Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ok, so here it is, MY truth about the lap band....right now, anyway

so..

hi FOLKS!!

My name is Patty. I was banded July 1, 2010....and I will freely admit, the band has been a wonderful tool...I have lost 120 lbs, from May '10 till about 2 weeks ago......(50 lbs pre op)

so here's my (few) things

does anyone just start to think the band is now just a Pain?? I am soo sick of it right now...(granted I have been sick with strep for a few weeks, like bad, with cellulitis) and now my cycle, so it is bound to be tighter...but DAMN (sorry) it seems like EVERYTHING gets stuck...I had to pull over to puke up split pea Soup I made myself yesterday...(like a puree) I know I am in a mood, but I right now am tired of this!!

and this one is bigger than the band

so, we are food addicts. we all have to admit that. what happens when food isnt our drug anymore?? we switch addictions to???

and what happens when we lose more than 100 lbs + and well, then nothing changes.....so like, now what??

I know I'm expecting a lot outta that little piece o plastic in there, huh??

just tired I guess, but I tell the truth, you know you all have thought these things!! share your thoughts please??

cuz, you know...even tho I've lost 120 lbs, doesnt mean I dont look (to myself) like almost 400 lbs still....that never goes away for me anyway..

thanks for reading if you've made it thus far

and, yes, before you chastise me, I know I am wrong for just not going in for an unfill..that just feels like defeat somehow to me...(yes I have issues, LOL)

Hi, I get what you're saying. I had my band unfilled five months ago for cancer treatment, and I can tell you I am LOVING life without restriction. I managed my band very well, hardly ever puked, didnt have much trouble with it at all but I had gotten used to what a pain in the ass being unable to eat totally normally was. I can now eat anything, anywhere, without the pressure of worrying if it will go down, at the most what happened to me was "uncomfortable moments" when eating out etc, where I'd strive to hide the brief stuck/sliming from others I was eating with - I sure as eggs dont miss that one single bit. I'm enjoying bread again etc. Best of all, I havent regained any weight at all.

I wouldnt say we're all "food addicts" though, I think very few people are truly addicts. More often, certainly for me, we just plain like eating, we've gotten self indulgent, we never say no to ourselves, we develop bad habits and we dont exercise enough - its as simple as that. I've relearned those things and now practice them all and as a result, I need no restriction for the time being.

I don't even know what to say to your post....I absolutely love my band!! I have gone from a size 26 to a size 18 in 9 months....I am so happy right now. Size 16 is just around the corner. I hardly ever get stuck with food. So, I still enjoy all foods but with moderation. Sometimes I think I eat too much....I never deprive myself of sweets. And I also agree about the addiction, for me now....my addiction is walking....I now love to walk. I hope you can get past this emotional break and start loving your band...Also, when I look in the mirror, I also still see FAT....I hope some day that will change!

Yes it can be aggravating because some days I have trouble eating all day and others I dont. Its a give and take situation. Yesterday everything I ate including yogurt got stuck but today Im on liquids again tomorrow I will try to eat. It hasnt been easy but however I dont regret it. I have lost and can excersise now. I dont really think I have another addiction since food apparently isnt one of them anymore but you have to look at it as in your not 400lbs anymore, you are healthier than you were and yes there will be some days that when its hard to eat you will want to pull that darn thing out but we have to learn to live with it because having things get stuck are not half as bad as they were when I was 250 or 285 at my highest weight.

I have to agree with the other folks. I would not give up my band for anything. I was 254 at my highest. Wow! I have to admit, it takes a lot for me to even say that to myself. I was not a food addict, but did enjoy food. I now can eat small amounts and be satisfied. I have gained and lost many times over, but with the band, it can be controlled. I, now, am at maintanance, and my band is empty due to a slip. I still am controlling myself after learning the hints of smaller servings and smaller plates.

