Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

one less bad food on my list!

I don't necessarily disagree with Spartan. I have made a decision to get healthy and that does not include eating fast food. Salads at these places are loaded with hidden calories!

Have I been in a bind and had no other options? Yes. But that is the exception. I don't consciously think "Oh, I am going to go to DD today and get ________". My job has me on the road a lot, almost everyday. But I have not been to McD's, Wendy's, DD....since September. I have been able to find alternatives even in podunk Maine. I'll go into a sandwich shop and order a sandwhich, toss the bread and eat the meat and cheese....or get. 1/4 cup of chicken salad.

I think the point is that for some of us, we can't have the same behaviors we had that led us to be obese in the first place. Many on this board harp about supporting new folks.....and if a newbie reads some of these posts, they may learn how to eat around the band and that it is "okay". Well it may be okay for you, but it isn't for me. I worked too damn hard to get this far (and have a ways to go) to risk my success for some crappy fast food.

As far as foods getting stuck and then avoiding them....I had haddock last night and I felt it. Man was it uncomfortable! I am going to try again to figure out if I ate to fast and didn't chew enough (which I did!!). But the other day, sugar snap peas got caught up!!!

Just my opinion........

Its everyones choice where they eat and what they eat but like Spartan in the long run its also going to cause you big problems then you will be wondering why you are not losing weight. I dont go to fast food restuarants ever because they dont have items I wish to eat. I get up earlier in the morning if I am hungry and cook an egg or drink a Protein Shake because fast food is not what we need to be eating. If Im out I make sure before I go that I have eaten enough that I wont get hungry. Everyone's choice is their choice I just choose to not patron those places. Those places are the reason why we all are like we are. I make sure I take what I need with me if I know Im going out for the day. Its not hard

I think the orriginal poster ate something bad, learned her lesson and won't do it again.

Everyone will make bad choices at some point, but there is no need for a comment like Spatan's. It was ugly and uncalled for.

WOOOOOOOOOW Spartan seriously? no one asked for your rudeness!

Obviously, I am only 3 months out of surgery and is learning everyday what to eat. Like below, I ate something bad and now learned my lesson. Practice makes perfect right?

So question, if you want to be smart and a fool let me ask you Spartan? Why couldn't you eat lettuce and eat HEALTHY before you hit your highest weight? WHY DID YOU GET YOURSELF TO WEIGHT SO MUCH AND GET LAPBAND? Im going to leave it to that, because I havn't hit that high horse yet :P

I think the orriginal poster ate something bad, learned her lesson and won't do it again.

Everyone will make bad choices at some point, but there is no need for a comment like Spatan's. It was ugly and uncalled for.

Hahaha-- Spartan, you're absolutely precious. Let me give you your official "food police" badge that you can wear attached firmly to your chest. You go, you born again food and fitness evangelist! Thank you for preaching to us sinners.

:lol:

Hi guys

first time poster here but have been reading since being banded in August 2010,here in New Zealand.

I have never really been compelled to particpate as any questions I have had are either answered on here or are just common sense.

I really dont see Spartans initial post as harsh at all,infact some very valid points are raised.

I continually read about what people are eating and am regularly surprised and somtimes shocked,I'm talking about the everyday diet not the meal on a weekend that happens ocasionally...and I am not saying I am perfect.

I also struggle with the fact people cant eat some things?,I can eat everything if I chew it properly,like a blender..sure if I rush my band reminds me to slow down...if you blended you problem foods could you not eat them then?,if so isnt it the chewing or lack of?

I had alot of sucess pre op,and then following through to the solid food stage.

I maintained weight over christmas by not eating the volumes I used to but didn't lose any more...

I felt dispondent for a while but thought atleast I wasnt gaining weight again - I was making good food choices though.,but then while soul searching and really looking at what the band is I managed to get back on track to where I am happily losing 2.5-4lbs per week.

To do this I stepped up my training - big time.

Eat very clean

I have found the band and excercise has provided the Portion Control, although somtimes I feel i could just keep eating.

I think my experience is not what I was lead to believe it would be,but I have used self control and sucess storys on here as motivation and the fact I paid 20k for the surgery.

I think my sucess is 90% me and 10% band.

Its just a tool to help you achieve your goal,we can all still eat too much and make poor choices it is up to us to not give in to our old ways.

It is a life choice to change,not one that we can choose when it suits us.

Andrew

I agree with you 100%.

But this was not a post where the OP eats bad everyday.

I see those posts also about eating whatever they want. Most of the time I ignore them or suggest lower calories or more exerciise. It's not my place or anyone elses to Judge them or make them feel stupid.

Spartan more often than not makes awful comments than good ones. please don't defend him.

For comic relief; one day preband I was heading to the gym it's lunch I have'nt eaten and am starving. Gym's in the middle of nowhere but does have a Dunkin Donuts next door. I go in and ask for one of the morning wraps: egg whites, no wrap, and no cheese! The kid looked at me like I was a nut! "Let me get this straight so you only want the egg part?" Yes. "How do I charge you for that?" Me "That's okay it's only a dollar to start with."

