Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional Eating-How Do You Cope?

Looks like my bad eating habit (binge eating) is not going away. After 3-month great weight loss progress post lap-band surgery, I'm gaining my weight back. I've lost 16 kilo post surgery,only to gain 3 back in the past couple of months. I'm losing my motivation and my focus. I can't seem to focus on mindful eating-chew slowly, drink slowly, choose the nutritious food. I still crave all the bad stuffs, consume too much sugar, carbo. I still eat a lot at night (night after night) to fulfill something that's missing in my life.

Many nights I puked the thing I've eaten and just to eat more afterwards because I was starving. This is awful. I think my band has either slipped or my stomach has expanded. I no longer feel full.

I've had 3 fills for a total of 2.3 cc and yet I can finish a whole portion and I feel hungry minutes after. I no longer wake up in the morning and have that tightness feeling. I'm losing the battle and I don't know what to do. I am seeing a psychologist (something is haywire in my head) and I have started seeing a dietitian to help me with food choices and weekly menus. I feel awful. I don't know if I should see my surgeon - I've seen him so many times. I'm embarassed! I can't seem to be honest with him but actually he's an awesome, kind person.

My heartburn is coming back too. I feel tightness in chest, I burp more and more. I'm having problems doing my pilates because I feel like whatever air I'm breathing in cannot go deep into my lungs from all the gas caused by my heartburn.

I know what I'm doing is wrong. I just can't seem to make the changes I need to make. Thank you for listening to me and please do not judge me too harshly. :confused:

I'm not going to judge you...I am sure I'll have times like that, too, once I'm banded (2 weeks). My first thought is that perhaps a counselor or therapist could be of help in guiding you. We all use food as a coping mechanism and good friend, or we wouldn't need the band. And I keep reading here that the head hunger is harder to deal with than the physical hunger. I find evening the hardest time of day, too...the only thing that works for me is to keep busy with something. I sew and quilt and have a couple of other hobbies, so I can usually find something to do.

I hope you will consider a counselor. He or she may be able to help...mine did. I wish you the best.

Emily

I have to think that maybe if you WERE completely honest with your surgeon, he might be able to help...

It sounds like an Endoscopy might be in order - the combination of lack of restriction and reflux/PB issues might indicate a larger problem.

I'm not going to beat up on you - it seems you are doing plenty of that, for yourself.

Call your psychologist - talk to your surgeon - and come here, more. Nobody says you have to do this alone.

IF you can, find another Bandster close enough to you to visit with or to call regularly. Talking to people who have been there and done that is probably the best medicine.

HUGS

Calm down. One baby step at a time. Panic will not help you, right? Do ONE thing. Just ONE. If you feel overwhelmed, that will just fuel your desire to eat. You know what to do. Hugs, Cindy

I keep saying over and over in my head " nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"

It works! I have come too far to let emotional eating ruin my success especially now that I have no band! I will not gain this wegiht back. I love the new me, no emotional reason is worth me eating and gaining weight. For example..right now I have some things going on in my life at this very moment, that is causing me alot of emotional distress..but I'm here posting instead of in the kitchen grazing and eating. It aint easy but I'm doin it!

Thank you y'all. I feel better already. I will definitely talk to my surgeon ASAP. Fingers crossed - it's nothing serious. Thanks for all your wisdom and support. :)

GEEZ- everyone has such great advice! For me anxiety is what causes the emotional need to eat. Journaling helps although it is difficult to stop in the moment. My paxil helps too!!! ALOT!

Come on lapband and vent and TAKE CARE OF YOU!

Emotional eating is hard. My FI and I got into a bit of an argument and I was ready to run for the icecream. Instead I went for a walk and felt better. Best of luck to you :)