I weigh less now than in 36 years. I am happy and now I have a true addiction to shopping for my new wardrobe!!!!Karen

I have to agree with the other folks. I would not give up my band for anything. I was 254 at my highest. Wow! I have to admit, it takes a lot for me to even say that to myself. I was not a food addict, but did enjoy food. I now can eat small amounts and be satisfied. I have gained and lost many times over, but with the band, it can be controlled. I, now, am at maintanance, and my band is empty due to a slip. I still am controlling myself after learning the hints of smaller servings and smaller plates.

I weigh less now than in 36 years. I am happy and now I have a true addiction to shopping for my new wardrobe!!!!Karen

I wouldnt give it up, dont get me wrong...I was 366 at my highest!!! down 120 lbs in 10 months..I know its a great tool, and I have worked it well....just some times...its just a pain!!! lol....I know its keeping me from gaining weight back, because without it I am just not "normal" a normal person would not eat an entire pizza. I have. now if I can finish 1 small piece I am stuffed....just sometimes, I hate how the band can change on you and what you ate yesterday, hurts today.....I know I will never be normal without it, so getting rid of it is not an option. I guess I just want it all, lol!!! actually, I think I may get a small unfill *sigh* what a pain!

I understand what you're are saying, BUT like others could never give it up. I too have good days and bad. Some days super tight and can't eat anything. Other days, I can eat pretty much normally just smaller portions. I will admit there have been times when I have thought, "what I wouldn't give to have a button to be able to unfill myself for one meal a month or so to be able to remember what it feels like to be normal again." I remember on my honeymoon a few weeks ago, I lost four pounds while we were gone. My band was super tight that week. I think it was related to the stress of the event. I remember watching my husband eating and watching every bite he took like a baby longing to eat solid food. Was seriously considering getting a slight unfill too when i got back from honeymoon, but now I'm fine though. Got better almost as soon as i got home. I was so miserable though. I've never had an unfill btw and I haven't had anything added to my band since Feb of last year. I still have the tightness issues from time to time though. For me it's still so much better than the alternative though. Oh and I do think that we dont' deal with the mental aspect of it adequately before the surgery. I totally understand the still feeling like I'm a size 4x. I bought a pair of size 6 jeans. I still have difficulty believing that I fit into them. I still try to tell myself it is only because they have some stretch in the denim. lol Even though, I've tried on multiple size 6's since and they all fit. It's just very difficult to change the mental part of it.

so..

hi FOLKS!!

My name is Patty. I was banded July 1, 2010....and I will freely admit, the band has been a wonderful tool...I have lost 120 lbs, from May '10 till about 2 weeks ago......(50 lbs pre op)

does anyone just start to think the band is now just a Pain?? I am soo sick of it right now...(granted I have been sick with strep for a few weeks, like bad, with cellulitis) and now my cycle, so it is bound to be tighter...but DAMN (sorry) it seems like EVERYTHING gets stuck...I had to pull over to puke up split pea Soup I made myself yesterday...(like a puree) I know I am in a mood, but I right now am tired of this!!

so, we are food addicts. we all have to admit that. what happens when food isnt our drug anymore?? we switch addictions to???

and what happens when we lose more than 100 lbs + and well, then nothing changes.....so like, now what??

just tired I guess, but I tell the truth, you know you all have thought these things!! share your thoughts please??

cuz, you know...even tho I've lost 120 lbs, doesnt mean I dont look (to myself) like almost 400 lbs still....that never goes away for me anyway..

and, yes, before you chastise me, I know I am wrong for just not going in for an unfill..that just feels like defeat somehow to me...(yes I have issues, LOL)

I know exactly how you feel. I am with you on the food addict part. That's just my personality I've found. I'm a recovering alcoholic (7 yrs sober) an ex smoker and now an ex binger (although those darn slider foods like chips still go down!) I too wondered what I would replace this addiction to. I have found though that I am now forced to deal with my feelings and thoughts rather than avoid feeling by using an addiction.

