Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What I Wish I Had Known Before Banding

Does anyone regret the surgery because of excess skin after weight loss?

Not Me ! I'd rather have Skin then Fat.

Eventually down the road, you might be able to get the skin removed.

But isn't that a big surgery?

Depends what you need done ?

Some people get a Tummy Tuck, and maybe there arms or legs done. (Dr.'s offer package deals too.)

Some people have a TOTAL BODY LIFT!

I new of a woman that had that done, they kept her medicated for about 2 weeks, then allow another 2 weeks for the swelling to go down, and she looked Great !

But I would not go that far just to wear a Bikini.

[/quote

She looked like a Model though, and loved it....

No Thanks !

yeah, I would be happy with a tankini lol

I wish I had known I was going to be F**KING HUNGRY ALL THE TIME. ;)

I ADORE you!!! biggrin.gif

I hope I'm not spoiling anything, but I am painting a bright, shiny picture.

I had surgery at a Center of Excellence and had no pain, the best treatment

I've ever had at a hospital, the educational portion was excellent, and to date,

I have so little hunger, I don't think I'll bother with fills. I know this thread was

to point out problems with the band, but I haven't had any. I'm not selling

the band and I think anyone considering WLS should explore all types,

and research each type thoroughly. This is for life and an informed decision

is important.

thank you very much for your honesty and effort to communicate with people you don't know. I am pre-band, and the fact that my brain will tell me to eat more than it needs, like it does now, will not change. I will have to change my 'inner dialog'. I'm frightened by the high rate of infections and slippages and reversals, some studies putting it at almost 50%. Yikes. But, I'm exhausting myself hauling around 100lbs. of extra weight. I plan on doing it, and I hope that I'm lucky. Hope, hope, hope. Deb

I like you am pre surgery and of course questioning myself, scaring myself with others stories, etc.I too saw the study you refer to with high slippage rates. However much of what you find on the internet is limited and biased. If you have access (like at a college) you can get evidence based practice and peer reviewed information on the lap band. I saw one Dr. use you tube to show how bad the band is while he promoted his surgical cure for weight loss. I have to say ALL surgery comes with risks. But you are more likely to find information onthe internet from those who had trouble rather than those who did not because they are out living their new lives not writing about it on the net. I will go into this with open eyes and you and I will make the right decision and follow you doctors instruction and be successful.

Okay, I'll play! I still have a lonnng road to go, but here are some things I wish I knew:

:huh: I wihs I knew the for at least the first 2 months I would be dieting on my own without restriction. (it can take several fills)

:unsure: I thought I had my BIG last supper before surgery-but I could eat the same amount of food now without a probem

:huh: I aso wish I had tried Totally Lean GNC Swiss Choc Protein Shake before I spent money on all those crappy tasting shakes

;) I wish I could be better with mushies but they simply don't fill me enough-I add a little more then mushies to my diet (still being good though)

:mellow: I wish I knew that I would barey see my surgeon at al! HE is SO busy and the visits go so quick!

:angry: I wish I knew the weight was going to come off A LOT slower than I thought!

:P With al that being said I canhonestly say that I am looking forward to this journey. I can't wait to lose weight!!

Hi!

From your weight loss graph it seems like you started at the same BMI as I am currently (40ish) and there fore are looking at a similar loss to meet our goal. Was it difficult to get approval without being severely or morbidly obese from the start? Do you have any co-morbidity issues? Just curious is all. I am currently at aprox 265lbe and my goal is 175ish. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Sounds like you are doing great! Keep it up. What has your weight loss rate been roughly? Thanks for your response

For me, the number 1 thing I wish I knew is that after surgery I'd be a total bag o' gas :blink: OMG, if it's not coming outta one end, it's the other. And the crazy loud and long burps are just... so... satisfying.

oh and that gas pains can land you in the ER.... so let them burps roll ladies and gents, holding them in is bad.

:P

First..LOVE THIS THREAD.

Im in the beginning stages of all this and had some questions about some of the things here.

1) The Gas! Does it go away or is this something you have to live with for the rest of your life?

2) Pain medication...Can I never take a pill form of medication again? I seen someone say that they had to take liquid Tylenol and all that..is this forever?

3) Do you eventually "not feel" your port..like getting dental work or something..you feel it for the first few weeks then after that you just kinda forget its there?

4) When people say they "Platue" is there something to kick start it again or is it just a wait and see kinda thing?

First..LOVE THIS THREAD.

Im in the beginning stages of all this and had some questions about some of the things here.

1) The Gas! Does it go away or is this something you have to live with for the rest of your life?

2) Pain medication...Can I never take a pill form of medication again? I seen someone say that they had to take liquid Tylenol and all that..is this forever?

3) Do you eventually "not feel" your port..like getting dental work or something..you feel it for the first few weeks then after that you just kinda forget its there?

4) When people say they "Platue" is there something to kick start it again or is it just a wait and see kinda thing?

1. My gas pains lasted 5-6 days. Some people it last a little longer. But yes it goes away.

2.I take pills. I have a horse pill. I use to break mine in half, but at 4 cc's I don't have any issues of anything getting stuck.

3.I've never felt my port. I got lots of belly fat. Or are y talking about from the inside? I eat and drink but don't feel anything unless I eat too fast.

4. I'm in a plateau and I guess you have to wait it out? I dunno really. I've upped calories, work out and even Water fasted. No one knows why a person not even close to goal just stalls. My surgeon