Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band with "modified" gastric plication

3/23 Surgery - Fix lap band and gastric plication.

My doctor found that my lap band had been flopping around in there! My band would stay in place if it didn't have much Fluid. As soon as I had Fluid put in where I would get a nice restriction it would move/flop around and then I would have to have fluid removed. He restritched the lap band down.

I also had the gastric plication. (folds in stomach stitched) But after two days I couldn't get anything down! I was told I could not leave the hospital until I could get some fluid down. After two days my doctor had to go back in and take the stitches of the plication out! Dr said my stomach was so swollen and that's why I could not get even an ounce of fluid down.

My body just seems to swell a lot and that was the problem. I have to say that even when I had the lap band originally put in back in 09 I was very swollen then too - just from that.

My band always worked for me until it slipped, then was flopping around. Now that the band is back in place I will be fine. I was hoping the plication would work since I hear you lose lbs quickly. I will just have to be patient!

lastchance4me we were banded the same month weren't we i remember your name (I just posted in sept 09 thread my updates). I had the same EXACT thing happen to me - basically something changed last year and it took this long to figure it out. When i would get too ttight it would look like a slip release it and its fine. Just had a revision this past saturday and they did the plication. Frankly my dr made it sound like nothing and this surgery was quickly planned so that I can also go on a trip. I trust my doc but i have questions like can you now have dumping syndrome that happens w/ the bypass patients?

Was your revision as painful as mine it felt 40 times worse than the first one immediately post op I had to go on some serious pain meds. and stayed extra. BUT now - its different more abdominal cramping (they also did a liver biopsy unrelated to this). They fixed a hernia and a small slip (basically had to replace the whole system as i had too much scarring and adhesions to reposition it). I am down 60 lbs but not at my low of down 72 lbs. Last year ups and down. or steady state really. But when they loosened the band boy i gain like 3 lbs a week!

3/23 Surgery - Fix lap band and gastric plication.

My doctor found that my lap band had been flopping around in there! My band would stay in place if it didn't have much Fluid. As soon as I had Fluid put in where I would get a nice restriction it would move/flop around and then I would have to have fluid removed. He restritched the lap band down.

I also had the gastric plication. (folds in stomach stitched) But after two days I couldn't get anything down! I was told I could not leave the hospital until I could get some fluid down. After two days my doctor had to go back in and take the stitches of the plication out! Dr said my stomach was so swollen and that's why I could not get even an ounce of fluid down.

My body just seems to swell a lot and that was the problem. I have to say that even when I had the lap band originally put in back in 09 I was very swollen then too - just from that.

My band always worked for me until it slipped, then was flopping around. Now that the band is back in place I will be fine. I was hoping the plication would work since I hear you lose lbs quickly. I will just have to be patient!

Hi Hmarko,

I was in a lot of pain after the restiching and plication. As I said earlier I couldn't get anything down so dr took out plication stiches. So, it was two surgeries in three days. Since I was in the hospital for three nights/four days I was on lots of pain meds via I.V. so I didn't hurt much until I got home then I started to hurt a lot. It felt like I had done 1,000 sit ups!

It has been three weeks today since the last surgery and I am just now feeling back to normal. Still hurting a little but better. I am a little disappointed that I was not able to keep the plication.

I just had my first appt with my doctor this last Tuesday. He told me he also replaced the port. (I wondered why I was hurting around my port area too!)

He did my first fill - I think about 2 cc's which has done nothing for me. I have NO restriction. I'm scheduled to go back in a month but I may try and get in sooner since this fill is doing nothing for me.

I think you must be in a lot of pain due to all the other procedures you had.

You have done so well you'll soon start losing again. Hang in there you'll feel better soon.

Has to be different then what I had.

But now you understand the way he put my band in place permanently.

Shirley.

Everytime I see that woof picture I always smile.

Hi Lastchance i'm still in the codeine haze (now its gone) but it didn't sink in that yours was undone - i can't even imagine how I would feel having TWO surgeries! That is way worse! Glad you are feeling better - i do think this plication stops what you are feeling re bandster hell but I don't know what the complications are from what i read they are what you had - it appears quick onset but i don't know. I was told it is low risk and didn't do my own research the decision was made fairly quick to go ahead and revise, but I do trust my surgeon - it was an hour of discussion b/t her me and the NP that looks after me too. Anyway regarding the pain they really didn't manage it as they should have so it got bad - I wasn't on any painkillers at all until it got really bad - then they added morphine and that did nothing but allow me to stop freaking out and calling the night nurse every hour; so they added percocet and toradol too after i freaked out and emailed my doc first thing Sunday AM. It basically got out of hand where w/ you it sounds like they were on top of it not waiting for you to ask. Also w/ me they didn't LET me get anything down for a full 24 hours nothing but ICE chips until the barium swallow which did go down much to my surprise. SO I was on icechips more or less 24 hours post op. Then i was able to drink Water and brother woo hoo.

