Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have any regrets that they did the Lapband. The closer the date the more I am freaking out. Getting ready to start my 2 week pre op diet and am having my last few sodas before I start. Having no more diet sodas for the rest of my life will be hard, but I am sure I can do it. Does everyone go through this before their surgery. I am so tired of being overweight and definitely want to change...but does it have to be so drastic...so permanent. I am so mad at myself for getting into this predicament, but if I don't do something I am afraid that I will be at the point of no return. Any thoughts or suggestions??

Hell to the NO! I do not have a single regret! I am over 2 years out and I feel great! I regularly exercise and I'm healthy. I am 50 lbs away from my goal weight and it's totally been worth it!!! I am a much happier person.

i was really apprehensive before i had surgery, but i knew i had to make a drastic change because i was miserable with my life mostly due to my weight. some of the changes have been tough, but all-in-all, i'm so glad i did it. tomorrow will be 6 months since i had surgery, and i'm down 66 pounds, 86 from my highest. i have good days and bad days, and i know it'll be a journey i have for the rest of my life; but i'd do it again in a heartbeat. i hope that helps, at least a little.

I felt the same way before and even right after I kept thinking what the heck was I thinking. I am now three weeks from surgery and feel good. I'm on pureed foods and quite honestly food just loses its charm after a while which is nice. I do miss my bubbly soda though I must admit. It's my favorite. So...yesterday I went to McDonald's and got a small hi c orange which is high in sugar but not carbonated so I felt like I was having one even though I wasn't. It's cheating but as long as I'm not doing it all the time I can give myself that treat. It's pretty simple...you'll do great!!

None. I eat what I want. I exercise. My band keeps me full; that's all I needed. Down 112lbs in 10 months and I couldn't be happier. Remember that the band isn't drastic really. You're not saying goodbye to food, you're just leaving behind the overeating, the poor eating habits, etc. and making a new lifestyle for yourself.

I was only banded 6 days ago but no regrets once I got past that horrible gas. I won't even try to sugar coat it. Very uncomfortable! I too had 2nd thoughts especially when I cheated on my two week diet. I felt like a failure already. But something had to change. About a year ago I lost 30 ish pounds (great) until I gained 45 back. ugh. We all know what we should be eating, how we should be moving our bodies but some of us need extra help.

I've found after the band (hopefully it will continue) that even though I want to eat a bunch I just can't. I get that stuffed feeling waayy earlier. Perfect! My body & head think I'm eating the same but I reduced the calories I consumed by tons. Yes, I have to choose healthy foods over bad but the desire to heal quickly gives me an extra bump.

I was a big regular pop junkie. I found some "shakey water" (powder mix) that is pretty sweet tasting and almost satisfies my pop addiction. I let some Sprite loose it's fizz a couple of days ago and tried that. Tasted alright at first but felt like I had a huge burp for hours. Not worth it at all.

Don't dwell on the negative in the past. We all gained those extra pounds throughout the years but it does not define us. You are investing in yourself right now to be healthier and happier!

I have no regrets! Zero! I was miserable with my life before surgery. And though I have not lost as much as I was thinking I would by now, I feel 100% better about myself and am doing things I did not feel comfortable doing before ie kickboxing. This surgery changed my life

I have good days and bad but I don't regret getting banded at all. It has been a helpful tool in getting healthy. Sure there are certain foods that may be difficult to eat, but the feeling of being down almost a whole person is awesome!

Thank you all for your encouraging words. I think that change is always scary and also that thought of another failed attempt at trying to lose the weight. I am looking forward to enjoying life and not always basing everything on what I will or can eat. I hope the band is the answer to my prayers and will help keep me on track so I can live a healthy happier life. And that I can shop at any store and find something that fits. I am so tired of all the plus size clothing. They think that fat people like to wear ugly clothes. I don't know about you, but I get real depressed when I shop for clothes. So here's to a good decision to get through my pre-op diet and get this surgery behind me and hello to my life. I have already said, I've lived the first 50 years of my life FAT, I want to live the last 50 thin. Thanks for all your support. I am ready for the next step!!

Anyone have any regrets that they did the Lapband. The closer the date the more I am freaking out. Getting ready to start my 2 week pre op diet and am having my last few sodas before I start. Having no more diet sodas for the rest of my life will be hard, but I am sure I can do it. Does everyone go through this before their surgery. I am so tired of being overweight and definitely want to change...but does it have to be so drastic...so permanent. I am so mad at myself for getting into this predicament, but if I don't do something I am afraid that I will be at the point of no return. Any thoughts or suggestions??

I'm newly banded (3/7). Too soon for me to think about any regrets. But, like you, mad at myself for letting myself get so overweight. Oh well, can't do anything about that, but think positive about my new life with Mister Band! I think of it like a new partner in life. I have to adjust and compromise in order to get along with it. If that means, giviing up my sodas (which I used to have 2-3 daily) then, so be it. And, you know, somewhere in these blogs, it's been mentioned that some bandsters can still drink them without a problem. Our nutritionist in our pre-op classes discouraged this though, because she said that she has heard from patients that they get terrible stomach cramps from the carbonation. So, I really don't know. You might try a sip or two of your diet drink just to test yourself (that is, once your permissioned to start your solid foods). Let me know how it goes. As early as it is for me, I have no regrets. Lost 20 lbs. beginning two weeks before my 3/7 surgery date and have lost another 6 lbs since sugery. I am already thrilled! You're going to revel with delight when you see the pounds shed. It's so exciting! :rolleyes:

