Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

chocolate cravings

Two years in on my banding experience, and I'm stilll struggling with an addiction to chocolate - primarily chocolate bars of any kind. I've used it for over 20 years to cope with stress, boredom, depression, etc.Bingeing on chocolate or lately just having a small amount daily, has been a lifelong vice. Long story short, I've finally mustered up the will power to cut it out of my diet - 5 days sober! - and the withdrawal/detox is killing me!! I really want to make it 21 days, because I read somewhere that that's how long it takes to break a habit. Anyways, I don't know how I'm going to make it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. At some point, I want to reintroduce chocolate into my life, but obviously not until I find healthier ways of coping with stress. In the meanwhile, I'm in complete and total agony for wanting a piece of chocolate...

there' s a ton of approaches to help such a project. The ultimate motivation of controlling our body behavior by the sheer application of our rational process is a demanding discipline that requires constant practice.

You have your goal. You've identified your problem. That's 2/3 of the way there! The other third, is to develop your WON'T power....as in "I WON'T let my Old Bad Habits control my mind through my body addictions".

Learn how to walk away from those temptations. Addictions can be modified using changes in behavior.

Behavior is controlled by conscious effort. Wanting something is not as powerful as DOING something else....not related to what that 'want' ......so walk toward your goal that you choose and leave the wants behind kicking in the Old Habit graveyard.

You can do it.

If I absolutely positively "need" chocolate, I go for a Protein Shake or Carnation Instant Breakfast sugar free. I don't keep other kinds in the house and I'm too lazy to go out for a candy bar. I went through two boxes of Luna Protein Bars in two days. Lesson learned. Don't keep them in the house (or car). Sometimes when I go out to the grocery store, I buy a candy bar and split it with my 3 year old but I try not to do it often. I want him to realize it's a treat.

The other third, is to develop your WON'T power....as in "I WON'T let my Old Bad Habits control my mind through my body addictions".

Jack, I love what you said! Old bad habits have so much power to manipulate me IF I let them. I had gotten to the point where chocolate was the boss of me, but I think I've made a dent in it's power now. I'm happy to say I'm 7 days choco-free!

Two years in on my banding experience, and I'm stilll struggling with an addiction to chocolate - primarily chocolate bars of any kind. I've used it for over 20 years to cope with stress, boredom, depression, etc.Bingeing on chocolate or lately just having a small amount daily, has been a lifelong vice. Long story short, I've finally mustered up the will power to cut it out of my diet - 5 days sober! - and the withdrawal/detox is killing me!! I really want to make it 21 days, because I read somewhere that that's how long it takes to break a habit. Anyways, I don't know how I'm going to make it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. At some point, I want to reintroduce chocolate into my life, but obviously not until I find healthier ways of coping with stress. In the meanwhile, I'm in complete and total agony for wanting a piece of chocolate...

Babe - I, too, crave chocolate every day. I also crave sweets in general. I am going to start taking a supplement called chromium which is supposed to help cut down on those cravings. Research it and go to your local health food store to buy it.

ccfisk, please let me know how it works on those cravings. I used to take a long time ago on the advice of a trainer because it's supposed to help with WL, but I didn't see any change so I stopped. I had no idea it could help with cravings.

anyways, I'm a month into my chocolate detox and so far I've been doing great. I had half a piece of belgian chocolate a few days ago, and today I bought one of the easter cream eggs. I'm proud to say I found both way too sweet. The craving is still there, but now i've broken that habit of having it everyday (sometimes in absurd amounts!). What's helped is that i'm telling people that I'm on chocolate detox, so they don't try to push it on me. At a staff meeting this, some evil person brought a big box of chocolate, and it somehow ended up in front of me several times and I didn't crack!!!

"I'm proud to say I found both way too sweet. " YES!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot:

When I crave chocolate, I get a chocolate sugare free pudding cup and add 1/2 scoop Protein Powder in it. It tastes good and chocolately!!! The added Protein helps give you a good full feeling too till mealtime. I usually have these between meals if needed. Or when I think I will kill someone if I don't get cholcolate. LOL Try it and good luck to you!!! It is especially hard this time of year. Easter with all the commercials on tv about chocolate bunnies and all. :)

"Chocolate craving" is no different than any other craving, that taken to the extreme we TOTMOs tend to do, results in the turmoil and self inflicted suffering indulging in one illusion we consign ourselves to another round of self doubt and guilt. Today I indulged in something I've been lusting after for 6 months: a deli counter has "lemon bar" in huge and glorious excess....today I bought one...and shared it with three other people. I got 3 small tastes....and have no guilt or residual lust for it at all now. preOp I would have simply inhaled at least one, taken the other back to a table and eaten it at some leisure, while hauling still another toward home...not that it would have gotten there. So I'm all for "chocolate lust" by whatever name. Being able to enjoy a taste without being driven to devour the entire shelf load is a triumph for me!!! It simply doesn't take so much these days, to satisfy such imagined pleasures.

OK guys you have inspired me. I am going to chocolate/sugar detox because i am out of control. That one little bit of chocolate has turned into eating it till i am full and my weight loss has stalled ..again. I kid myself that the exercise i do will counter act the calories but i dont have time to work out for four hours a day!! Easter will be hard but i am going to do it.

Thanks for the inspiration.

OK guys you have inspired me. I am going to chocolate/sugar detox because i am out of control. That one little bit of chocolate has turned into eating it till i am full and my weight loss has stalled ..again. I kid myself that the exercise i do will counter act the calories but i dont have time to work out for four hours a day!! Easter will be hard but i am going to do it.

Thanks for the inspiration.

You Go Girl! I'm a month in, and while the first couple weeks are torture, it gets easier. Just to be clear, I stopped eating chocolate bars, but still had NF choco pudding and added cocoa to my Protein shakes. My problem was buying movie size chocolate bars, or bags of chocolate and finishing it in one sitting. Or eating chocolate to deal with boredom or a bad day. I'm happy to say I'm not dependent any more and really don't crave it much. Although, those easter eggs are calling my name : )

Good Luck!!!