Two things that have gotten stuck: baby carrots, and left over grilled BBQ turkey tips (that were super dry from microwaving). Since baby carrots are 1/2 of my veggie intake I had to learn how to eat them carefully. Last time I got the Turkey tips I ask the server for extra BBQ Sauce so that when I heated up my left overs I could moisten them up.

I agree with you 100%.

But this was not a post where the OP eats bad everyday.

I see those posts also about eating whatever they want. Most of the time I ignore them or suggest lower calories or more exerciise. It's not my place or anyone elses to Judge them or make them feel stupid.

Spartan more often than not makes awful comments than good ones. please don't defend him.

Hey Jenn,

I personally didn't read anything in the post that indicated this was a one time event. In fact, the OP said she loves the wraps and got one that morning. That to me indicated (and perhaps to Spartan) that this is a choice she makes frequently but now won't make that choice because she had a stuck episode - it isn't that she decided to never have one again because they are unhealthy.

I'm not defending Spartan nor judging his/her comment. I'm just pointing out that I read the original post the same way. I think open dialog is a good thing and when you post on a forum, you should expect to receive the gamut of responses. I don't think suggesting someone makes awful comments is really fair or non-judging. You said in your post that judging is not your place. With all due respect, I just think it is a matter of practicing what you preach.

No I dont judge people on their weight gain or loss or if they stay the same. I support people just like people have supported me.

I take a personal issue with Spartan because in a previous post he said "thats why military men would rather be deployed than spend time with their wives."

Seeing how I am a military wife, that statement pissed me off! Everything he says has no value to me. What a stupid thing to assume!

So yep I have zero tolernce for someone like that!

For comic relief; one day preband I was heading to the gym it's lunch I have'nt eaten and am starving. Gym's in the middle of nowhere but does have a Dunkin Donuts next door. I go in and ask for one of the morning wraps: egg whites, no wrap, and no cheese! The kid looked at me like I was a nut! "Let me get this straight so you only want the egg part?" Yes. "How do I charge you for that?" Me "That's okay it's only a dollar to start with."

Two things that have gotten stuck: baby carrots, and left over grilled BBQ turkey tips (that were super dry from microwaving). Since baby carrots are 1/2 of my veggie intake I had to learn how to eat them carefully. Last time I got the Turkey tips I ask the server for extra BBQ Sauce so that when I heated up my left overs I could moisten them up.

Lol nice what a combo! Gym/Dunkin Donuts!

Just because I said I Iove the wraps, doesnt mean I eat it everyday, CheckYes! ALMOST every post Spartan has is negative or being rude. Again, this is the internet but you can tell when one writes a certain way. Plus, this thread was supposed to be about if anyone had a favorite food that they can not eat anymore because of getting stuck. NOT because they chose not to have it. Again, obviously we are on this site and have lapband if we knew how to control our appetite and food choices in the first place.

Im still waiting for Spartan to answer my previous question.................... I hope he/she got kicked off, cuz I know I clicked that negative button :P

I am not here judge others. I think the comments posted in this thread may be insensative tobut I get the message.

SInce being banded I have made a choice to eat healthy, avoid alcohol and all fast food and follow my dr's orders to the letter. I am down 70 lbs and am 13 weeks post op.

But I will tell you I have a friend who was banded a few weeks before me and she eats and drinks pretty much what she did before her surgery just a much smaller abount. She is being semi careful and trying to make healthy choices most of the time. But she is a foodie... she loves the tast, textures and everything about food. She has lost 45 lbs....25 lbs less than I have. Still a very good loss... it just may take her more time than me. Thats not a bad thing .... just different and it drives me crazy when I am sitting at my desk eating tuna and cottage cheese and she has a piece of last nights pizza!!! But its not my place to weigh in with an opinion.... so I remember what Mother said... if you dont have something nice to say..... and keep my mouth shut.

I personally didn't read anything in the post that indicated this was a one time event. In fact, the OP said she loves the wraps and got one that morning. That to me indicated (and perhaps to Spartan) that this is a choice she makes frequently but now won't make that choice because she had a stuck episode - it isn't that she decided to never have one again because they are unhealthy.

Sure, yes.

But that's part of what the band does-- helps people learn and makes it easier to make healthy choices. Why does it ultimately matter why she isn't eating the wraps anymore? In the end, the band helped her learn a better choice.

Eating unhealthy food-- enjoying it on occasion-- is not a moral failure. I think we all need to take a moment for a self-reality check before we get on that very high horse and judge other people's reasons for deciding not to eat something.

I will straight up say-- if I could still eat french fries without getting a stuck feeling, I would. *Gasp* :) Every once in a while, I would eat 1 or 2 fries (that's all my appetite would ever allow after my protein) just for the shear enjoyment of the taste. That does not make me a bad person or a band failure.

Thank you Stateofzen! 1 or 2 times isn't going to make us a failure. If I want it, I will have it. Just have to workout more or harder for the next couple days. Its not going to kill me. Why should I make myself miserable and then binge? But then again, the band wont let me binge :)

Geez people these days.