Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ACID REFLUX / INDIGESTION ISSUES

I am 9 weeks out and have one fill of 3 ccs. I have dealt with acid reflux for years. It flares up from time to time. Prior to the band, I would eat things like red meat or chicken and I could feel it work its way through my digestive system until it eventually cleared. Severe indigestion. Now instead of passing, the indigestion is quite painful and I have to regurgitate. What I have found that I need to do, is take something soft or smooth, like yogurt, cottage cheese, skim milk, a Protein Drink to "soothe" the tract so that I cans wallow food. If I dont, I have a miseable eating day. A scrambled egg is impossible to get down, I sucked the juice out of a slice of grapefruit and thought I would die. Even swallowing when I brush upsets my stomach. Do the soothing technique and things are fine. Anyone else experience this or reflux? The staff at the doctor's office says that I am eating too fast and taking too big of bites. I think it is more serious than that. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I have to agree with the staff at your doctor's office. I just got a fill and when I eat too fast and swallow big pieces of meat, I get stuck. I am in so much pain I have to throw up to feel better (I know I should not be doing that, but it is the only way I feel better). I don't get acid reflux anymore at all. So try and slow down your eating and chew, chew and cut off very small pieces of food. I was told the size of an eraser. That seems to work for me. Good luck.

I had terrible acid reflux before my surgery but I have to gladly say, I have not experienced it even once since then. From what I read in the forum, that is usually a sign of being too tight or a slip. I haven't heard of eating too fast being a cause of reflux. (not that that means anything). Well, I hope you get the problem resolved, there is almost nothing worse! Good luck to you!

Toothpaste? Grapefruit juice? Thats eating too fast or too much to swallow? Doesnt happen when I soothe first.

I have to agree with the staff at your doctor's office. I just got a fill and when I eat too fast and swallow big pieces of meat, I get stuck. I am in so much pain I have to throw up to feel better (I know I should not be doing that, but it is the only way I feel better). I don't get acid reflux anymore at all. So try and slow down your eating and chew, chew and cut off very small pieces of food. I was told the size of an eraser. That seems to work for me. Good luck.

You may need a little taken out. There is a sign big as day in my Drs office that if you are having acid reflux, coughing at night you are toooooo tight. I would ask to have at least 1cc removed and see if it doesnt help. You dont always need big increment fills I only started out with 2cc's and my stomach is so sensitive this is only my second fill in a year and three months and all I have is 3 and a half cc's total in my band. Just a thought

I am 18 mos out and never had acid reflux or indigestion from my band untill I was too tight. I had to have some taken out because the upflow of acid was terrible at night. along with the coughing and constantly clearing my throat all night was unbearable. after I had some removed, I started having a terrible, terrible upper back pain at night that awakened me. I have to get up and take an anacid before my Dr. prescribed me something. Anyone else have that back pain?

I am 9 weeks out and have one fill of 3 ccs. I have dealt with acid reflux for years. It flares up from time to time. Prior to the band, I would eat things like red meat or chicken and I could feel it work its way through my digestive system until it eventually cleared. Severe indigestion. Now instead of passing, the indigestion is quite painful and I have to regurgitate. What I have found that I need to do, is take something soft or smooth, like yogurt, cottage cheese, skim milk, a Protein drink to "soothe" the tract so that I cans wallow food. If I dont, I have a miseable eating day. A scrambled egg is impossible to get down, I sucked the juice out of a slice of grapefruit and thought I would die. Even swallowing when I brush upsets my stomach. Do the soothing technique and things are fine. Anyone else experience this or reflux? The staff at the doctor's office says that I am eating too fast and taking too big of bites. I think it is more serious than that. Any thoughts? Thanks!

If you're gaving issues with reflux, I would stay away from things that are acidic like grapefruit. It will only aggravate it. I've been having issues with reflux for the past couple months, and when it flares up, I have trouble eating all day. I'll wake up at night choking if it gets really bad. But what I've found that really works, is I take a Pepcid AC at night, and then one in the morning before Breakfast. It has made a world of difference. And I try to stay away from anything really acidic

Im not so certain that it is too tight - its only 3cc's. My bet is that its acid reflux which was pre-existing. I dont have issues with waking up at night. They were scheduled to examine it before the procedure but decided it wasnt necessary. Ive gone on liquids and soft foods like I did pre-op and things are much better. If I dont soothe first thing in the morning, I cant swallow, if I do soothe, then I belch and it passes. If I soothe, oj and grapefruit juice are not a problem. If I dont, my chest is on fire. Thanks for your input!

My reflux just started back up again yesterday and it was because I made some homemade chicken tortilla Soup....man I wish I could eat stuff like that without issues! It probably would have been okay but I have been off my Prevacid for a few weeks now. They ae so expensive but it's time for a refill.

I had severe reflux for years pre-band. Took Rx for at least 18 yrs. Since surgery, not one problem. My dr says lapband is very similar to surgical correction for reflux. When I go to dr, first question is about reflux. PA says it's a sign of improper adjustment.