The band, well I would do it again, but I have to agree, some days I just don't want it. I looked at a great juicy burger on tv last night and was just whistful. I think the hardest part is that some days things go down, and some days they don't. It's not consistent. I've had this thing 2 years now and I've maintained my weight within 5 pounds, so I'm happy with the functionality of it. It is however not as I thought it would be. It's not as simple as feeling full faster longer.

I have considered your second topic many times and brought it up with my therapist. If there is a void, what fills it? And he was like, GIRL, it can just be a void. Don't get hung up on it.

I love the results I am getting with my band, but I hear you, sometimes I hate the freaking thing and want to rip it out. But those are moments and they pass and nothing tastes as good as skinny anyway.

I have considered your second topic many times and brought it up with my therapist. If there is a void, what fills it? And he was like, GIRL, it can just be a void. Don't get hung up on it.

I love the results I am getting with my band, but I hear you, sometimes I hate the freaking thing and want to rip it out. But those are moments and they pass and nothing tastes as good as skinny anyway.

thanks for the note!! I wonder if my problem is I am just a nutter, (LOL) and I just havent found a therapist to deal with me, LOL!! but seriously...we need to learn how to deal with our lives now that food as a drug is gone.*sigh* I have no real answers...looking for them!

Reading everyone's responses to your post has been helpful. I was so tight that nothing was getting through, so my surgeon removed .4cc. Since then, I have gained 15lbs!!! It is like my old evil self is back. I am totally out of control with my food choices and am struggling to gert it back. I have slowed down my exercise as well.....I'm a mess! I had lost 104lbs but now am back to my November weight. I could have made my goal by now had I not had these months of misbehavior,...I just can't seem to regain control!! Anyone else have these problems or re3solved them?? I suppose I should go get a refill. I did make an appt with the Psychologist for Wed. Maybe she can straighten me out?!! Just for the record...after losing 100+...I still thought of myself as fat, as well.

quote name='goldngrll' timestamp='1300502352' post='1588142']

so..

hi FOLKS!!

It is comforting to know I am in good company! Sometimes it's too tight, sometimes not tight enough, but mostly I am getting long with the band. I, too, sometimes wish I could undo a button once a month and eat a greasy hamburger and french fries like I used to, but that kind of behavior got me up to 240 pounds with no upper limit in sight..

Even after a year I am still looking for things I can eat without trouble, and I miss being able to eat an orange fibrous membrabes and all. I get frustrated at times, but even so I am grateful for the restriction because otherwise I'd balloon right back up like I have done every time I've lost weight in the past. Losing weight was less of an issue than keeping it off, and I know I can't keep it off without the mechanical restriction of the band.

I am like you patty, I hate this thing, I hate that one day I am driving and puking into a plastic cup that I have to carry with me due to barfing all the time, I hate knowing that I cant go out to eat with friends because I may get "stuck" and "slim"......when I asked my DR before this thing, I was told.."you won't get sick often as long as you follow my instructions".....WRONG!!!!! I chew, I follow it to a T, and I get sick.... I have been banded since Jan and I am thinking of taking it out, I can do this with out a band, I have done it before and I can conqure this...... I should not have to go through this and feel like i am a bulimic....

I AM so very very very very sick of my band. I too get stuck daily.. even on Water. I have for 4 years now. Its just my way of life that I cant change or Ill be over 400 pounds again. and I still hold out hope for the next 100 pounds to be lost.

I hope the best for you!!

I am like you patty, I hate this thing, I hate that one day I am driving and puking into a plastic cup that I have to carry with me due to barfing all the time, I hate knowing that I cant go out to eat with friends because I may get "stuck" and "slim"......when I asked my DR before this thing, I was told.."you won't get sick often as long as you follow my instructions".....WRONG!!!!! I chew, I follow it to a T, and I get sick.... I have been banded since Jan and I am thinking of taking it out, I can do this with out a band, I have done it before and I can conqure this...... I should not have to go through this and feel like i am a bulimic....

You just described my life exactly.. but I have tolerated it for 4 years now,. in fear of gaining it all back.