets significantly better. The shoulder pain was by far the worst pain I had. I still have it occasionally. The pain in the middle of your chest is right where the band sits. You just have grin and bear it for the first few days while resting and staying on top of your pain meds. I took my pain meds for the first 3 days whether I felt like I needed them or not. My theory is never to "chase pain" but to stay ahead of it. After that, I did not need them anymore and really didn't have any more pain. The shoulder got better, but it was very bothersome for the 1st couple of weeks. Gas X helps, but walking helps more. Don't give in the urge to not move around. Walk around for a little bit each hour, gradually increasing the amount when you can. I would walk for 5 minutes out of each hour and go from there. Good luck and hang in there...you'll feel normal again, I promise!

I was banded less than 24 hours ago. For most of the day and into the evening I had extreme shoulder pain. I am taking Gas X and using a heating pad for that. I also have vicodin. The shoulder and back pain is mostly dull now. But I also have a very tight pain in the middle of my breast bone? Is this gas as well? I've not been able to drink more than 2 oz broth and 2 oz protien shake. But I was told most important was to stay hydrated, and I've been slowly sipping warm Water to avoid dehydration.

What the heck is this pain? It dulls with heating pad, but not all the way. I've gotten up and walked the hall a couple times, but I'm so weak that this is really difficult, so I've stayed comfy on a recliner.

I'm sure this is all normal. But I've had little sleep, it's 4:30 am and I'm practically in tears over this, maybe I just need to talk it out.....

It honestly will be better every day. I know it is hard the first few days. Sip slowly all day and do the best you can. Some people start freaking out if they didn't get their full Water intake each day but just do your best effort and you will be ok. The more you walk the better you will feel - honestly. Getting up and down is hard and you may be weak but hold on to the walls as you go. I was up and down the first two days and walking circles in my house and I had very minimal pain by Day 2.

Bottom line - be gentle with yourself and your feelings. Keep in mind that it is totally normal to think "What the hell have I done to myself??". That will pass. I promise.

Best wishes and keep us posted.

i had the same chest pain and it really scared me. called my dr and he said it's totally normal. it's actually band pain from the surgery and mine went away after about 3 days. totally normal, don't worry about it. the gas pain will subside too. just try to relax and take care yourself. the first 2 or 3 days are the worst and then you'll feel much better :)

Thank you everyone! I think I was just at a very weak point this morning, frustrated with inability to be comfy, and rest. But I've taken the advice and kept moving. I put more time in between when I give in to pain meds, walked the hallway, even painted my nails lol. I bet by tomorrow I'll be much better. Thank you all for being so supportive. It is nice to have folks who have already been through this give me a bit of guidence along the way!

I was banded a week ago today and felt the same thing! I tried Prilosec, Gas X and peppermint tea. I don't know if any of it really worked but the pain did go away. I couldn't drink more than one shake a day and a cup of broth and it hurt so bad. My husband bought sugar free popsicles so I could als get a little hydration. Every day the pain eased up considerably. It went away in two days and now at one week I am feeling so much better! It feels like my stomach is growling but I don't think it is and I only have the slightest pain on the left side where my stomach/band is. No pain killers on day 4 or 5 for me. I hope this helps!! Stay well!

The ONLY thing that will help this gas pain is walking because that helps to metabolize the gasses trapped in your body. It will travel around. I walked a ton and always felt better after. I was always weak and didnt want to but when the shoulder pain would come on I had to and it helped. Hang in there by the end of week two you will hopefully feel right as rain.

I had horrible shoulder pain too after my surgery on March 14th. I didn't take any painkillers but in hindsight I probably should have so I didn't have to suffer as much as I did. The only thing that helps me is walking and deep breathing. It's pretty much gone now but I will still get it if I drink fluids too fast, so I take it as my body's way of telling me to slow down. They definitely didn't warn me about this before my surgery! But you're not the only one. I hope you are feeling better!

Did you have a hiatal hernia repaired? My understanding is that many people who get banded do (I did). That may be contributing to the pain. Laying flat on my back and staying very still helped me when I first came home from surgery. However, it's important to get up and move around periodically to help release the gas they used to inflate your belly. Hang in there...things will improve rapidly. You are going to be ok.