I'm newly banded (3/7). Too soon for me to think about any regrets. But, like you, mad at myself for letting myself get so overweight. Oh well, can't do anything about that, but think positive about my new life with Mister Band! I think of it like a new partner in life. I have to adjust and compromise in order to get along with it. If that means, giviing up my sodas (which I used to have 2-3 daily) then, so be it. And, you know, somewhere in these blogs, it's been mentioned that some bandsters can still drink them without a problem. Our nutritionist in our pre-op classes discouraged this though, because she said that she has heard from patients that they get terrible stomach cramps from the carbonation. So, I really don't know. You might try a sip or two of your diet drink just to test yourself (that is, once your permissioned to start your solid foods). Let me know how it goes. As early as it is for me, I have no regrets. Lost 20 lbs. beginning two weeks before my 3/7 surgery date and have lost another 6 lbs since sugery. I am already thrilled! You're going to revel with delight when you see the pounds shed. It's so exciting! :rolleyes:

Wow, 26lbs already. Good for you. How was the pre-op diet. Mine is real strict. A Protein shake for Breakfast and dinner and 3oz of chicken or fish and 1 c. mixed veggies for lunch. Just Water and tea to drink. Oh and 2 cups of black coffee with sweetner. I should drop some weight with that. Were you scared the week before your surgery?

Wow, 26lbs already. Good for you. How was the pre-op diet. Mine is real strict. A Protein shake for Breakfast and dinner and 3oz of chicken or fish and 1 c. mixed veggies for lunch. Just Water and tea to drink. Oh and 2 cups of black coffee with sweetner. I should drop some weight with that. Were you scared the week before your surgery?

Okay, this is how I did it duing the two weeks before surgery. I did purchase 3 bags of the Protein Drink (chocolate, strawbery and banana). I tried drinking them. Just couldn't make myself do it. I only had 4 drinks in the first 3 days. I hated them. So, with that being said, I dieted on my own. The whole purpose of drinking the shakes is so that your liver will shrink. I understand, they want less than 5 carbs going down the hatch per day. I would eat about 2-3 oz. of chicken (roasted chicken from grocery or El Pollo Loco) and a good tossed salad. I might have a small can of tuna in Water with my salad instead of chicken, or some kind of fish (unfried or breaded, of couse) My salad would have Tomato, cucumber, carrots, avocado (2-3 tbs.), radishes, green onions and lettuce. I would use low calorie vinegar dressing (l tbs. or just dribble). I might even have 2-3 tbs. of nonfat cottage cheese in my salad. I would drink Crystal Lite. I do not like drinking water. I've tried. For snack between my meals, I would snack on raw baby carrots, or a string cheese. Breakfast, maybe a boiled egg and a Dannon nonfat Yogurt or an egg and a couple of celery stalks with 2 tbs. of Peanut Butter. And, of course, my Crystal Lite or ice tea with artificial sweetener. I stayed away from beef, pork, rice, potatoes, bread as much as possible. I AM AN AVID BREAD EATER!! Love the bread. Once or twice a week I would let myself have a slice of French bread with a "tad" of butter. I was satisfied with my food, did not go hungry; always remembering to grab something healthy when I got the urge to snack (like a tomato or some carrots, or even the sugarless popsicles or sugarless jello). Eating the above kept my carbs under 5 per day. The 20 lbs. came off quickly. Trust me, I even thought about cancelling surgery since I was doing so well. BUT, I would tell myself, will you keep this up? NOOOOO! So, I continued with the plan to have my surgery. When I see others around me eating cheeseburgers and French fries, of course, I would die to have some. Do I want to continue to be overweight? NOOOOO! My starting weight was 230 lbs. I am currently at 204 lbs. Want to get down to 135 or 130. I am going to do this. And you can do it too. My friends and relatives would ask me if I was excited about my upcoming surgery. No, I was never excited, just nervous. But, it takes some courage to make a change in your life like this. And, if your committed enough to know you want to lose the weight badly, you will do it. I am so so glad I did it. I can't think anything will stop me here on. Can't wait to get to the end of this journey!!

I've been banded for two and a half years now. I have NO REGRETS! I don't regret being able to bend over and tie my shoes without suffocating. I don't regret being able to buy normal size clothes and cute shoes. I don't regret being able to fit in a chair without feeling like I'm the stuffing for a turkey. I don't regret being able to run 4-5 miles. I don't regret being able to sit in the floor with my children and play a game. I don't regret being able to cross my legs. I don't regret being able to look in the mirror and smile. I don't regret having my children hug me and their arms fit around me. I don't regret being able to leave the aisle in an auditorium or movie and not have people cringe because they see the big, fat lady coming. And so on and so on. I love my band even when I have something stuck and it feels too tight or if I overeat and feel like I'm choking. It just reminds me that I need to slow down and eat properly. It helps me not let food control me. This band forces me to deal with my life's issue in another manner besides with food. I'm down 115 pounds and about 35 pounds from my goal. My only regret is not doing this sooner! I feel free now.

I thought giving up soda (Diet Dr. Pepper in my case) was going to be horrible. I drank it like it was Water.

It was easy in the end, so easy that I'm surprised I ever worried about it. I truly don't miss it at all. I'll tell you, I weaned myself off it with Diet Sweet Tea (made with splenda), so it was super sweet but no calorie and no carbonation. Then I got sort of tired of the tea and just stopped drinking that too.

I have no regrets. I have had to give up a total of 3 things that I loved before-- soda, beer, and french fries. That's it. Everything else I can still eat in moderation. And all of the things I can do now that I couldn't do before-- I'd give up those 3 things a million times over for everything I've gained. It's not even close.

No regrets......wait, there was that mysterious blond in college all those years ago....