Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Went To This Other Forum and Kinda Wished I Hadn't...

I was perusing the web as usually do on a lazy day at work and I came across another forum. People with all kinds of WLS could discuss their experiences in their own individual groups (ex. lapband, gastric bypass, etc.). So, of couse I go to the Lapband section. I come across a posting of a woman who was over 400 pounds and she was asking peoples' opinions on whether or not she should have the lapband or some other procedure. Just as expected everyone had some STRONG opinions on the lapband including present and former bandsters themselves. I know the lady had a lot of weight to lose and I've heard that some surgeons refuse to do a lapband on someone who has over 100 pounds to lose. I guess because with a lap band you are only supposed to lose 40-50% of your excess weight. I just wanted to get everyone's take on this. I have over 100 pounds to lose even after I've lost damn near 50. Personally, I feel I can do it because I've seen so many success stories and I don't want to "waste" my hard earned money. Am I the only one with over 100 pounds to lose? Have y'all heard this before? What do y'all think?

I know exactly the forum you're mentioning. Keep in mind that those stats aren't the best/most reliable. Remember that the amount of weight you lose is based on your own personal preferences. I have lost 112lbs but 12 more to go. You'll find that plenty people have lost 100% of their excess weight with the band :)

I've heard people say that the band will not work if you have 100 lbs or more to lose. I think people shouldn't make that general sweeping statement. It may work for me, but not the next person. All WLS is different from person to person. I also have over 100 to lose. I've lost 54 so far and I need to lose about 100 more (according to the BMI charts). I think I would be good with losing about 70 more and I think I can do this with the band. I don't think my surgeon would have agreed to put in the band if he didn't think it would work for me. My insurance would have paid him more $$ if I had a bypass, but he isn't about the money. He is all about getting his patients their healthy life back and he thinks I can do that with a band.

I don't have any statistics or anything like that. This is just my opinion and I hope this helps. Have a good day!! :)

I originally had 100 pounds to lose. I am a prebander and my doctor didn't even hesitate when I told him I leaned toward the Band. I was thinking of bypass at one point but just can't get past the 'Cutting of your organs" thing. I know it will be slower and I know it will work. I'm up for it. I think the band is fine if you need to lose 100 pounds and I don't think a doctor would lead you toward failure.....I think bypass is "easier" to some extent because you see the results faster but I think in the long run, losing slowly and learning to really change your life is better. I've seen quite a few of family and friends that did the bypass route (because they were looking for quicker) and have quite a bit of it back. Two of my friends have had the bands and they fluctuate between 5 and 15 pounds but they haven't gained nearly the 80 and 120 pounds they have lost. The one girl has had the band for at least 8 years. FOR ME, If I had another 200 or 250 pounds to lose....I think bypass would be the way I would have went. You have already lost 50 and that is awesome, so I think the band is a great option if you want to lose another 100....you are doing so well.

I weighed 432. It's been 9 months, I've lost 99 pounds I average 10 pounds a month consistantly, my surgeon was very optimistic about me loosing 200 pounds... I'm not quitting till I see Onederland. He said a lot of people loose 50 pounds and then they think "Gee, I've done a great job" and they get a little lax on following the "plan". I feel confident that if I can keep up my dedication I will see Onederland!!!

When I go tthe band three years ago a guideline for many insurances was that you needed to be at least 100 pounds overweight. in order to be covered and many surgeons wouldn't even do it unless you were so this new view on it is all new and strange to me. I have lost a little over 100 pounds and know other who have lost more with the lab band. I think that if you are determined and you follow the rules you can do it just like others have. Don't let anyone discourage you.

TKW: I know we both can!

Jodi: You are right I can't let anyone discourage me. It's just disheartening to hear so much negativity about something that's literally changed the lives of so many people, but to each his own.

When I went to my first consult the nurse asked what surgery I was considering I said LapBand bacause I did not want bypass. She said "well someone of your size (geez thanks) we normally recommend bypass. I was at 334. I had already lost 30 pounds from somewhat monitoring my food and swimming everyday. Though that did'nt revent me from having a stroke at 39.

Anyway, as another poster mentioned one issue is will someone have some success then give themselves license to eat diet unfriendly foods. The problem is when these food decisions become a habit; everyday I have a nonfat frozen yoghurt (sure it's nonfat yoghurt but it's still 200 calories you did'nt need).

