Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to plan to return to work

I am due to be banded on Wed 09 MAR 2011 and return to work on the 12th. I am a flight attendant and my job requires bending, lifting and long periods of standing. Any suggestions on return to work time frame or any ideas to make it more tolerable?

Thanks

I am due to be banded on Wed 09 MAR 2011 and return to work on the 12th. I am a flight attendant and my job requires bending, lifting and long periods of standing. Any suggestions on return to work time frame or any ideas to make it more tolerable?

Thanks

I took a full 7 days off. After 4 days I felt like I was ready to return, but I just enjoyed the time off. I did run around doing errands, etc. after 3 days.

I had my surgery on a Thursday and returned to work on Tuesday. I got a little tired towards the end of that first day back, but I attribute that to still being on Clear liquids. (I only have a desk job though.)

My doctor said no lifting for a certain period of time - I thought it was a couple of weeks. Good luck to you.

I had my surgery last Friday, had to stay in the hospital overnight but felt great on Sunday. Went back to work yesterday at a desk job and worked the whole day - was a little tired by the end of the day but did ok. I worked today and again, a little tired at the end of the day but doing great. I didn't take any pain meds at all so didn't have any driving restrictions. I feel really good but was told no lifting anything over 10 pounds for 4-6 weeks. The hospital gave me a binder to wrap around my stomach and it has made all the difference in the world. I have been able to sleep on my side for the last two nights comfortably. I am really surprised at how good I feel. Everyone is different so your experience may be different, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was as smooth as it has been so far. The one thing that I can say as a negative is the gas bubbles - I have been burping a lot and it's a little uncomfortable at times, but I can handle it.

Good luck to you!

wow, 2 days might be pushing it. you'll more than likely still be on pain meds! i had my surgery on a monday, spent the night in the hospital (my choice) and didn't feel "human" gain until day 4. i also have a desk job and i didn't go back to work until the following tuesday. with the bending and leaning and pushing with your job... you might need more time off.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents here...I had surgery last Friday the 25th. I am a teacher and went back to work today. Now I do not consider myself a wimp but I was soo weak that I am taking tomorrow off. I feel okay as far as pain goes but the liquid diet is what kills ya because it's like you've had the flu for a week. Now on the other hand I know another person who was banded on the same day and in the hospital she was visiting me just raring to go...she went back to work Tuesday and is doing great. All in all it just depends on how you do. I thought I would be like that other girl...I've had gall bladder surgery and 2 c sections...never had any problems with anesthesia and I was a mess! (not to scare you...it's all good now :) ) I hope everything goes well for you and wish you a very speedy recovery!!

Hi New Bandit

I have yet to be banded but my cousin is a flight attendant and boy you guys do a lot of up and down'ing. That may cause you a bit of discomfort. Hate to prolong your recovery by irritatiing your incisions. Good luck to you! :D

I'm taking 2 weeks, using short term disability so that it's paid time off. Would like to be able to eat more than just liquids before I go back to work.

I'm being banded on Monday March 7th. I planned to return to work Thursday March 10th but I'll take more time If I have to. I have a desk job, you on the other hand will have to move around so you may want to take more time.. Good Luck

I was banded on Monday and returned to my desk job today. I will say in my dress clothes I was very uncomfortable with my pants and my incisions. I would recommend taking off longer if you are a flight attendant. There is no way you will be ok tugging your luggage around and all the bending and maneuvering you will have to do.

Amanda, you will be good having surgery on a monday and returning on Thursday like me. I would recommend one more day though. I wanted to come home at lunch today.

Good luck!

I am being banded on Thursday, 3/10. I am taking off work from 3/10 until 3/28. This was my surgeon's recommendation. He said he felt that you shouldn't go back to work until off Clear Liquids, because you feel so rough. I have over three months sick leave so I have more than enough time.

Thank you all so much for your input on time off for the procedure. I have months of sick bank, I just hate to call in sick if I don't really have to or can take a really easy trip. I appreciate your explanations on what your limitations were during your recovery. This has been really fundamental in determining what to do about sick leave and such.

Best wishes to each and everyone of you!