Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not everyone is going to support you

I have told basically everyone that I am getting banded and only a few people support my decision. My supervisor said, "You eat too much! Hopefully that band won't bust!" She went on to say that I will gain double the weight back that I lose and my stomach will hang to my knees...blah blah blah. FYI: she's fat! I can use the word "fat" because I fall under the category....lol. Another friend of mine thinks that I won't lose weight with the band because she didn't. She says I will be mad at myself later.

I LOVE the negative feedback!!!! I LOVE proving people wrong!!! My lap band surgery is on March 8th! I will be successful in this journey! I'm not worried about the people who say I can't make it or don't believe in me! This is something I am doing for myself and for my children. I believe this procedure is perfect for me and I believe I will be a success story! I know that because I found this website and there are plenty of people on here who are a success story! Can't WAIT until March 8th!!!!

Hey sweetie I'm being banded March 7th...you are right not everyone will support your choice, but the good thing is even if they don't it's still your choice to make and your choice to be a success. You have a great support system here on this site. Gook Luck to you!!!!

Thank you, dear! I agree. Also, we have some things in common. I am 280 (4 lbs shy of 276) and my goal weight is 170! And our surgery date is a day apart. Good luck to you on your journey to being fit and fine!!! =)

Hey sweetie I'm being banded March 7th...you are right not everyone will support your choice, but the good thing is even if they don't it's still your choice to make and your choice to be a success. You have a great support system here on this site. Gook Luck to you!!!!

Thank you, dear! I agree. Also, we have some things in common. I am 280 (4 lbs shy of 276) and my goal weight is 170! And our surgery date is a day apart. Good luck to you on your journey to being fit and fine!!! =)

Be sure to keep me updated..How are your doing on your pre-op diet?

Extra Extra Good Luck to you on your journey. Enjoy proving them wrong, you won't even have to tell them to their faces cuz they'll be able to see it.!!!!! I love my band, best thing I've ever done for myself!

Won't it be great to see their faces when you start wearing sexy clothes and look great in them? I'll bet they will be green with envy! But seriously I'm not telling anyone but my immediate family. Not even MIL because I can just hear it now "Oh why don't you just do Weight Watchers? bla blah blah". Yeah whatever.

Yeah I loved listening to people talk about how this doesn't work, when I did it in July 2010. Now at least 3 of those "doubting Debbies" have already started their pre-op routines. Just for laughs I tell them constantly it isn't gonna work. They don't laugh.

Just remember, this is for you, screw what everyone else thinks.

I have told basically everyone that I am getting banded and only a few people support my decision. My supervisor said, "You eat too much! Hopefully that band won't bust!" She went on to say that I will gain double the weight back that I lose and my stomach will hang to my knees...blah blah blah. FYI: she's fat! I can use the word "fat" because I fall under the category....lol. Another friend of mine thinks that I won't lose weight with the band because she didn't. She says I will be mad at myself later.

I LOVE the negative feedback!!!! I LOVE proving people wrong!!! My lap band surgery is on March 8th! I will be successful in this journey! I'm not worried about the people who say I can't make it or don't believe in me! This is something I am doing for myself and for my children. I believe this procedure is perfect for me and I believe I will be a success story! I know that because I found this website and there are plenty of people on here who are a success story! Can't WAIT until March 8th!!!!

I am glad you have a good attitude about it.! We don't expect people to agree with what we are doing but to be sensitive to our choice. Most of the people that make those kinds of remarks have no idea how it works. They will continue to say what they want to say just keep your head up and you will be shining soon. This is not the easy way out. Just because it didn't work for someone else doesn't mean that it wont work for you. March 8th will be here before you know it!!! Congrats and I look forward to seeing your post and progress. Add me to your friends so I can follow your journey I am just starting out on mine. March 8th the case manager calls me and discusses the plan with me. Then on March 25th I go for my group consult...after that I need my appt with the surgeon. My insurance requires that I have to do a 6 month nutrition via phone.They said my surgery would be late July or in August. I was thinking August because that is 6 moths. I am married and have three kids. The reason why I am doing this is number one to be healthy and to rid myself from pre diabetic. Also my Brother died on Mothers day May 10th 2009 he had a heart attack. My Brother was 34 years healthy and fit and also a Fireman. Loosing him was a major eye opener to get my but in gear. I am choosing to no tell anyone because I don't want my parents to worry . they have been through too much and I dont want them to worry about me. I cant tell my husband side there wouldn't understand and make remarks. So I am saving myself the trouble and not saying a word. My husband is extremely supportive and will be there on the important day's. Belive me I wish I could tell people but it's kinda like being over weight and getting critized all the time. Just how they said you ate too much!!! That is just wrong. We know when we have this surgery that we cant go back to our old ways. Listen to you heart and do what it tells you to do.I am excited to here from you when you rocking that band and people have there foot in there mouth lol. Good luck and best wishes. Thanks Jen

