Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery date moved UP....need a pep talk (long, sorry)

okay, PA just called and told me my surgeon is going to be gone for two weeks in May and one week is when my surgery was scheduled. They can move it up to April 18th.

FREAKING....

Anyhow, I really need a pep talk. Of course I'm scared of the surgery thing but I'm also scared of the lifestyle change...even though I'm prepared for it, if that makes sense. This is huge, and I'm getting some really cold feet here. I know I want to do this by my emotions are getting the best of me right now. I'm looking for some reassurance that this is "good." I know the rules etc., etc., etc., I know I have to make the decision for myself, I guess I'm just looking for "this is the best thing I've ever done for myself" pep talk. I am taking this cancellation from the doctor as a good sign that I'm supposed to get this done sooner than later and I'm supposed to get my new life started. I know there are going to be ups and downs and I'm semi prepared for all of that (can you ever be fully prepared). I was originally scheduling May because it would be after my son's birthday party but April 18th gives me 4 weeks till his party so I should be pretty okay by then physically, right? I'm just a basket case right now because it is really happening and can be done in 6 weeks.

Pep talk please....I even need to know the negative stuff. My sister just sent me the best email and the jist of it was if she were in my shoes, she would do it (she knows how long I've been struggling). My sister has two kids and is still a size 6 or 8. She said she was so scared when she got her lasik eye surgery but it was something she wanted so badly for her confidence and that is how I feel about this band surgery. She told me how much more confident I will feel but she understands my "concerns" because of the risks with any surgery. If I want to be thin again, I will make this work for me. She told me that I won't be sorry I did it when I reach my first goal of not having to shop in the chubby chic section and I will feel so much better not only mentally but physically too.

No regrets for the most part, right? I know the risks, I know the ups and downs, I know it is a mind-set and i have to work it I just need some real encouragement because I'm scared, excited, terrified and more terrified. I can't believe that I am "here" and getting this done......

sorry for blubbering but I just need to vent and thanks for listening.....

P.S. my mother just sends me a text message saying ... "don't forget this is in your mind, Annie had hers done 8 years ago and is almost back to where she started." Thanks for the encouragement mom....

Of course it is normal to have second thoughts. But it is SO worth it. I was very depressed for many years, mostly because of who I was and what I looked like. During the psych eval, I had to lie, so I would not seem as depressed as I actually was. I'd tried Jenny Craig and WW and lost weight but went off of it and gained the weight back. This surgery changed my life and perhaps saved it. I thought about suicide many times. (sorry to give you my sob story) but since I've had this surgery, thought my weight lo

ss has been a bit slower than I would like it to be, I decided to change my life. I've increased my activity, changed my hair, am more outgoing, and began accepting complements. I've accepted a request to go kickboxing with a friend at work who has been asking me to go for the better part of a year. I feel great! Of course I want to lose more weight but I am happy with myself now. I have not been depressed since surgery (except for one day this

week when I made a mistake at work).

I never thought I would be at the surgery point either. I contemplated gastric bypass like 4 years ago but chickened out and said I could do it myself. Kind of annoyed I did not look into lap band sooner.

I feel this surgery helped me greatly. Not sure if is the surgery itself or the fact that I feel that I can do this now. So if you're not happy with yourself as you are now, I say go for it, things can only get better for you!

I understand the cold feet and the doubts, I too got them but mine was a few days before surgery.

First things first: breathe, breathe, and really, take a deep breath.

I'm not going to go into anything long, but I will say that I don't regret having my band placed for anything. Yes I eat too fast sometimes and I get an uncomfy feeling and may PB, yes it can be a little tighter during my period, but it really has changed my life. I'm not like most here; never got a fill, never wanted one. I wanted to learn how to eat. I needed that *something* to keep me full, and the band has done that for me.

112lbs down in about 9 months; down from a size 20 to a possible size 2 (4s are getting loose). I'd have never imagined as I've never been small.

But in my head it's not even about all of that. I feel so much better. I can do things now and not feel winded or out of place. While I am still a big foody, I've learned that all foods are okay in moderation. I've found *healthier* replacements for foods I used to indulge in. Keep in mind that getting banded doesn't mean you're parting with food. It really is about learning how to eat, and what works best for you.

