Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band with "modified" gastric plication

Surgeon is going to do lap band on 3/21 and would like to do a modified gastric plication. By that he means folding stomach in half and stitching it, not the actual gastric plication where they invert your stomach (folD) and double stitch. Has anyone heard of it or have any research data on it, or had it done? Thanks

A friend of mine is going to get this done in Utah. I guess it is a way of having insurance pay for lapband but getting plication. So she is getting both. Don't know if that helps.

Surgeon is going to do lap band on 3/21 and would like to do a modified gastric plication. By that he means folding stomach in half and stitching it, not the actual gastric plication where they invert your stomach (folD) and double stitch. Has anyone heard of it or have any research data on it, or had it done? Thanks

How is this different from the old stomach stapling? I'd ask because there were many problems with sectioning off the stomach but leaving it intact (had to do with the stomach trying to heal through the staples)...which is why they do the vertical sleeve now. I'd check into all the pros and cons of this plication before agreeing.

Maybe having Gastric Plication at the end of March. I have had the band for a year. The first 7 months was perfect. Lost 35 pounds. Then my band slipped. Doctor unfilled band and it went back into place. Waited a month then started back with putting small amounts in. But whenever the band would get close to where it was when I had my sweet spot - the band would start to slip again. Then I would have to have Fluid removed AGAIN! This has been going on for months. So I am having my band either restitched or replaced in a couple of weeks. My doctor also wants to do a Gastric Plication. He seems to think that it will help me tremendously. The info I can find on GP is that it is a good procedure and works well. The only problem is that it hasn't been around in the US long but has been done for awhile in Europe and Brazil.

I found some good info on the Cleveland Clinic website.

Well I'll be...... That's what I had done, he just never told me the name of it.

This band is stitched in place do to a fold or flap, and it prevents slippage wright?

If I'm wright, I had this for 5 years, and it never slipped. You can feel the pressure

on the upper part of the stomach, but you get use to it as it heals, or breaks in.

It is a good thing. Your band won't slip at all. I think they should all be done like this.

Get back to me after your surgery. I want to see what you think of it, keep in touch O.K...

Shirley.

Go to youtube if you are interested, and you csn see this.

Not sure if this wae done to me.

Is this what you are talking about but done under the band?

My doc has done this with some patients and I have considered it but not sure if a doctor in Canada would take me on a patient with this done as wel as the band.

Is this what you are talking about but done under the band?

My doc has done this with some patients and I have considered it but not sure if a doctor in Canada would take me on a patient with this done as wel as the band.

It would be more like a solid waiste band, with the band going threw it, and then snapped in place. Thus the band can't slip.

When the band is snapped in place, extra tissue is pulled over the band, and the tissue is then stitched together, becoming almost impossible to slip.

You would have to rip all that stitching loose to slip.

Henry Ford Bariatric Center in Detroit, takes the Canadian Ins. Dr Jeffrey Genaw Chief Surgeon. Thats who did mine,

There are more Canadians there then Americans. So if you want to give them a call, and enquire about this type of surgery,

I'm sure they will tell you.

I didn't even know that he did this untill he told me my band wouldn't slip he fixed it that way.

That's the best I can say...

This is a very NEW procedure.

The Cleveland Clinic website calls it "LAPAROSCOPIC GASTRIC PLICATION"

It is sewing one or more large folds in the stomach. Reducing the stomach

about 70%. No cutting, no stapling, no removal of the stomach or intestines.

The Cleveland Clinic website has as VIDEO libray showing procedure.

Also pictures on website.

My doctor is going to replace lap band and do the Gastric Plication.

Well I'll be...... That's what I had done, he just never told me the name of it.

This band is stitched in place do to a fold or flap, and it prevents slippage wright?

If I'm wright, I had this for 5 years, and it never slipped. You can feel the pressure

on the upper part of the stomach, but you get use to it as it heals, or breaks in.

It is a good thing. Your band won't slip at all. I think they should all be done like this.

Get back to me after your surgery. I want to see what you think of it, keep in touch O.K...

Shirley.

Cleveland Clinic calls it "LAPAROSCOPIC GASTRIC PLICATION"

It is a very NEW procedure. No cutting, stapling, removal of stomach.

Reduces stomach up to 70%. Minimally invasive.

Cleveland clinic has a VIDEO LIBRARY Introducing the new procedure.

I am having it done in California.

Thank you for giving me your input!

Has to be different then what I had.

But now you understand the way he put my band in place permanently.

Shirley.

I am having this done (no date yet). The plication has a huge curve of 50% weight loss in the first 6 months, and the band provides long term weight maintenance. There is no cutting, stapling; complications are VERY low. My doc is really enthusiastic abut this surgery, and I absolutely can't wait!

I'm having this done April 25th. My doctor thinks this will be the preferred weight loss surgery going forward. I'm interested in hearing from others who have had this done.

so this is kind of like a sleeve without actually removing 3/4 of the stomach? I know the surgeons are all so excited over the sleeve. I was just rebanded and the surgeon (actually two different ones) wanted to do the sleeve. I think because of the slippage issue, it's becoming more popular to do instead of a reband. My first surgeon had never done one...so of course, I wouldn't even consider it. Second surgeon had approval from insurance company to do it if once he got inside and realized he couldn't do another band (because of scar tissue or the original flap not being undone). Luckily he was able to do the band, but I have to admit I'm somewhat anxious with starting the fill process over again. I'm being very cautious my second time around. But I had never heard of this plication procedure

good luck

trisha

I am having this done (no date yet). The plication has a huge curve of 50% weight loss in the first 6 months, and the band provides long term weight maintenance. There is no cutting, stapling; complications are VERY low. My doc is really enthusiastic abut this surgery, and I absolutely can't wait!

I think this is what my surgeon did to me. She said that she was gathering a small part of the under the band and that I would have more success. Not sure though. I will ask at my next check up.