I am glad you have a good attitude about it.! We don't expect people to agree with what we are doing but to be sensitive to our choice. Most of the people that make those kinds of remarks have no idea how it works. They will continue to say what they want to say just keep your head up and you will be shining soon. This is not the easy way out. Just because it didn't work for someone else doesn't mean that it wont work for you. March 8th will be here before you know it!!! Congrats and I look forward to seeing your post and progress. Add me to your friends so I can follow your journey I am just starting out on mine. March 8th the case manager calls me and discusses the plan with me. Then on March 25th I go for my group consult...after that I need my appt with the surgeon. My insurance requires that I have to do a 6 month nutrition via phone.They said my surgery would be late July or in August. I was thinking August because that is 6 moths. I am married and have three kids. The reason why I am doing this is number one to be healthy and to rid myself from pre diabetic. Also my Brother died on Mothers day May 10th 2009 he had a heart attack. My Brother was 34 years healthy and fit and also a Fireman. Loosing him was a major eye opener to get my but in gear. I am choosing to no tell anyone because I don't want my parents to worry . they have been through too much and I dont want them to worry about me. I cant tell my husband side there wouldn't understand and make remarks. So I am saving myself the trouble and not saying a word. My husband is extremely supportive and will be there on the important day's. Belive me I wish I could tell people but it's kinda like being over weight and getting critized all the time. Just how they said you ate too much!!! That is just wrong. We know when we have this surgery that we cant go back to our old ways. Listen to you heart and do what it tells you to do.I am excited to here from you when you rocking that band and people have there foot in there mouth lol. Good luck and best wishes. Thanks Jen

Great attitude! It's a shame that some people out there have to be so negative. Way to NOT let them bring you down! I'm right there with you...on March 8th we both will be taking a that proverbial leap of faith and we will not fail!!

I cannot even imagine being surrounded by such negative people. It almost sounds like they want to sabotage you psychologically! Of everyone I've told, a couple have been skeptical, but no one's tried to paint me as a failure or shame me out of it.

Good for you for not listening. Hope it works out.

I am like you....when folks told me all the horror stories they knew about - it made me all the more determined! Thank you for your post, it reminded me again why I went through the surgery and how determined I was then....I need to find that determination again so I can get rid of these last pounds! :blink:

Good luck - you will do great, just be patient as it doesn't go as fast as one would like, but slow and steady wins the race!

Kim

:rolleyes: Wow! I love reading all of this encouragement! I wish I had found this site prior to my procedure in June 2009!

I had my band placed on my birthday in 2009 to signify a rebirth. I began at 274# and am now stalled between 200 - 210#. This is a choice, and it isn't for everyone. People that show their ignorance by being negative are best to remove from your circle of friends, in the end they could sabotage you. Try to keep in mind the 'why' of your choice...I know people that have been successful and unsuccessful on this journey--to be successful you MUST remember this is a tool to help you achieve your goal. Be realistic in your expectations, and most importantly--listen to your physician's guidelines! This journey will be difficult, but when you see the results--well worth the wait! I remember thinking that the scale wasn't moving, why did i make this choice above others, this is sooo hard...and before I knew it--my clothes didn't fit! Too big! Whoo hoooo! Time to reward myself with a little shopping! LOL Then I began to think, hmmm--I am still losing--sooo, I found a friend and we swapped clothes during this journey--FUN!

I am currently looking into my 'remodel' because I don't ultimately want to be the 'skinny' weight that I had thought. To confess, I do need to get back with the program and quit cheating myself with my progress, or lack of...LOL So, here I am--ready to recommit, and finish what I started!

Cheers to your decision on getting healthy--you won't regret it!