Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

using lawyer to help get approval

Has anyone on this board used Gary Viscio, he's an attorney who specializes in getting insurance companies to approve weight loss surgeries. He came highly reccomended by the folks at Obesity Help and I thought it would be a good idea to get some legal help on this. So far all he's done is take my money and give me the run around. My insurance co denied my coverage for the surgery three months ago and Gary hasn't done a thing about it. I feel I've been conned out of over $700.00. I'm just going to try the appeal myself. Has anyone had experience (good or bad) with him? Suz

He was recommended to me by people OTHER than Obesity Help - but I didn't use him due to lack of funds and the uncertainty of life. Have you e-mailed and called and played the part of Squeeky Wheel?

I ended up appealing my own case. I am on month four, and I have appealed to the state. I am supposed to hear something soon.

Sorry that whole attorney thing isn't working for you.

:[

It's now been 6 months since I was denied by my insurance because of not having proof of doctor-supervised dieting. I guess I have not been obnoxious enough to get Mr Viscio to do anything. He just is not doing a thing. I don't know how many emails I've sent, he usually replies and then does nothing. I called the insurance company and they say they have received no correspondence at all! I'm going to have to do this myself. Does anyone know if there are credible groups like CDC and AMA or anyone my insurance would find credible who don't consider proof of doctor diets neccessary? I will go after Mr Viscio after I'm approved for surgery, I must put all my time into this first, and maybe he'll shock me and come through in the end (yeah, right). If I can't get my insurance to pay for this, I'm going to have to get a home equity loan to do it myself. Anyone have a copy of what you used that I could get ideas from? Suz

I ran into the same problem with my insurance company so I had my MD write a letter to them stating that he advised me to join Weight Watchers, etc. and considers them "supervised" as you weigh-in weekly. I then had my arthritis MD write a letter stating that he advised the surgery as well as my cardiologist. I got the name of my case manager and faxed the letters to her along with copies of medical records from past hospitalizations. You can request them from the hospital but they do charge a small fee. Finally, they gave me approval.

It's not easy and it does take a lot of phone calls and leg work but, if you persist, you can get approval. To make it easier, I actually wrote the letters for the MDs and got them to sign it.

I will keep my fingers crossed you win. I am one week post-op today.

If you call me I can assist you. Unfortunately I see alot of these posts about one attorney or another and in many cases it turns out to be someone who just wants to bash us or compete against us. So, since I have no idea who you are, I would ask that you give me a call, or email me, and we can assist you.

Additionally, even people who don't use lawyers will tell you that insurance carriers tell you one story or another. We have proof of filing of our appeals and work with all carriers.

The diet history is normally something that can easily be overcome.

If you do not contact me I'm going to have to assume this is just another flamming post against our firm. If this is a real post then I truly apologize if you felt neglected. If you email me today, I'll send you my cell phone to call this weekend. I waited for 6 months to have the surgery because of a problem with my surgeon's office. I hated it. It was torture. BUT, I never had to worry as to whether I would be approved or not. That is something I could not imagine. Honestly. I was brought up as an attorney handling litigation. Negligence and that sort. My fees for appeals that top at 750 and where we often workout any type of payment plan and sometimes handle cases for free is really very small in comparison to what the other fields could bring in. But I do hate that these companies make you jump through these hoops. And, I want, if my children ever decide to become lawyers (hope not ;) ) that I can leave them something they can be proud of, and feel like they accomplish something, not just go around and sue someone.

Call me.

Gary Viscio

www.obesitylawyers.com

rny 7/1/03

-165lbs

Mr. Viscio Suz has been a member of LBT since July 2004 but rarely posts. She hasn't been on here in several weeks now. I sent you a private message but the email portion of your profile is blocked. Please look at the private message I sent you. I have tried to send her an email to get ya'll together. Thanks M.

Hey Suz, You may want to check out Obeisity Law.com. The lawyers name is Walter Lindstrom and so far I have had very good luck with him. He is helpful, funny and reasonable. He just sent in my first appeal to Regence Blue Shield, so keep your fingers crossed.

Walter also told me that Medicare now covers the Lap Band.

Megret