The other issue is bypass usually has faster loss right after surgery. If she was at 400 the doctor is probably thinking they need to lower her weight ASAP.

As I mentioned I was at 334 at the start. I was 7.5 months dieting before having surgery. Day of surgery I was at 282. It has taken me a 6 months to reach restriction. I'm hoping this will speed up my weight loss. I am now at 245. That's 89 pounds in 14 months. Presurgery my doctor said we would shot for 150 that I was as a senior in High School (though this was after I lost 100 pounds. I have always been fat). So that means I still have 100 to go.

I know I sound like a cheerleader for the lapband, but I truly hate when someone is told that it doesn't work if you have >100 lbs to lose. Why wouldn't it work? You lose weight the same way regardless of what weight you start at.

Fortunately, my doctor never thought that I was too fat for the band. He thought I would do well, but he never promised that I would lose all of my excess weight. Right now, I'm 28 lbs below where he thought I'd be. The band doesn't work this well for everyone, but I can tell you that you can lose 150 lbs and you don't have to be "perfect" or "fanatical" to do it.

Cindy

OMG, cwm812, WAY TO GO! I'm so motivated by your post and weight loss. Congratulations!

Great post, therealsouthernbelle! I think the lapband is what you make it. If you use it as a tool, it works great. If you misuse it, it will be tough to lose. I also agree with the poster above who said we all lose weight, basically,l the same way; lower the intake, maybe exercise to get rid of extra calories, and if you put out more than take in, you lose. I've had my struggles but I'm back on track. I was misusing the band, in my opinion. Now, I'm hoping to start losing again!

Good luck to you!:)

I have over 100 to lose! It's all about how your work with it... maybe the thought is if you are 400 pounds you won't have the discipline. I'm not sure I would recommend it to someone that large.. I don't know that this would be enough of an intervention between you and food. Also the weight loss is fairly slow, losing 1-2lbs a week, if you need to lose 250lbs... I think you would need it to come off faster.

But yes like said above... I don't know many insurances that would approve it under 100lbs... I mean I tried a few years ago, when I was about 250 (which would still mean i'd need about a 100lb loss), and they didn't approve me, because I didn't have co-morbidies.

I think different forums are run by surgeons/companies that promote certain kinds of surgeries. The primary posters on such forums are going to be advocates of that type of surgery. It's only natural they'd bash anything or anyone who disagrees with their particular type of surgery.

When I started my journey I was going to have the sleeve surgery. I found a forum for that, and I spent a lot of time there. I read lots of posts bashing banding, and bragging up how the sleeve was the only way to go "because banding doesn't work." Oh. Okay. So when my insurance gave me the bad news that they don't pay for sleeve surgery at anywhere other than a military hospital, I was left with banding and bypass as my choices. I selected banding because I felt it was a better fit for me. So far, I've been right. I've not been back to that other forums since finding this one

But even here I find some posts that bash banding. Just because one person has a problem, whether it be a faulty band, their inept surgeon, or the person themselves being unwilling to work within the guidelines, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with banding. So I thnk you need to read between the lines. For all the posts here, negative or otherwise, there are thousands of bandsters out there who aren't posting at all. What is their experience with it? If it was failing, they'd be posting somewhere, asking for help. So I have to presume silence equals success. And if those silent bandsters who aren't having trouble are out there living life to the fullest, it makes a kind of positive post by them not posting at all.

The reason I think some people post negative things is often to either try and gain support for their feelings, or to cause a ruckus among the readers. It's easy to say something negative. And we all know misery loves company. :)

Dave

I have lost 149 and am still losing. I don't understand why people would say that. I never heard it until quite recently,

ohmy.gif

Reverie is right, stats are skewed all the time.......I know they say to expect to lose 40-50% of excess weight only, but everyone I know who's had this has lost ALL their excess weight, including my friend who started at over 300 lbs,. Now keeping it off--another matter, 3 of 4 are still slim 2-3 years out..and the 4th has gained some back, but she also has not kept up with fills beyond year 1.

I know exactly the forum you're mentioning. Keep in mind that those stats aren't the best/most reliable. Remember that the amount of weight you lose is based on your own personal preferences. I have lost 112lbs but 12 more to go. You'll find that plenty people have lost 100% of their excess weight with the band :)