Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everybody, I've finally made up my mind that I am going to get the band. I have my first appointment on Monday...I'm both excited as well as scared, but I know I have to do this in order to be healthy again. I'm 45 and weigh over 300lbs for the first time in my life. No matter what I try, I can lose 30lbs and then put that back on and more (I've been doing this for about 10 years now) and it is getting harder as I get older.

I'm so excite about this, but scared at the same time, today I start my research.

Congrats on your decision! I was banded in May 2010 and don't regret it one bit. Please do your research about the band and definitely ask any questions you have.

I just love your User name! I feel the same way. It took me one year just to make an appointment. I am now waiting for an approval and excited to gettin this fat off. I just need a little help and I believe the lap band is gonna give me that extra push. Just make an appointment, go to a few of the support group meetings and do your research. Then the right decision will come to you. Good Luck!

FeFe

Best of luck-we are all in this together and I have found this site to be wonderfully supportive. I too am 45 and took 5 years to decide to do this. I am ready for my new life and a healthier me. Welcome to the group!!

Hello everybody, I've finally made up my mind that I am going to get the band. I have my first appointment on Monday...I'm both excited as well as scared, but I know I have to do this in order to be healthy again. I'm 45 and weigh over 300lbs for the first time in my life. No matter what I try, I can lose 30lbs and then put that back on and more (I've been doing this for about 10 years now) and it is getting harder as I get older.

I'm so excite about this, but scared at the same time, today I start my research.

hi, I"m new also. I'm at 318, and I decided I was interested in getting the lapband about 5 years ago. Last summer I had an experience that sealed it for me and I and a friend went to an information session by the surgeon my dr recommended. I had to wait to get started in jan due to my insurance benefits card being loaded with a higher limit. I had my initial consult to have my dr write the letter for surgery and my mental health eval befor I went to the dietitian consult, then 2 wks later got my approval from the insurance. I go for surgery befor and after care session on Mar 9 and am currently awaiting a call from my surgeons office to go in an schedule a surgery date. They tell me it will probably be early april as he is booked up through march. I just started my preop liquid diet to day. Like you I am very excited at this juncture. I just want to offer my support as we are in about the same place, I'm 53. Search a local support group as well as this site. But I gotta say this site keeps me on track and is a good reality check for me, Good luck on your journey!!

Welcome! This is a great place to come for information and support! Ask as many questions as you can think of. The more informed you are the better. There is lots of information on this site. Look around and learn.

Congratulations on your decision to get healthy.

Cuote name='getthisfatoff' timestamp='1298477671' post='1577644']

Congrats on your decision. I know it was not an easy one to make. Had my band on 2/17/2011 and am doing really well. Down almost 14lbs. The first week is difficult, just do what your doctor says and make sure you get up and walk around it will help.

Hi,

Congrats on your decision! I too have decided to get the lapband. I have an appointment in april and can't wait. Although my family doctor doesn't know if I will be a candidate . I figure my BMI is 35-36, and I have been diagnosed with diabetes, so, I think I should be a candidate :) I am 50 years old and am fed up with all this yo-yo dieting . I am so good at gaining it back. I have dieted my way up to 250 lbs. Enough is enough.I am so thankful that I have found this site,there is so much info.

Hi,

Congrats on your decision... I have made the dicision to get banded as well. I am at 288 and am tired of having all of this fat on me!! I have done a LOT of research on this and have come to the conclusion that this is the tool for me.

I have an appointment with the surgeon on 3/11 and can't wait to find out when my surgery date will be. I'm thinking it will be either late March or early April and am very excited and a little scared. My family and friends have been very supportive, I don't think that I could do this without them.

Good luck again..... this is a great forum with a lot of support. Keep us updated on your progress.

Faith

Congrats!! I'm awaiting Insurance approval, I am 42 yrs and 244lbs and been struggling to lose this weight for about ten years. It has taken my a year and LOTS of research to make this decision. I have met with my surgeon and done all the steps now it's up to the Ins. It's so exciting but scary too.

It seems that there are many of us mid 40s folks. Maybe it took us this long to get the courage... or I know for me it took a 3 year old grandson to make me realize that I wanted to be healthier and live longer. Good luck to those of you in the decision and pre-surgery processes.

I had my surgery last September and haven't regretted it for even a moment. But just know that while the band was a blessing and life-saver (literally), I still have to make the right food choices and exercise... every single day.

Hello.....and welcome. I'm a newbie here, and just had the surgery last wed. I have been overweight my entire life, but it took until last year for me to say, out loud, I'm overweight. That was hard. I don't have any negatives from this experience, but the more u know, the better off u will be. I suggest changing your eating style and lifestyle as soon as possible. This made the transition, for me, so much easier. I have a long road ahead of me still, but I'm optimistic.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Jessi