Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had the lap band for a while now and I am stuck at my weight of 150-155. I want to jump start my weight loss again. I was thinking doing the Atkins diet plan. But I can only consume 2-4 ounces at one time. How can anyone follow the atkins, with that much restriction. Please help. Andrea M

I have had the lap band for a while now and I am stuck at my weight of 150-155. I want to jump start my weight loss again. I was thinking doing the Atkins diet plan. But I can only consume 2-4 ounces at one time. How can anyone follow the atkins, with that much restriction. Please help. Andrea M

Atkins can be simply done by keeping carbs under 30gm. You can do this no matter how little you're eating. Start with the Protein...about 3 oz (by weight). If you still have room, eat the vegies.

Beats me. .My main worry with diets like this is a bandster's inability to eat large quantities and also the very common problem of not being able to eat much of any fibrous foods like salads. Atkins or any other low carb plan is meant to be eaten with a shedload of leafy greans and low carb vegies. If you follow the "what did you eat today" threads, what a banded low carb diet turns into is Protein shakes, deli meat and cheese. A truly alarming and horrible diet. Protein is great, but its not meant to be the only food group. A quarter cup of Beans a day does not satisfy your body's need for plant foods. You need several cups worth. If you can do low carb like Atkins and eat several cups worth of vegies a day, you have a pretty healthy plan. If you cant, you have a problem.

I would get banded a hundred times over again, its worked so well for me and I have always been an advocate of 2 fruit, five veg a day but I just couldnt manage it with restriction, my fruit and vegie consumption dropped way down. Since i had my band unfilled and have stepped up my fruit and veg intake, my skin, nails and hair are fantastic and I feel great, even though I'm having chemotherapy and have had a huge surgery at the same time! It reinforces to me that banding is a good solution for obesity but it definitely runs the risk of poor nourishment due to restriction in variety of food intake, and I really believe doing something like Atkins without being able to eat huge salads and loads of vegies is probably likely to result in good weight loss but very poor nutrition. Protein alone cannot supply all your body's needs.

I am such a huge advocate for putting good things into our bodies. I have absolutely zero doubt that the toxic foods, vaccines, meds and other environmental wastes that we breathe and consume are the cause of our demise. Even with my un-wavering beliefs I haven't been able to overcome the hold food has on me, and the absolute addiction from these food ingredients. That is why I am now a bandster. You are living proof that what we eat matters...chemotherapy is devastating on the body but proper nutrition and Vitamins CAN be the difference. I'm so sorry you are going through this, but keep strong, I know what you are doing will be all the difference in the world.

Beats me. .My main worry with diets like this is a bandster's inability to eat large quantities and also the very common problem of not being able to eat much of any fibrous foods like salads. Atkins or any other low carb plan is meant to be eaten with a shedload of leafy greans and low carb vegies. If you follow the "what did you eat today" threads, what a banded low carb diet turns into is Protein shakes, deli meat and cheese. A truly alarming and horrible diet. Protein is great, but its not meant to be the only food group. A quarter cup of Beans a day does not satisfy your body's need for plant foods. You need several cups worth. If you can do low carb like Atkins and eat several cups worth of vegies a day, you have a pretty healthy plan. If you cant, you have a problem.

I would get banded a hundred times over again, its worked so well for me and I have always been an advocate of 2 fruit, five veg a day but I just couldnt manage it with restriction, my fruit and vegie consumption dropped way down. Since i had my band unfilled and have stepped up my fruit and veg intake, my skin, nails and hair are fantastic and I feel great, even though I'm having chemotherapy and have had a huge surgery at the same time! It reinforces to me that banding is a good solution for obesity but it definitely runs the risk of poor nourishment due to restriction in variety of food intake, and I really believe doing something like Atkins without being able to eat huge salads and loads of vegies is probably likely to result in good weight loss but very poor nutrition. Protein alone cannot supply all your body's needs.

Atkins or any other low carb plan is meant to be eaten with a shedload of leafy greans and low carb vegies. If you follow the "what did you eat today" threads, what a banded low carb diet turns into is Protein shakes, deli meat and cheese. A truly alarming and horrible diet. Protein is great, but its not meant to be the only food group. A quarter cup of Beans a day does not satisfy your body's need for plant foods. You need several cups worth. If you can do low carb like Atkins and eat several cups worth of vegies a day, you have a pretty healthy plan. If you cant, you have a problem.

Actually, Atkins doesn't require a 'shedload' of vegies. If you ate that many, you'd be over your daily carb count. If I eat 1 cup of green Beans with my lunch and a cup of cooked broccoli for dinner, I will be at my maximum 30gm of carbs (since there are scant carbs even in things like eggs). That's more than the carbs my surgeon's postop diet plan allows since he said 3 oz of protein and 1/2 cup of low carb vegies.

I will agree that many people resort to Protein Shakes, deli meat and cheese...but that is not Atkins nor is it the only way to low carb. Nor should it be an indictment against low carb eating. I eat bacon and eggs for Breakfast, a chef's salad for lunch with roast chicken, hard boiled egg and cheese. For dinner I sometimes eat the same thing or I'll just have my 3 oz of protein and 1 cup vegies.

I eat a very healthy and varied diet. It just doesn't contain grains or fruit...neither of which we absolutely need. The diet given out by the diabetic clinic I go to is almost identical to Atkins...except that they still buy into the low fat, whereas Atkins is 60% fat.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that Atkins is the only way to eat. Just trying to clear up the fact that it's unhealthy. It's just a different way of eating.

Couldn't have said it better. I started off doing low carb (around 20-30) and while I lost most of my weight doing so, I always felt groggy, no energy, etc. Low carb/ketosis diets do work, but I do not think they should be long term. I've had decent restriction without fills, I eat a cup of food at a time and I eat all across the board; grains, veggies, fruits, and so on. I too wonder how some bandsters and even other WLS patients get their required nutrition by looking at some of the "what are you eating threads." It's alarming.

Good luck with your treatment! You'll be in my thoughts.