Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded yesterday need support

Hi Guys,

i was banded yesterday and i am in soo much pain but i think it is because i also had a liver biopsy anyhow i am just to depressed i left the hospital with all my needs but i am sooo confused i am not sure if i am hungry or is just all the gas in my belly making the noise i am unsure what i can have my doctor said start with liquid diet so i am having Water, tea, juice and broth but anything else you guys suggest. Any tips any tips are welcome even words of comfort

Copying and Pasting from my the Guide my Dr gave me:

To ensure proper healing you must stay on an all liquid diet for the first week after your surgery. The liquid diet is a temporary diet. It helps to keep your body hydrated (body fluids, salts, and minerals) and helps to get the body used to food after surgery. The liquid diet is easy to digest and does not leave much residue in the stomach and intestines. If you are lactose intolerant or have problems with dairy products you may substitute rice milk, soy milk or almond milk products instead. For added Protein, prepare Soups and cereals with non-fat milk or plain soy milk instead of water; or add non-fat dry milk or Protein Powder to your foods. The table below will help you with your choices.

Sample Liquid Diet

These are simply suggestions. You don't need to include all these items in one meal. Breakfast Light Smooth Yogurt Lunch Cream of Tomato Soup, Jell-O with low calorie whipped topping Snack Smooth yogurt Dinner Blended cream of broccoli Soup, sugar-free pudding, non-fat milk. Snack Sugar-free Fudgesicle

There is no limit on the quantity of liquids you may have at this point although you should begin to sip slowly and stop at the first hint of fullness. It is very important not to vomit during the healing phase. If you are hungry have another cup of soup, Jell-O, pudding, or yogurt. The limitation is on the consistency of the food, not the quantity. Anything you can drink through a straw is fair game at this point. Soups with large chunks need to be blended or strained.

It is very important to do your best to stick to the liquid diet at this point.

Don't forget to take your daily chewable Multivitamin.< /em>

Weeks 1 & 2 & 3• The Liquid Diet

Choose These Foods/Beverages

Avoid These Foods/Beverages

Fruits/Juices

Flavored Water, fruit juices without pulp such as apple juice, grape juice, cranberry juice, and Nectars. Use low sugar versions. Canned, fresh, or frozen fruits. All raw fruit, dried fruit (dates, raisins), coconut. Do not use carbonated or sweetened beverages.< /span>

Soups

Broth, bouillon, fat-free consommé or strained cream soups. Tomato soup made with milk or water. Soups with vegetables, noodles, rice, meat, or other chunks of food in them. Strain these items from the soup and blend them or just have the broth. Avoid bean, gumbo, split pea, or onion soup, chunky soups and chowders.

Beverages

Ice chips, water, coffee, tea, herbal teas (hot or cold); sugar-free Kool-Aid, Crystal Light, Gatorade, Propel, Diet Snapple. Add sugar free flavorings as desired. All others. No carbonated beverages (including diet pop). No alcohol.

Sweets & Desserts

Fruit ices (without chunks of fruit), plain Gelatin, popsicles made from low sugar juices, low fat custards, and puddings, frozen low cal yogurt All others.

Vegetables

Tomato or V-8 juice. All others.

Milk & Dairy Products

Non-fat milk, smooth yogurt, yogurt smoothies, Carnation Instant Breakfast, kefir Ice cream, hard cheese.< /span>

Bread, cereals, and grain products

None All

Meat, chicken, fish, and meat substitutes (nuts, tofu, etc.)

None All

Oils, butter, margarine

None All You may add protein powders or consume Protein Drinks if you wish but since you will only be on this liquid diet for a week that is not really necessary and may result in consuming more calories.

bigggggggggg hugs your way

16 days out here

it gets better!

use gas-x!!

walk and sip

walk and sip

Hi Guys,

i was banded yesterday and i am in soo much pain but i think it is because i also had a liver biopsy anyhow i am just to depressed i left the hospital with all my needs but i am sooo confused i am not sure if i am hungry or is just all the gas in my belly making the noise i am unsure what i can have my doctor said start with liquid diet so i am having Water, tea, juice and broth but anything else you guys suggest. Any tips any tips are welcome even words of comfort

For the liquid diet, your dr. should have given you a list of what you ca*n have. You can't follow anyone else, since all docs are differnt.