Hi Hmarko,

I was in a lot of pain after the restiching and plication. As I said earlier I couldn't get anything down so dr took out plication stiches. So, it was two surgeries in three days. Since I was in the hospital for three nights/four days I was on lots of pain meds via I.V. so I didn't hurt much until I got home then I started to hurt a lot. It felt like I had done 1,000 sit ups!

It has been three weeks today since the last surgery and I am just now feeling back to normal. Still hurting a little but better. I am a little disappointed that I was not able to keep the plication.

I just had my first appt with my doctor this last Tuesday. He told me he also replaced the port. (I wondered why I was hurting around my port area too!)

He did my first fill - I think about 2 cc's which has done nothing for me. I have NO restriction. I'm scheduled to go back in a month but I may try and get in sooner since this fill is doing nothing for me.

I think you must be in a lot of pain due to all the other procedures you had.

You have done so well you'll soon start losing again. Hang in there you'll feel better soon.

lastchance4me we were banded the same month weren't we i remember your name (I just posted in sept 09 thread my updates). I had the same EXACT thing happen to me - basically something changed last year and it took this long to figure it out. When i would get too ttight it would look like a slip release it and its fine. Just had a revision this past saturday and they did the plication. Frankly my dr made it sound like nothing and this surgery was quickly planned so that I can also go on a trip. I trust my doc but i have questions like can you now have dumping syndrome that happens w/ the bypass patients?

Was your revision as painful as mine it felt 40 times worse than the first one immediately post op I had to go on some serious pain meds. and stayed extra. BUT now - its different more abdominal cramping (they also did a liver biopsy unrelated to this). They fixed a hernia and a small slip (basically had to replace the whole system as i had too much scarring and adhesions to reposition it). I am down 60 lbs but not at my low of down 72 lbs. Last year ups and down. or steady state really. But when they loosened the band boy i gain like 3 lbs a week!

About dumping syndrome- it has to do with the pyloric valve. In gastric by-pass the small pouch does not have this pouch, and so food high in carbohydrates (sugars) pass through way too quickly and "dump" out of the system. This is why there is no dumping syndrome with the sleeve or band, so I would imagine that there would be no dumping syndrome with the plication.

My daughter and I are both planning to be banded within the next month to month and half; my daughter went yesterday for her H&P yesterday with the surgeon and he told her he has started to do lapband with gastric plication and offered this to her. He stated that his practice have seen fantastic results; banded patients are having the similar dramatic weight loss results initially that gastric bypass patients do. He said this dual procedure has been done for about a year at the Cleveland Clinic. Sounds exciting; I'd be interested in hearing some opinions/thoughts/success stories.

Thanks

Scuffy

My surgeon has also seen positive results in lap band with plication so I'm planning to have this done - packet just submitted to insurance company but thinking surgery will be in mid June,

I had banded plication surgery on the 6th. Ive only lost 6 pounds. I thought it would be more. the swelling seems to be down. about 700 calories a day. I am getting my Proteins. Anyone else slow losing? or is this normal?

I had this done december 30th. I'm still swollen. Also can you pop your stitches if u eat too much ? I don't get a fill until feb 21st. But I was curious if anyone has had complications with this surgery. I'm still tender on both sides of my stomach. Especially the port area.

I had this done december 30th. I'm still swollen. Also can you pop your stitches if u eat too much ? I don't get a full until feb 21st. But I was curious if anyone has had complications with this surgery. I'm still tender on both sides of my stomach. Especially the port area.

I am having this done in 8 days, I will ask my surgeon about stretching the stitches..........the port area is actually attached to the abdomen muscles- I anticipate that will take a little longer to heal...be sure to contact your doc and make sure you do not have an infection.....

Well part of the reason im still sore is from getting hit in the stomach with a chair at work by accident. I went back to work after 10 days. My job is easy but rquires stretching , reaching, and my tummy hits the poker table a lot bc i have to reach....im too darn short! But i did eat too much lastnight, i didnt get sick but i felt miserable and belched alot! I laid down on my left side held my pillow for a couple hours beore i felt somewhat normal again....vowed not to eat too much again... guess we all learn thehard way.

Well part of the reason im still sore is from getting hit in the stomach with a chair at work by accident. I went back to work after 10 days. My job is easy but rquires stretching , reaching, and my tummy hits the poker table a lot bc i have to reach....im too darn short! But i did eat too much lastnight, i didnt get sick but i felt miserable and belched alot! I laid down on my left side held my pillow for a couple hours beore i felt somewhat normal again....vowed not to eat too much again... guess we all learn thehard way.

Becareful girl! what type of foods are you eating now? figured you'd start the mushies only???

Im on mushie/semi solids...im eating tuna fish . Scrambbled eggs, string cheese chewed really well. Yogurt. Soy Snacks that practiclly melt in your mouth .

Im on mushie/semi solids...im eating tuna fish . Scrambbled eggs, string cheese chewed really well. Yogurt. Soy Snacks that practiclly melt in your mouth .

well let me know how you are doing.....Keep it up and you will do great!