Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone!!

I am getting banded on Tuesday and I couldnt be more excited! After talking to my dad and a few other close family friends the question or though kept coming up "Aren't you to young for this type of procedure?" I am 26 and have been overweight my entire life, but have been "morbidly obese" as they call it for the last 2 years. I am just wondering if anyone else as been asked that? Its kind of a weird thought that people would ask/say that. Just wondering if anyone else has been asked that or any other weird questions...

Thanks!!

I think a teen may be too young, but at 26 I think you are at a great age for this. Why wait for old age to creep up and live more years morbidly obese? Your youth is on your side when it comes to recovery. If you waited until you are 50 the health problems that come with obesity would have set in. Why live the rest of your 20s as a morbidly obese person? You have so much life ahead of you and you are old enough to make this choice for yourself.smile.gif

That is exactly what I thought too and is what I told them, they didnt mean it in a mean way I think they were just concerned about me... But I agree I would much rather do this now and know that I will have a healthy life and a better recovery than if I was to wait another couple of years or so.

Thanks!

Hello Everyone!!

I am getting banded on Tuesday and I couldnt be more excited! After talking to my dad and a few other close family friends the question or though kept coming up "Aren't you to young for this type of procedure?" I am 26 and have been overweight my entire life, but have been "morbidly obese" as they call it for the last 2 years. I am just wondering if anyone else as been asked that? Its kind of a weird thought that people would ask/say that. Just wondering if anyone else has been asked that or any other weird questions...

Thanks!!

I'm 24 years old, and I had the surgery when I was 23 (late August of 2010). I was told that I was too young by a few. My mother was first very angry when my dad suggested the lapband two years ago. This was after them worrying and trying so many approaches for years. My mother eventually realized that, if something drastic wasn't done, I may be increasingly obese my entire (probably brief) life. She told my grandparents that I was about to get the lapband and my grandpa was so upset that she now pretends like I changed my mind and I didn't get the surgery. He said: "Why surgery? Why doesn't she just diet?" Even with my current success with the band, questions like these still make me ashamed that I couldn't just be normal and stop eating too much.

I became the only chubby child of the family at about the age of 5. Until puberty, I was sometimes chubby and sometimes at a normal weight depending on how active I was. After puberty, I gained weight like you wouldn't believe. My usual weight was about 230 pounds by first year of university. Without intending to, I actually lost the freshmen-15 and ended up at 215 pounds. I gained almost exactly that amount back by second year. Then, one diet got me to 193 pounds before I rebounded over two years' time to an all-time high (or low, more like it) of 267 pounds.

I've tried diets and I'm not saying they are all crap and this is the only thing that works. This is in some ways a diet anyway and not everyone (their fault or not) loses a substantial amount of weight with the band, or at least keeps it off. But, one often quoted study states that about 95% of diets fail. Another states that people who diet gain more weight in the end than those who were the same weight but did not diet. Now, I don't need to replicate the studies behind these statistics to see their underlying truth. My most successful diet was followed by my all-time highest weight. The one weight-loss in freshmen year that I didn't even realize was happening (until the end of the year) still failed after a year, but at least it only brought me back to my usual weight of 230-something.

So, what's the answer? Continue dieting and keep rebounding to a new high? Never diet and stay at the same weight for fear of gaining more? With the lapband, there's a higher rate of success and why wouldn't I want the process of dieting to be easier?

I got the lapband now because I don't like the odds of people who go it alone. I also don't like the odds of people who've been overweight since their teens. If I had gained weight after pregnancy like some women have, I probably would have given dieting and exercise a few more tries. As far as age goes, I think there are two ages that are the best for lapband: 1) when you're in your youth and you are just beginning to date, find yourself, travel, apply for jobs and 2) when you're mature and you need to lose weight for your health and to mitigate co-morbidities. Of course, any age is a good time to lose weight, whether you're regaining your youthful confidence or seizing those opportunities that you missed out on when you were in your 20s.

Anyhow, I don't like how I feel when I'm overweight and I don't want to struggle like this for another 10 years, until I'm at a more "appropriate age." As long as you're old enough to make an informed and independent decision about your own body and as long as you have tried the solo route, I think the sooner the better.

IMO doing it in your 20's is only going to make your overall health better. Now if you had only been overweight for 1-2 years with no other history, maybe....but that's not the case. *hugs*

Oh how I wish I had been able to get the band in my 20's.........sigh lol

I had my band done 4 days after my 24th birthday and don't regret it one bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know i wasnt to young... I am living my life now like a person in their 20's should!! :)

I am 26 and I am supposed to be banded in April. It is best now that you take care of your weight and get band as opposed to waiting years down the road to do something about it. My advice to you is to block out the negativity and have no regrets about what you are doing, because it is for YOUR health after all.

Oh how I wish I had been able to get the band in my 20's.........sigh lol

Oh my god. Me too. I hate all the time I've wasted. For the first time, I actually feel hopeful about success.

I turn 21 in ten days and I'm being banded on the 29th of April. I haven't told anyone except my immediate family, boyfriend and closest friend about it so I haven't experienced any negativity. I actually regret not doing this earlier, my 21st looming and knowing the tag on my dress says size 18-20 isnt a nice thought.

I know you've been banded already but I'm 27 and 9 days post op and honestly I don't feel like I was too young. I feel like maybe someone in their early teens or even mid teens might be too young but not at our age.

Hope you're feeling good!!!

You're a perfect age! Good for you girl! I'm 29 and kicking myself that I didnt decide to do this sooner! I've lost so much time when I feel I could've been really LIVING! My dr has suggested it to me for years and I told him no... until this winter my weight combined with my asthma had me gasping for breath after running up 1 flight of stairs. That there was enough to change my mind. I am currently going through the process, just have a nut appt and the 1 more support group meeting before my 2nd appt with my surgeon can be done. Good on u girl! And live it up! B)

I'm 21 and i was banded at 20. i started off at 240 like you ;) i'm happy with my decision to get the band young. i'm embracing the life-style change although it's a challenge every day. YOU'LL DO FABULOUS. congratulations on being banded. =)