Copying and Pasting from my the Guide my Dr gave me:

To ensure proper healing you must stay on an all liquid diet for the first week after your surgery. The liquid diet is a temporary diet. It helps to keep your body hydrated (body fluids, salts, and minerals) and helps to get the body used to food after surgery. The liquid diet is easy to digest and does not leave much residue in the stomach and intestines. If you are lactose intolerant or have problems with dairy products you may substitute rice milk, soy milk or almond milk products instead. For added Protein, prepare Soups and cereals with non-fat milk or plain soy milk instead of water; or add non-fat dry milk or protein powder to your foods. The table below will help you with your choices.

Sample Liquid Diet

These are simply suggestions. You don't need to include all these items in one meal. Breakfast Light Smooth Yogurt Lunch Cream of Tomato Soup, Jell-O with low calorie whipped topping Snack Smooth yogurt Dinner Blended cream of broccoli Soup, sugar-free pudding, non-fat milk. Snack Sugar-free Fudgesicle

There is no limit on the quantity of liquids you may have at this point although you should begin to sip slowly and stop at the first hint of fullness. It is very important not to vomit during the healing phase. If you are hungry have another cup of soup, Jell-O, pudding, or yogurt. The limitation is on the consistency of the food, not the quantity. Anything you can drink through a straw is fair game at this point. Soups with large chunks need to be blended or strained.

It is very important to do your best to stick to the liquid diet at this point.

Don't forget to take your daily chewable multivitamin.

Weeks 1 & 2 & 3• The Liquid Diet

Choose These Foods/Beverages

Avoid These Foods/Beverages

Fruits/Juices

Flavored Water, fruit juices without pulp such as apple juice, grape juice, cranberry juice, and Nectars. Use low sugar versions. Canned, fresh, or frozen fruits. All raw fruit, dried fruit (dates, raisins), coconut. Do not use carbonated or sweetened beverages.< /span>

Soups

Broth, bouillon, fat-free consommé or strained cream soups. Tomato soup made with milk or water. Soups with vegetables, noodles, rice, meat, or other chunks of food in them. Strain these items from the soup and blend them or just have the broth. Avoid bean, gumbo, split pea, or onion soup, chunky soups and chowders.

Beverages

Ice chips, water, coffee, tea, herbal teas (hot or cold); sugar-free Kool-Aid, Crystal Light, Gatorade, Propel, Diet Snapple. Add sugar free flavorings as desired. All others. No carbonated beverages (including diet pop). No alcohol.

Sweets & Desserts

Fruit ices (without chunks of fruit), plain Gelatin, popsicles made from low sugar juices, low fat custards, and puddings, frozen low cal yogurt All others.

Vegetables

Tomato or V-8 juice. All others.

Milk & Dairy Products

Non-fat milk, smooth yogurt, yogurt smoothies, Carnation Instant Breakfast, kefir Ice cream, hard cheese.< /span>

Bread, cereals, and grain products

None All

Meat, chicken, fish, and meat substitutes (nuts, tofu, etc.)

None All

Oils, butter, margarine

None All You may add protein powders or consume protein drinks if you wish but since you will only be on this liquid diet for a week that is not really necessary and may result in consuming more calories.

Hi Berenice... I was banded yesterday also, and am having THE WORST time. The doctor said my liver was enormous, which I'm guessing means he had to beat the hell out of me during the operation. I'm in so much pain, my entire diaphram hurts so bad I am struggling to breathe. I did the liquid diet for 3 weeks, lost over 20 pounds... why then was my liver 'large'? He told me in such a disappointed and somewhat disgusted fashion.

I'm sitting here tonight after the worst night of my life last night in the hospital with no sleep, in agony, wondering if this is all normal. I'm having trouble peeing, and I have 5 holes in my stomach, a bruise the size of an orange above my belly button, and I swear I can feel the band under the swollen lump above the giant bruise. I cough and it hurts like no other. I've had several surgeries in life, but this... has to be the worst. I feel so full of air that I might pop, it hurts so bad even into my back that I can't get comfortable.

The nurses were superb at being bitches to me, and I got in trouble for being thirsty, and 'drinking to much'. HUH???? What the f*cking HELL!!!! She said I could displace the band if I drank too much. Are you kidding me? I've been sipping all day but feel so full that it's hard to do even that. I'm down right thirsty. I have no nausea though.. Thank God for small miracles. Is any of this normal? I'm in absolute AGONY....

Do people really go get this done and pop out like some track star on steroids??? Cuz I feel like the shit on a shoe and am scared to death, not to mention exhausted from just breathing.