Good luck. I say go for it! You seem ready mentally; you'll get there emotionally :)

This is without a doubt the best thing I have ever done for myself. Do I wish I had done it sooner? Yes, and no. Yes, because it has been such a positive, life-changing event and no, because I don't think I was mentally ready for this journey until now. From everything you have written, it sounds like you have done your homework and have realistic expectations of what the band will do for you as well as the fact that you have to play a big part in the process.

From my time on these boards, that is the biggest thing I have noticed is that not all surgeons adequately prepare their patients for the reality of living with a lap-band - it does require a lot of work on your part and most likely you will have a period of time before you reach adequate restriction where you feel like you are doing this all on your own (I am one of the lucky ones who had restriction from the get-go and actually just last week had my first fill) but the challenges of this journey are certainly worth it when you see the numbers on the scale going down and your clothes getting looser.

Good luck to you!

It is perfectly normal to be scared. Im not going to lie. I drove almost 4 hours to get to my surgery clinic and the night before thought about bolting! But I told myself it has been a long journey in life down the unhealty road and it was time to do somthing good for my life. I went thru with the surgery and the moment I woke up I told the nurse " I wish I were born skinny" she laughed and told me "you were but it was the wrong choices that got you here but not to worry that this will be by far the BEST decision you ever made for your self" I believe she was right. It is only day 15 for me and I am already loving it! I dont have a fill yet but just knowing that I have made the best choice really helps! I have lost a total of 11.9lbs since my surery and I enjoy every second I have now. I think most of the enjoyment is the fact that one day I will be healthy and be able to get out and enjoy life rather than feeling sorry for my fat self. I know Im not the best motivational speaker there is but I will tell you that this decision can change your life and be ONE of the best decisions you ever make. I have had no complication (even had a hernia repair with lapband) and feel great!!! Good luck on your journey and we are all ehere to help keep you motivated before and after.

I have no regrets. All of the changes I've made in my life have been for the better. I feel better, I look better, I'm more active and more willing to try new things-- and I don't miss food because I still eat what I like (just not as much or as often if it's unhealthy).

This is great news for you! Everything happens for a reason. It was meant to be that you will be banded sooner than you thought. Take it! Run with it! This means good things will happen for you sooner! I am so happy for you! :bananajump:

Getting banded has only improved my life. I feel so much better about myself. I think most of the time the pre-surgery fear is much worse than anything. You will do great! Keep a positive attitude and go for it! You can do this!

I have no regrets either! I had cold feet on my way to the surgical center and told my dad to just make a u-turn and go back home. I cried the whollllllle time they were preparing me for surgery. I even backed out of surgery room and told everyone I dont want to do this. I didn't want to get on the table and then we started talking about vegas.....and boom i was asleep. I even cried when I woke up and went straight for my stomach to see what it looked like. I felt confused and said I can't believe I DID IT!

This is considered a major life change. Of course you're nervous! Make a list of all the pros and cons for having this surgery. You had reasons for doing this. You just need to be able to pull those reasons out every so often and remind yourself that your reasons have not changed.

I say go for it. I was banded 4 weeks ago and feel great. I kinda had a freak out too when I got my surgery date Bain e I was paying for it myself instead of insurance. I had it ony 2 weeks after we initial consult. It has been one ofthe best things I have ever done. I had some gas the first few days and it was very uncomfortable. But ow I am on pretty much regular foods, am exercising which I never could do before and already getting into clothes I couldn't wear before. So. I think you should do it!

I had started the process and waited 2 years before the day finally came to be banded. A herd of horses could not drag me away from what I had looked forward to for so long.

I was also afraid, that if I missed the opportunity, I would regret it for the rest of my life!

I was banded in October and it's been one of the best decisions of my life! The day before the surgery I was nervous, wondering if I was doing the right thing, maybe I should try dieting without the band before undergoing surgery, etc. The first few days after surgery were uncomfortable, but by 10 days post-op I was at the gym (doing the bike and treadmill) and I felt really good.

Good luck!!