Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved with no comorbidities?

My BMI when I started this process was 48, I've lost some weight since then. I have no comorbidities. As I'm waiting for insurance approval, I'm now wondering how much that fact will hurt my chances of getting the band. I have United Healthcare. Any thoughts?

It's hard to say. Recommended is a BMI >40 without comorbidities but many insurances still want one. Have you had a sleep study? If not, you may want to go ahead and schedule one in hopes of a sleep apnea diagnosis...or you can wait for an insurance answer...

Good luck!!!

I just posted new qualifying guidelines from the FDA. They still include 1 obesity-related comorbidity for a BMI of 30 - 35.

I was banded under UHC with no comorbidites, but with a very high BMI.

How far >40 are you?

Have you asked UHC what their requirements are?

My BMI was 48, now probably still 46 or so

My BMI is 46 and I have no comorbities and I was approved with no issues (thankfully). I have Tricare RS. I made sure before I submitted to insurance that I got blood work, lady exam, and doctor recommendation before hand.

Good luck!

UHC told me that I had to have a BMI over 40 if I didn't have any comorbidities. I've met all other requirements, I'm just very nervous because I know the decision is theirs.

I don't have your insurance. Not sure if what I did help.

I asked my insurance for the document that lists all requirements I have to meet in order to be approved.

It was a 25page doc - they gave me link to. Long article on what and why and how to live so I don't to not have to have the surgery and and half a page of what I have to have in order to be approved.

That half a page had all you can exspect - BMI over 40 if no comorbities; psych eval; facility meeting some defined standards with the link to approved facilities, etc.... It also had a link to the form that doctor had to fill out. My insurance wanted THAT form in THAT format and no other format.

Got approval in 30 min after rthey had all docs.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches