Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freecycle Do you?

The concept is great and in a more well-to-do part of the country it works great. However, in the two towns I've lived in recently , it is a pain in the neck. People say they are coming to pick something up....they don't show up. They say they want something you have...IF you'll bring it to them or mail it to them!!! They come and get something they claim they need badly ......you see it in the local greensheet the next week for sale.

However.....it's a good idea and I see lots of neat stuff to be given away in other cities.

I just posted my old sectional sofa on there. I have been a member for a while now and have had great results with both giving and recieving until now. I had 4 no show no calls for the sofa. I was getting ready to toss it in the trash when the 5th on the list finally showed up 4 hours late and didn't even say sorry for being late. We just moved to a new area and the people around here are just more lax about being ontime and having manners I guess. I was told that no shows are about 50/50. That kinda sucks but it is a great way to declutter. I am having a garage sale next weekend and whatever doesn't sell is going to be listed on freecycle. ~Mandy

I love love love Freecycle. We have a pretty active board here in Calgary though the whining and bickering that can happen is quite ridiculous. There were many people who felt like people were using it as their personal shopping site and therefore felt the need to whine to the Mods. I could care less if the person who takes all the stuff I'm done with is reselling it or using it. Isn't the point to get rid of it? My DH finds people that surf the board and ask for excessive things rude but I really could care less. There was a guy on there bout a week ago asking for a big screen tv and lo and behold another guy was upgrading to flat screen so they made a match...I say lucky guy. Who cares?

Anyhow enough venting...I still totally love freecycle.

i just joined freecycle this past week. found several things i needed, but no one responded to my answers. we take things to the goodwill as needed, i will try freecycle to see if s/o wants any of it next time we are ready---anyway, it is a good idea, but it does look like people are "no shows" quite a bit from what i have seen on the site.

I have got rid of somethings of free cycle.I have yet to get anything I need just yet. I am looking for college books for my daughter. Even if I get one that saves me a hundred bucks. I have found if I put it out for trash someone will come by and pick it up.So if they do not show up someone else will.

I have belonged to freecycle for about 2 years now. I got one of my doggies on freecycle. I also got concert tickets to see Social Distortion off there from a couple who won them on the radio but couldn't go. I have gotten file cabinets off there. I've given away a truck topper and bed liner on there. Oh and I also got a queen size box spring on there.

The only bad experience I had was I was trying to find a christmas tree stand and a guy that lives in a bad area of town had one but he was insisting that I come pick it up without my husband which freaked me out so I was a NO SHOW.

I love my doggy though!

I have done it for two yrs but am sick of the 150 a day emails and all the bickering and all the people that dont pick up or arent there for you to pick up. I have gotten a few good things and gave some stuff too but it is not always worth the hassle.

I am 50-50 when it comes to this

I also got concert tickets to see Social Distortion off there from a couple who won them on the radio but couldn't go.

Lucky girl! All I get is emails for junk! LOL!