Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not required to do liquid diet before band.

Please share

I was only made to do about 4 days of a low-fat, no-carb diet before the surgery. I could even have low-fat cottage cheese. It might have something to do with your current health and low likelihood of a fatty liver? I don't know.

I did not have to do any special diet pre-op. just liquids 24 hours before surgery and then nothing by mouth 8 hours before surgery.

I didnt have to do anything like that. My doc said that he believes if you dont have to then there is less likely of a chance of you cheating after surgery when it is most important. Thats just what he belives. I ate my last meal before surgery at 2pm and then started bowel prep at 4 pm.. that made me throw everything up :( and then the second bottle cleaned me out I guess you can say. I was also on liquids for three weeks after surgery so maybe thats why he does not do it before hand.

No pre-op liquids for me! My only instructions were to not eat after midnight the day of surgery. My doctor doesn't find the pre-op diet useful (I asked).

Cindy

I had no preop diet at all. Just couldnt eat after midnight the night before the surgery. It really doesnt help. I worked in surgery for God knows how long and everyones stomach is the same size no matter how fat you are. As far as the fatty liver well that is just their way of making you do some God aweful crap before surgery because any liver I have seen on a screen looks the same no matter how fat you are. They try to make you do this crap in hopes that it will get you in the liquid mode for after surgery. Just do what you feel you need to to do it. I think being on liquids for two weeks is ridiculous when after surgery you will be on liquids for two weeks. Like I said everyones liver and stomach are the same size no matter how fat you are.

I had no preop diet except for the day of surgery and then I had to be on Clear Liquids and take Dulcolax to clean me out. From my own reading, I see no rational explanation for a clear liquid diet for band surgery. I could understand if it was bypass or sleeve since they're actually cutting into your stomach and/or intestines.

I'm on a clear liquid diet today in prep for having my band removed tomorrow and we'll see how it goes. I may have to tell the doctor that I need my Protein shake to keep my blood sugar stable since I'm already having difficulties.

I had a low bmi so when my doc looked at my liver, he said it wasn't too fatty and I'd be fine for no pre op diet. Some doctors require you do it, some dont.

why do some doctors put people on liquid diets? if it's just for getting us ready for post sugary, then they should tell us thay!

blk-weight.png

My dr said the goal of preop diet is to shrink the liver. My preop diet was not liquid just low carb. I could have less than 30 carbs per day.

J

wow, i love my surgeon but for this reason only i would love a different one lol. i have to do two weeks pre surgery liquid diet due to my BMI being over 45. that means my birthday november 17th and thanksgiving will be a liquid diet. but i am going to start the liquid November 18th, i must have one last birthday at Carmine's in atlantic city, family style italian food. thanksgiving is going to be tough. i am italian, holidays are all about the food, but that is also the reason i am in the shape that i am in. consider yourself very lucky. wish you much success in your journey.

I was a lower BMI patient. When I went to my GP to ask for a referall to a lapband surgeon, he sent me off for a barrage of testing as well as giving me the referral, so when I saw my surgeon, I'd already done a lot of the pre op testing he would have ordered. One of those was a liver ulstrasound - which they wouldnt ordinarily do, so it was just a lucky chance, and my liver was absolutely fine, not unduly fatty and not enlarged (everyone's organs may be basically the same size give or take, but fatty liver is a real condition and it does result in enlargement of the liver which can get in the way of surgery). Given my liver was not enlarged and he knew that surgery would not be hampered, there was no need for the liquid diet. Truthfully there's no need for it for probably 80% of people, but its way more expensive on the health system to do liver ultrasounds on everyone, much more sensible to just put everyone on the diet just in case.

They dont put you on the diet to "test" you out before surgery and test your commitment - that's brutal. We're sick people who need assistance and to impose some moral contest on people is pretty cruel - I wouldnt use any surgeon with such a misguided view on obesity. Being able to stick to a liquid diet is NO indication of how you'll go once your banded - thats a lifestyle commitment not a 2 week torture. I cant stick to a liquid diet now, 6 years banded and with 120% of my excess weight gone. I find the day of clears prior to a colonosocpy torture!