Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about TT?????

I just got approved from my insurance for my TT. YAY!!! But now is the scary part. I have no idea what to expect.

How long do the drains stay in?

When they remove the drains do they stitch up the holes where they were or do they let them heal from the inside out?

What is the onQ pack/pouch?

How long should I be out of work? (I sit at a desk all day)

How far from goal should I be before surgery? I am 15 pounds from goal I dont want to have my TT then lose the other 15 pounds and have saggy stomach again.

I know I can do this I have had 2 c-sections and my lap band so I am not to terribly worried about the pain.

Any answers would be appreciated.

See my answers in red.

I just got approved from my insurance for my TT. YAY!!! But now is the scary part. I have no idea what to expect.

How long do the drains stay in? One of my drains stayed in for 3 days, and the other for about 7.

When they remove the drains do they stitch up the holes where they were or do they let them heal from the inside out? The holes where my drains were didn't require stitches

What is the onQ pack/pouch? That's the best thing in the world. It's an instant numbing medication that drips over the internal muscle tightening stitches which is the most painful area of a Tummy Tuck (for me anyways). You push a button and the anesthesia drips over the inside so you can push it right before you have to get up, or after you sneeze, or anytime you want instant numbing on those internal stitches. It was the best thing in the world and I highly recommend it.

How long should I be out of work? (I sit at a desk all day) I would plan on 2-3 weeks because it may take that long to feel human again and you may not want to wear much or regular clothing before then.

How far from goal should I be before surgery? I am 15 pounds from goal I dont want to have my TT then lose the other 15 pounds and have saggy stomach again. Not sure, ask your plastic surgeon. Mine wanted my weight to be stable for 6 months before the procedure so that my nutrition levels were where they needed to be for optimum healing.

I know I can do this I have had 2 c-sections and my lap band so I am not to terribly worried about the pain.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Sue

Congratulations!!! Everywhere I read outside of this forum says that no way insurance will pay for a TT so it gives me hope that my insurance will possible pay for mine when the time comes.

I had an on q pump with my lapband surgery. Mine was tubes inserted through a small incision which led to a bag of medicine which was in a zippered pouch that could be hung around your neck or possibly your waist. Mine was a constant drip no button to push, I think it would be better to have a button, the constant drip it leaked and would soak my shirts but it was nice to have and I do think it helped with the pain.

Good luck to you!!

How long did it take from the time your information was submitted to insurance until you got approved? Also what kind of insurance did you have? Just wondering. I have bcbs of Alabama and my information was submitted last week. I know they told me 4-6 weeks, but I am hoping that since this is the 2nd time (the first time I had not had the insurance long enough) that it might not take as long. I am happy for you!! =)

Wow i can actually answer this question! Having just had my TT 6wks ago yesterday! Its surreal!

First thing to remember is that everyone is different and every PS has her/his own postop methods.

DRAINS?

With that said, drains stay in (if ur PS uses drains) until you're draining amounts low enough. Their purpose is to prevent seromas and infection which obviously inhibit optimal healing. btw they are usually placed in the pubic mound.

For my PS this was 30ml per day. For me this took a month angry.gif. That all changed when my PS informed me that wls patients usually drain for longer because of our low calorie intake. So I upped my calories and within a week they were removed. They do not stitch up the drain holes, they close on their own. I've heard it likened to a pin cushion, the tissue just fills the space.

I didnt get a pain pump just a heaping bottle of percocet. BTW the pain is seriousblink.gif. when it subsides there is a tightness that replaces it.

Back to work?

I sit at a desk as well but I wasnt ready to go back for a month. I live in NYC where mass transpo is king, parking is scarce, and the term City Block was coined. I could not commute. Subway stairs are evil. The healing process is ALOT longer than most people think.

Goal Weight?

Ask your PS. I am still about 20-25 from goal and she said not to worry about losing anymore before surgery. The general wisdom is that there is a 50lb buffer in either direction. Idk if Im completely convinced, but 15lbs is small. Remember, you will lose some during the surgery. My dr removed 8lbs of extra skin. Wowzers.

If you want hundreds of play by plays of the healing process, mental and physical, visit makemeheal.com. be aware that they are also a commerce site and will try to sell u lots of stuff. Stick to the forum and photo section. also Tuckthattummy.com has good info.

@Fordgal88: I have BCBS prism (or something) it took them 2 weeks to approve (one of which was a holiday week, so really a week). My PS even threw in a mons lift!

My husband has been laid off from work and insurance at my work is too expensive so we had no choice but to get state offered health insurance (Maine Care) and they paid for my Lap Band which was approved in 2 days and my Tummy Tuck which was approved in 3 days. My PS is throwing in a little extra work as well he did the same for my cousin. He is going to remove excess back skin and vag skin so I will be one sexy mama lol

Hello and congratulations on the insurance approval! My insurance also payed for my TT w/MR, the doc also gave me a little Lipo as an extra bonus. You've received some excellent responses. I'll just respond based on my personal experience which will in many cases duplicate what others have said.

How long do the drains stay in? My drains stayed in for 6 days.

When they remove the drains do they stitch up the holes where they were or do they let them heal from the inside out? No stitching, the holes heal perfectly fine on their own.

What is the onQ pack/pouch? I had the pack and loved it. It automatically and continuously delivers a local anesthetic to the incision site. The pack lasted about 4 days - the doc removed it when he pulled the drains - I could have removed it myself had I realized how easy it was.

How long should I be out of work? (I sit at a desk all day) I also had a desk job and stayed off for 3 weeks, I really could have gone back after 2 weeks. I spent the extra week building my strength and taking little outings during the day - shopping to grow accustomed to being up and about for hours at a time.

How far from goal should I be before surgery? I am 15 pounds from goal I dont want to have my TT then lose the other 15 pounds and have saggy stomach again. I was 20 pounds from goal at the time of surgery. I'm almost 3 months out and am now 8 pounds from goal.

My drains were in for only 2 days ( because i went back home and my doc doesnt like patients leaving the hos with them ) but when I was swollen with too much liquids I had to have them put in again and I drained for a week and then I was fine. If you are tightly wrapped it won't happen often.

Since the drains are so small you dont need a stitch to cover the area once taken out usually ( I did have a staple put in the second time)

I have no idea what the onQ pack/pouch is. I never had my muscles touched during surgery so it wasn't that painful for me

As for time off work. At first I had a mini tt and was off for 5 days. It was the most boring time of my life. I didn't need that much time off ( I mostly sit all day at work).

My other times I didnt take any time off work, but would take it easy at work. I would sit and lie down through out the day. Lying down is the best sitting is ok but can bother your stomach some with the wrap. It depends on how much work you are getting on your muscles I guess and if you are getting Lipo.< /p>

I have no feeling in my stomach from tons of lipo so my tt wasn't that painful

I got my tt about 10-15 pounds from goal. I am not sure I will ever get to goal it seems nearly impossible.

Hope the surgery goes well :)